Let us celebrate the winner of the 2007 TDF.

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by thecyclist, Jul 29, 2007.

1. thecyclist

thecyclist New Member

The REAL winner!

[​IMG]

Tags:

2. RedFury

RedFury New Member

Totally agree with you, cyling's next budding superstar should be celebrated.

I'll just correct your obviously innocent mistake re: the picture. I mean I can see why you'd get them confused since they look like fraternal twins face-wise, but still, THIS IS THA MAN -- not the hormone-chugging muscleman in your picture:

[​IMG]

Y con un par! Viva Contador!

3. thoughtforfood

thoughtforfood New Member

4. SaintAndrew

SaintAndrew New Member

as per usual, the real winner is:

[​IMG]

5. RedFury

RedFury New Member

Here's a couple more -- I'm sure you'll get used to seeing many similar ones throughout the years. Might as well get you started:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Say, thanks for the thread...great idea. The very least Alberto deserves in a Contador Hater's Forum.

Cheers.

PS-Must admit, that's a mighty good-looking flag he's wearing around his shoulders. I could swear it looks a lot like the one in my avatar. ;)

6. thecyclist

thecyclist New Member

Alberto deserves to be thrown out like Ulle and Basso and the Chicken.

7. RedFury

RedFury New Member

Yep. And your Momma.

8. NJK

NJK New Member

Just think Red Fury that could have been Valverde if he had not cleaned up his act a bit. If he had moved to Disco that could have been him. Next yr you may have Mancebo and that superstar of the past Sevilla.

9. thecyclist

thecyclist New Member

RedFury dosn't care. He is spanish and so supports dopping.

10. RedFury

RedFury New Member

Not the thread for it, as this one (as per the OP) is a homage to the '07 TdF winner. But let me assure you that beyond Contador (never mind Balaverde, who's still going to surprise a few of you) we have a very promising generation of young riders. There are two in particular that I'll inform you about in due time.

(we still have them in The Lab)

11. thoughtforfood

I think Contador is a doper; I think there is just too much to performance as an indication.

Taking that into account, I do believe that Valverde rode this tour clean, or at least without blood doping, and I feel proud of him. He appears to me to have the heart of a real champion, and I hope that when all of this washes out, he will have the chance to ride a tour against clean competition because I think he clearly shows the potential to win any race in which he is entered.

12. Trajectum

Trajectum New Member

Well let me be the one then...

Congrats RedFury. Spain has another champion. Controversial.. ah well. Name me the last champion that wasnt. He is standing here with his jellow jersey and noone else.

I hope Thomas Dekker improves a bit more over the next ~3 years though. Let him fight it out with Alberto in 2010.

13. RedFury

RedFury New Member

:::cough cough:::

Would you like a hit Mr Bonds? No? Mrs Marion? J Gatlin? Mr Lewis? How about we just take T&F, the NBA and the NFL and call them out for being the steroid freaks they are?

Yeah sure, the problem's doping-paradise, Spain.:rolleyes:

14. thoughtforfood

Yep, you win that one....we do appear to have the best doping in the world, just a fact.

15. RedFury

RedFury New Member

Thank you, sir, for being the first gracious poster in this thread vis-a-vis Alberto. And indeed all the best to Dekker as well. I happen to love competition no matter where it comes from.

16. thecyclist

thecyclist New Member

I'm not american. In the NFL it's a level playing field unlike in cycling where some are thrown out but others like Contador are protected by the corrupt spanish goverment.

17. RedFury

RedFury New Member

No hard-feelings my man. But as you well know it's easy to see the mote in the other's eye...

Having said that, yeah, I wish to hell that sports (in general) were all clean. Then again, I'd also like to have St Nick back.

Point being, I think the only difference (at leat in most cases) that separates Pro-sports from the WWF is that we truly don't know the outcomes -- nor, for the most part do the athletes involved.

Once I stop believing that, I'll stop watching. That's all.

Lastly, besides the fact that a countryman of mine won (which obviously makes me happy), I really do think the in general and depite all the bad rep, cycling is likely one of the sports that is working the hardest to clean itself up. Yeah, I know, right out of The Twilight Zone...but there you have it.

18. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Bruyneel has to be seen as brilliant. Disco dominated this TDF even more then during the LA years. This gives him 8 wins out of 9 years. He took LL to the podium too. That was brilliant leaving LL just sitting there until the final TT.

Bruyneel will have a fine team when a sponsor is located. He has a young TDF winner set to dominate over the next few years with a fine team behind him. He has exceeded all expectations.
    Congratulations to Bruyneel !!!!!!!!!

19. Trajectum

Trajectum New Member

Without taking away any credit from DC and with the fear of coming of as annoying.. The tour was dominated by Rasmussen and the Rabos.. Noone thought Rabobank had a team that could adequatly defend yellow. Noone thought Rasmussen would have enough support in the mountains. But they did. Untill Rasmussen was withdrawn from the race this was the year of Rabobank.

20. thoughtforfood

No, I actually think you are correct. I know for a fact that American Pro sports are rife with doping, and that a blind eye is turned all around.

Cycling just gets a bad rap because they do get tested, and there is a serious effort to clean up the sport. I truly believe that what is happening now will pay dividends. I will always watch cycling irrespective of my belief in the amount of doping. I believe that at this tour, we saw some very good riders decide to try it clean. Next year, there will be a tour, and it will be even cleaner than this one. It will probably not be perfect, but there will come a time when a tour goes by without a positive. There will always be people who love to watch the chess match that is a cycling race, and because of that, sponsors will come back (assuming many will leave, which I think is probable). Now, if they would just get rid of the radios.....but that is another gripe.