L'Etape du Tour - Greg Lemond rode it!

donrhummy

Jan 5, 2006
LeMond rode with 7,000 amateurs in Monday's "L'Etape du Tour," the same course the Tour will follow in Stage 15 in the Pyrenees. LeMond finished the 122-mile ride in 701st place with a time of 8 hours 41 minutes 18 seconds. The winner was recently retired pro Nicolas Fritsch in 6:21:41.

I believe his son also rode too but not sure of his time. Anyone know?

(BTW, the BBC had a piece on this and listed Lemond as a two-time TDF winner. :rolleyes: )

(See pics below in third post)

donrhummy said:
(BTW, the BBC had a piece on this and listed Lemond as a two-time TDF winner. :rolleyes: )

Well, his '89 win doesn't count because he had cheater bars on. (BBC is getting their cycling info from across the channel, no?)

donrhummy said:
LeMond rode with 7,000 amateurs in Monday's "L'Etape du Tour," the same course the Tour will follow in Stage 15 in the Pyrenees. LeMond finished the 122-mile ride in 701st place with a time of 8 hours 41 minutes 18 seconds. The winner was recently retired pro Nicolas Fritsch in 6:21:41.

I believe his son also rode too but not sure of his time. Anyone know?

Wasn't able to find Geoffrey's stats but I found his pictures:

Geoffrey Lemond
5005591.jpg

5012230.jpg

4972892.jpg

Greg Lemond
4996095.jpg

4964058.jpg

4983739.jpg

It says a lot about Lemond's intrinsic talent when he can place in the top 10% (nearly) while carrying that much weight.

^^ Me too. Gotta train the mountain climbing a bit more first though.

Bro Deal said:
It says a lot about Lemond's intrinsic talent when he can place in the top 10% (nearly) while carrying that much weight.

I agree. I think if he trained just 1 year for it, he could place top 30 in Etape and possibly even win. He's that good of a natural talent.

With his weight, think of the power output he had to have to go 14+ miles an hour over a very tough stage course! :eek:

Wow both look like your average Fred's on a organized century... amazing.

That's one hell of ride for Geoffrey at age, what, 20? 19?

Also, I like how they gave Greg number 1.

kennf said:
That's one hell of ride for Geoffrey at age, what, 20? 19?

Also, I like how they gave Greg number 1.

Should have numbered him "Bargearse"..... my god....... who's been force feeding LeMond ?

Great performance by LeMond.

The year I completed the Etape, Indurain did it.
And Indurain packed before 100Km !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(sorry, I couldn't resist that).

But fair dues to LeMond : don't be fooled by these guys and weight.
The muscle memory of these guys would make them a hell of a lot better than us Freds.

limerickman said:
Great performance by LeMond.

The year I completed the Etape, Indurain did it.
And Indurain packed before 100Km !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(sorry, I couldn't resist that).

But fair dues to LeMond : don't be fooled by these guys and weight.
The muscle memory of these guys would make them a hell of a lot better than us Freds.

Did you get to ride next to Indurain? Any pics?

Greg was on the set of the talk show Le Vélo Club that takes place after each stage of the Tour de France, along with his two sons Geoffrey and Scott.

Greg talked about 'L'étape du Tour' that he rode last Monday, and a bit of it was shown, showing Greg and his son posing on the starting line. He said that his son was in the 30 first, but didn't manage to get a proper "ravitaillement". He also said that he had made a bet of 10 euros with a friend for who would finish first, and really pushed himself to arrive before that friend and finished more tired than on any stage of the Tour during his career.

http://admirelemond.blogspot.com/2007/07/au-vlo-club.html

donrhummy said:
Wasn't able to find Geoffrey's stats but I found his pictures:

Geoffrey Lemond
5005591.jpg

5012230.jpg

4972892.jpg

Greg Lemond
4996095.jpg

4964058.jpg

4983739.jpg
Jesus. Lemond needs to draw on some of that intestinal fortitude that won him three Tours and push his fat ****ing ass away from the dinner table.

And what's up with his kids positioning on the bike? His damn bars up around his ears.

Other than that, bravo! Wat to go Greg. Whoopi-******-doooo!

lucybears said:
Greg was on the set of the talk show Le Vélo Club that takes place after each stage of the Tour de France, along with his two sons Geoffrey and Scott.

Greg talked about 'L'étape du Tour' that he rode last Monday, and a bit of it was shown, showing Greg and his son posing on the starting line. He said that his son was in the 30 first, but didn't manage to get a proper "ravitaillement". He also said that he had made a bet of 10 euros with a friend for who would finish first, and really pushed himself to arrive before that friend and finished more tired than on any stage of the Tour during his career.

http://admirelemond.blogspot.com/2007/07/au-vlo-club.html
Thanks! Let us know when you post the youtube of Lemond and Fignon.

So did his son really finish top 30? Not bad. I was able to find his pics but his number didn't work, I guess that's what Lemond's referring to.

whiteboytrash said:
Should have numbered him "Bargearse"..... my god....... who's been force feeding LeMond ?
I think you'll find he's retired and doesn't need to keep to a racing weight, why shouldn't he enjoy some of the finer things in life. And he'd still kick your sorry butt.

niedermeyer said:
I think you'll find he's retired and doesn't need to keep to a racing weight, why shouldn't he enjoy some of the finer things in life. And he'd still kick your sorry butt.

He kick all our butts, BUT enjoying the finer things doesn't mean you have to pack on 50 pounds.

Two points:

1) I give Lemond some leeway about his weight, I have heard part of it has to do with his health issues.

2) Does anyone else feel really old seeing his kid being that old, after seeing him (or was it Scott) on the podium with Greg????