Lethal tree - chop 'em all down!!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Bl**dy trees now. It's bad enough bl**dy cyclists on the roads, not paying their road tax and all of
    that - bl**dy Lycra louts. Now the trees are getting in the way of cars.

    See <http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=52587&intarticlenum
    ber=9&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30>

    The link is probably temporary, so the full text is below.

    "PLEA TO REMOVE DEATH CRASH TREE A plea has been made to remove a tree from a Suffolk roadside after
    it was involved in a second fatal accident.

    James Barnes, 20, of Kelsale, was killed when his car left the B1119 road at Knoddishall and
    struck the tree.

    In 2001, Marcia Whenman of Leiston died after hitting the same tree. Her family raised concerns
    after her crash and are reiterating their worries again.

    RECEIVED: 24/04/2003 16:15:20 "

    Whilst I feel for the families and friends of those who have lost their lives, one has to wonder
    about the implication of some sort of devil tree taking over the minds of poor motorists, causing
    them to collide with the tree ... Perhaps the trees generate electromagnetic fields strong enough to
    attract the cars off the roads and into the tree???

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Dr

    Dr Guest

    "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote

    > James Barnes, 20, of Kelsale, was killed when his car left the B1119 road
    at
    > Knoddishall and struck the tree.

    So the car managed to that all by itself? Perhaps the tree is magnetic.

    David Roberts

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 24 Apr 2003 20:32:57 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >PLEA TO REMOVE DEATH CRASH TREE

    Quite so. And while they're about it, buldoze all those houses and things which get in the way. The
    only way to ensure safety for drivers with room-temperature IQs is to pave the entire country.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
    of [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    > Bl**dy trees now. It's bad enough bl**dy cyclists on the roads, not paying their road tax and all
    > of that - bl**dy Lycra louts. Now the trees are getting in the way of cars.

    You have to see things from the tree's point of view - which goes back to a time when humans didn't
    rush about so fast. I recommend Ursula LeGuin's short story on the subject, published in The Winds
    Twelve Quarters.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  5. Chilly

    Chilly Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bl**dy trees now. It's bad enough bl**dy cyclists on the roads, not paying their road tax and all
    > of that - bl**dy Lycra louts. Now the trees are
    getting
    > in the way of cars.
    >
    > See <http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=52587&intarticlenum
    > ber=9&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30>
    >
    > The link is probably temporary, so the full text is below.
    >
    > "PLEA TO REMOVE DEATH CRASH TREE A plea has been made to remove a tree from a Suffolk roadside
    > after it was involved in a second fatal accident.
    >
    > James Barnes, 20, of Kelsale, was killed when his car left the B1119 road
    at
    > Knoddishall and struck the tree.
    >
    > In 2001, Marcia Whenman of Leiston died after hitting the same tree. Her
    family
    > raised concerns after her crash and are reiterating their worries again.

    I know that tree.....honest!

    It's only a few hundred yards from my house. The road it's on is a mad 3 miles (Saxmundham to
    Leiston) with nice bends, good visibilty, and people do tend to drive along it very fast. Lose it on
    one of the bends and the tree is right in line to prevent you going into the field. Cars in ditches
    are a regular sight, fortunately cars impaled in the tree, rarer.

    Bill

  6. >Lose it on one of the bends and the tree is right in line to prevent you going into the field.

    How dare it grow there!

    Cheers, helen s :)

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 24-Apr-2003, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    > A plea has been made to remove a tree from a Suffolk roadside after it was involved in a second
    > fatal accident.
    >
    > James Barnes, 20, of Kelsale, was killed when his car left the B1119 road at Knoddishall and
    > struck the tree.

    Obviously we shouldn't forget the pain this young mans family is feeling and I'm not one to talk. As
    a 17 year old who had just passed my test I "lost it" going round a bend far too fast and (purely by
    luck) managed to land, facing backwards, in a ditch between two trees. Given that the gap between
    the trees was only a few inches wider than my car and that I wasn't wearing a seatbelt I'd have to
    say that I was extremely lucky to walk away without a scratch.

    But all that aside, you have to marvel at the use of language here. The tree was "involved" in an
    accident when a car "left the road" sounds so much better than a driver loosing control and
    hitting a tree.

    Andy

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Obviously we shouldn't forget the pain this young mans family is feeling
    and
    > I'm not one to talk. As a 17 year old who had just passed my test I "lost it" going round a bend
    > far too fast and (purely by luck) managed to land, facing backwards, in a ditch between two trees.
    > Given that the gap between the trees was only a few inches wider than my car and that I wasn't
    wearing
    > a seatbelt I'd have to say that I was extremely lucky to walk away without
    > scratch.

    Agreed. My own 'learning experience' invovled 360ing my Mum's car on a busy suburban roundabout in a
    shopping area with cars parked round part of the roundabout, pedestrians milling etc. during
    virtually my first solo drive. Somehow (don't ask me how, I was along for the ride) I missed
    everyone and everything, ended up shaken, chasened and a little wiser pointing in about the right
    direction with several cars stopped around me looking concerned and somewhat relieved. The
    pedestrians had dived for cover!!

    Years later I found that Mum had been told of the 'incident' fairly soon after but had decided I had
    had enough of a lesson and that a full scall bollocking would nopt add to it.

    > But all that aside, you have to marvel at the use of language here. The
    tree
    > was "involved" in an accident when a car "left the road" sounds so much better than a driver
    > loosing control and hitting a tree.

    Its the Pr*t Sm*th principle. The tree was bored so lost concentration. If it had been
    travelling a sillyspeed it would obviously have been aware of its surroundings and could have
    taken avoiding action :)

  9. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter scribbled:

    > Bl**dy trees now. It's bad enough bl**dy cyclists on the roads, not paying their road tax and all
    > of that - bl**dy Lycra louts. Now the trees are getting in the way of cars.
    >
    > See

    <http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=52587&intarticlen um
    > ber=9&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30>
    >
    > The link is probably temporary, so the full text is below.
    >
    > "PLEA TO REMOVE DEATH CRASH TREE A plea has been made to remove a tree from a Suffolk roadside
    > after it was involved in a second fatal accident.

    How the hell was a tree 'involved' in the 'accident' ?

    Seems to me that some pillock simply drove too fast and lost it. The tree happened to be in the
    way. What would they have done if the tree had been another car, full of passengers, coming the
    other way ?

    I must admit to failing to see the logic in removing something which isn't even on the road. If a
    driver loses it on a bend, or anywhere else for that matter, tough. They ought to have driven with
    due regard .. To remove the tree may even say to other, more misguided, drivers that the removal of
    the tree somehow condones their 'need for speed' ..

    --

    Completed 1600 Seti work units in 12244 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  10. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Bl**dy trees now. It's bad enough bl**dy cyclists on the roads, not paying their road tax and all
    > of that - bl**dy Lycra louts. Now the trees are getting in the way of cars.
    >
    > See <http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=52587&intarticlenum
    > ber=9&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30>
    >
    > The link is probably temporary, so the full text is below.
    >
    > "PLEA TO REMOVE DEATH CRASH TREE A plea has been made to remove a tree from a Suffolk roadside
    > after it was involved in a second fatal accident.["]

    Actively?

    > Whilst I feel for the families and friends of those who have lost their lives, one has to wonder
    > about the implication of some sort of devil tree taking over the minds of poor motorists, causing
    > them to collide with the tree ... Perhaps the trees generate electromagnetic fields strong enough
    > to attract the cars off the roads and into the tree???

    Indeed. There was a story a few months ago from France. A particular local council was calling for
    the felling of whole avenues of trees because motorists were being killed when they hit them.

    Colin

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
    > of [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    > > Bl**dy trees now. It's bad enough bl**dy cyclists on the roads, not paying their road tax and
    > > all of that - bl**dy Lycra louts. Now the trees are getting in the way of cars.
    >
    > You have to see things from the tree's point of view - which goes back to a time when humans
    > didn't rush about so fast. I recommend Ursula LeGuin's short story on the subject, published in
    > The Winds Twelve Quarters.

    Crikey, second LeGuin recommendation in a few minutes reading netnews.

    Colin

  12. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    >"PLEA TO REMOVE DEATH CRASH TREE A plea has been made to remove a tree from a Suffolk roadside
    >after it was involved in a second fatal accident.
    >
    >James Barnes, 20, of Kelsale, was killed when his car left the B1119 road at Knoddishall and struck
    >the tree.
    >
    >In 2001, Marcia Whenman of Leiston died after hitting the same tree. Her family raised concerns
    >after her crash and are reiterating their worries again.

    Let's try to re-write this report from the point of view of the hapless shrub.

    MORONIC DRIVER INJURES INNOCENT TREE

    A helpless tree was needlessly struck as it stood alone on a street corner. The 57 year old elm had
    severe lacerations to its bark and lost nearly a pint of sap.

    Since its germination in 1946 the tree has been immobile and subject to all manner of abuses,
    including sparrows nesting in its branches and woodpeckers attacking it for grubs. Twice it has
    suffered the indignity of squirrels procreating in its lower boughs.

    This is not the first such attack this tree has suffered. Just two years earlier it was subjected to
    another unprovoked attack.

    The council of elder elms have long called for tree protection cameras to be installed on this
    stretch of road to prevent such attacks. But other campaigners, such as Paul Smith, believe drivers
    have a constitutional right to attack innocent trees.

    Both attackers are now dead and the hapless tree is facing execution accused of their murder.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  13. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Bl**dy trees now. It's bad enough bl**dy cyclists on the roads, not paying their road tax and all
    > of that - bl**dy Lycra louts. Now the trees are getting in the way of cars.

    I imagine the tree was uninsured, didn't pay road tax, hadn't passed any sort of test, and wasn't
    even in the cycle lane.

    --
    Dave...

  14. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Indeed. There was a story a few months ago from France. A particular local council was calling for
    > the felling of whole avenues of trees because motorists were being killed when they hit them.

    It's a widespread campagin in France.

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  15. John B

    John B Guest

    Dave Kahn wrote:

    > [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > Bl**dy trees now. It's bad enough bl**dy cyclists on the roads, not paying their road tax and
    > > all of that - bl**dy Lycra louts. Now the trees are getting in the way of cars.
    >
    > I imagine the tree was uninsured, didn't pay road tax, hadn't passed any sort of test, and wasn't
    > even in the cycle lane.

    If it was wearing a h*lm*t it was completely safe.

    John B

  16. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

  17. Mike Gayler

    Mike Gayler Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) writed in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Bl**dy trees now. It's bad enough bl**dy cyclists on the roads, not paying their road tax and all
    > of that - bl**dy Lycra louts. Now the trees are getting in the way of cars.
    >
    > See <http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=52587&intarticle num
    > ber=9&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30>
    >
    > The link is probably temporary, so the full text is below.
    >
    > "PLEA TO REMOVE DEATH CRASH TREE A plea has been made to remove a tree from a Suffolk roadside
    > after it was involved in a second fatal accident.
    There was a radio 4 programme some months ago about a campaign building momentum in France to have
    the traditional avenues of trees felled, because the trees are killing drivers. The fact is that the
    trees are colliding with poor inocent moteurs who have only had a few pernods over a few, and need
    to get home to madamoiselle as speedily as possible.

    Bloody vegetation, gets everywhere!

  18. >Bloody vegetation, gets everywhere!

    Some had the nerve to get on to the plate I was going to eat my evening meal from!!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  19. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
    of [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    > "PLEA TO REMOVE DEATH CRASH TREE A plea has been made to remove a tree from a Suffolk roadside
    > after it was involved in a second fatal accident.

    Reminds me of a story I heard a couple of years back. A council (somewhere in Kent IIRC) was moving
    all its "street furniture" (streetlights, post boxes, etc) away from the roadward side of the
    pavements, to make the pavements safer for the drivers who mount them at speed from time to time.

    Just glad I don't live there ... things like streetlights have given me some kind of psychological
    reassurance (protection from the cars) since I was a toddler. And if I wasn't fully able-bodied, or
    was in charge of small sprogs, I'd be all the more glad of them in the right place.