lethargy after meals

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Skinny, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Skinny

    Skinny Guest

    I'm low-carbing for energy and blood sugar (not weight).

    http://www.mts.net/~baumel/hypoglycemia.html
    Researchers at MIT and other centers have shown that people¡Xespecially
    women¡Xtend to become lethargic and drowsy thirty minutes to two or three
    hours after eating a very sweet or starchy, low-protein meal (Spring et aL).
    Ironically, these reactions have occurred while blood sugar is still rising.
    So the culprit must be something other than reactive hypoglycemia. The
    researchers believe it's soporifically high brain levels of serotonin,
    because insulin, which rises sharply after a carbohydrate meal, indirectly
    promotes the passage of serotonin's precursor, tryptophan, into the brain.

    Yesterday I felt lazy from breakfast (no carb) throughout the day, with BG's
    as high as 120; finally after a big slice of baked ham in the evening,
    pepped up, with BGs around 77.

    Has anyone else read radiantrecovery.com or POTATOES NOT PROZAC? I think
    this serotonin tranquilizer thing is happening to me after breakfast and
    lunch, even low or no carb. The only thing that seems to help is caffeine,
    sometimes with sugar, sometimes without.

    I came across this in a Usenet search, wonder if it's the same Dr. Atkins:

    "Dr. Robert Atkins in New York prescribes 5-hydroxy Tryptophan for
    depression and sleep problems. For sleep he recommends taking it with
    melatonin."

    Skinny
    --
    A1c 5.5, F, 125 lbs, Phase I loss since 1970s,
    post-prandial lethargy

    Tags:

  2. Bev-Ann

    Bev-Ann Guest

    I experience the same thing after lunch. I had hoped that going LC would
    help, but it hasn't. Sometimes it's so bad I feel like I'm going to pass
    out.

    on 11 Mar 2005 18:03:35 GMT, Ignoramus2923
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My experience has been that I become sleepy after any heavy lunch, high
    >carb or not. Just to give you a datapoint.

    -----
    Bev

  3. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On 11 Mar 2005 19:14:02 GMT, Ignoramus2923
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:08:17 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I experience the same thing after lunch. I had hoped that going LC
    >> would
    >> help, but it hasn't. Sometimes it's so bad I feel like I'm going to
    >> pass
    >> out.

    > Exactly the case for me.

    I don't feel this way. I also don't have the 3 pm sleepies on low carb,
    but had them terribly bad on high carb.

    --
    Bob in CT

  4. Wysong*~

    Wysong*~ Guest

    "Skinny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I'm low-carbing for energy and blood sugar (not weight).
    >
    > http://www.mts.net/~baumel/hypoglycemia.html
    > Researchers at MIT and other centers have shown that people¡Xespecially
    > women¡Xtend to become lethargic and drowsy thirty minutes to two or three
    > hours after eating a very sweet or starchy,

    ==============================
    I become lethargic after dinner every evening no matter what I eat.
    --

    Wysong
    Age 60. Height 5'6"

  5. Crafting Mom

    Crafting Mom Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:14:02 +0000, Ignoramus2923 wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:08:17 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I experience the same thing after lunch. I had hoped that going LC would
    >> help, but it hasn't. Sometimes it's so bad I feel like I'm going to pass
    >> out.

    > Exactly the case for me.

    Comes and goes for me, but I will take that any day over the heartburn I
    used to get. I used to nearly need to purchase stock in antacid
    companies, and now I never need to go there.

  6. Skinny

    Skinny Guest

    On 11 Mar 2005 18:03:35 GMT, Ignoramus2923 wrote:

    > My experience has been that I become sleepy after any heavy lunch, high
    > carb or not. Just to give you a datapoint.

    What do you mean by 'heavy'? Sometimes for me anything solid or fibrous
    seems to make it worse, even just lean bacon or greens.

    Skinny

  7. Bev-Ann

    Bev-Ann Guest

    I rarely eat a "heavy" lunch. It happens to me even with something light
    like a salad topped with a grilled chicken breast.
    The only thing that keeps me from falling face-first onto my desk at work
    is to get up and go for a walk. But that's just not possible when I have
    meetings scheduled right after lunch.

    on 11 Mar 2005 20:12:17 GMT, Ignoramus2923
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> What do you mean by 'heavy'? Sometimes for me anything solid or fibrous
    >> seems to make it worse, even just lean bacon or greens.

    >By heavy, I mean a lot of food that has many calories.

    -----
    Bev

  8. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 11 Mar 2005 19:14:02 GMT, Ignoramus2923
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:08:17 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> I experience the same thing after lunch. I had hoped that going LC
    >>> would
    >>> help, but it hasn't. Sometimes it's so bad I feel like I'm going to
    >>> pass
    >>> out.

    >> Exactly the case for me.

    > I don't feel this way. I also don't have the 3 pm sleepies on low
    > carb, but had them terribly bad on high carb.

    I think it is quite natural to get sleep after a HEAVY meal. Digestion take
    a lot of energy. The solution is to not eat HEAVY meals.

  9. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Ignoramus2923 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:56:57 GMT, Skinny <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On 11 Mar 2005 18:03:35 GMT, Ignoramus2923 wrote:
    >>
    >>> My experience has been that I become sleepy after any heavy lunch,
    >>> high carb or not. Just to give you a datapoint.

    >> What do you mean by 'heavy'? Sometimes for me anything solid or
    >> fibrous seems to make it worse, even just lean bacon or greens.

    > By heavy, I mean a lot of food that has many calories.

    A full, protruding belly.

  10. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I rarely eat a "heavy" lunch. It happens to me even with something
    > light like a salad topped with a grilled chicken breast.
    > The only thing that keeps me from falling face-first onto my desk at
    > work is to get up and go for a walk. But that's just not possible
    > when I have meetings scheduled right after lunch.

    Try spilting your lunch into two portions - eat one part earlier and the
    other later.

    > on 11 Mar 2005 20:12:17 GMT, Ignoramus2923
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> What do you mean by 'heavy'? Sometimes for me anything solid or
    >>> fibrous seems to make it worse, even just lean bacon or greens.

    >>By heavy, I mean a lot of food that has many calories.

    > -----
    > Bev

  11. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On 11 Mar 2005 20:48:25 GMT, Ignoramus2923
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:38:55 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >> Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> I don't feel this way. I also don't have the 3 pm sleepies on low
    >>> carb, but had them terribly bad on high carb.

    >> I think it is quite natural to get sleep after a HEAVY meal. Digestion
    >> take
    >> a lot of energy. The solution is to not eat HEAVY meals.
    >>

    > I tend to agree with you.

    Me too. I eat light meals interspersed with snacks (typically raw
    vegetables, although sometimes if I'm really hungry I'll hit nuts or
    calamata olives). I've tried to continually eat less, and eating part of
    a meal then waiting for a while before deciding to finish the meal can
    help.

    --
    Bob in CT

  12. Skinny

    Skinny Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:30:49 GMT, Bev-Ann wrote:

    > I rarely eat a "heavy" lunch. It happens to me even with something light
    > like a salad topped with a grilled chicken breast.

    Even that would be heavier than what I usually eat. It often happens to me
    with just a cup of unsweetened tea!

    > The only thing that keeps me from falling face-first onto my desk at work
    > is to get up and go for a walk. But that's just not possible when I have
    > meetings scheduled right after lunch.

    A walk doesn't really help me. I just stagger around trying to stay upright
    and keep my eyes open. Come home with sore back and shoulders from the
    strain.

    What does help me is to lie down and have a short nap -- soemtimes very
    short. But half an hour after a nap I'm down again....

    Skinny

  13. Ada Ma

    Ada Ma Guest

    Skinny wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:30:49 GMT, Bev-Ann wrote:
    >

    >>I rarely eat a "heavy" lunch. It happens to me even with something light
    >>like a salad topped with a grilled chicken breast.

    > Even that would be heavier than what I usually eat. It often happens to me
    > with just a cup of unsweetened tea!
    >

    >>The only thing that keeps me from falling face-first onto my desk at work
    >>is to get up and go for a walk. But that's just not possible when I have
    >>meetings scheduled right after lunch.

    > A walk doesn't really help me. I just stagger around trying to stay upright
    > and keep my eyes open. Come home with sore back and shoulders from the
    > strain.
    >
    > What does help me is to lie down and have a short nap -- soemtimes very
    > short. But half an hour after a nap I'm down again....

    heavy meals also get me sleepy. i'm guessing that your tiredness is may be you
    are not having enough rest during the night? Or is it around the TOM? during
    my pre-TOM period - lasting about a week - the tiredness can suddenly hit my
    head like a big club and i'll be in land of nod in no time.

  14. The Operator

    The Operator Guest

    "Ignoramus2923" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:08:17 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I experience the same thing after lunch. I had hoped that going LC would
    >> help, but it hasn't. Sometimes it's so bad I feel like I'm going to pass
    >> out.

    > Exactly the case for me.

    I still get sleepy after lunch - but I notice the degree of sleepiness
    weighs heavily on the amount of carbs - more carbs - more sleepy. I do have
    hypoglycemia problems - don't know if that makes a difference. I notice
    that with a low carb diet - the hypoglycemia and my ADHD are lessened
    immensely when I lower the carbs. I am trying to stay away from my ADHD
    meds unless I really have to - so far I haven't taken them in about 6
    months. There are days that I am tempted to take a couple pills - when I
    just feel overly hyperactive and sitting still is NOT an option. If you
    don't have ADHD - it would be hard to understand this feeling.
    Diane

    >> on 11 Mar 2005 18:03:35 GMT, Ignoramus2923
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My experience has been that I become sleepy after any heavy lunch, high
    >>>carb or not. Just to give you a datapoint.

    >> Bev

    > --
    > 223/173.3/180

  15. Skinny

    Skinny Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:59:44 +0000, Ada Ma wrote:

    > Skinny wrote:
    > > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:30:49 GMT, Bev-Ann wrote:
    > >

    > >>I rarely eat a "heavy" lunch. It happens to me even with something

    light
    > >>like a salad topped with a grilled chicken breast.

    > > Even that would be heavier than what I usually eat. It often happens to

    me
    > > with just a cup of unsweetened tea!
    > >

    > >>The only thing that keeps me from falling face-first onto my desk at

    work
    > >>is to get up and go for a walk. But that's just not possible when I

    have
    > >>meetings scheduled right after lunch.

    > > A walk doesn't really help me. I just stagger around trying to stay

    upright
    > > and keep my eyes open. Come home with sore back and shoulders from the
    > > strain.
    > >
    > > What does help me is to lie down and have a short nap -- soemtimes very
    > > short. But half an hour after a nap I'm down again....
    > >

    > heavy meals also get me sleepy. i'm guessing that your tiredness is may

    be you are not having enough rest during the night?

    It isn't tiredness, or even sleepiness. More spaced out, blissful, stupid,
    uncoordinated ... loss of balance, and difficulty staying upright.

    Skinny

  16. Skinny

    Skinny Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:27:40 GMT, The Operator wrote:

    > "Ignoramus2923" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:08:17 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> I experience the same thing after lunch. I had hoped that going LC

    would
    > >> help, but it hasn't. Sometimes it's so bad I feel like I'm going to

    pass
    > >> out.

    > > Exactly the case for me.

    Mine isn't that bad, and LC has helped, overall.

    > I still get sleepy after lunch - but I notice the degree of sleepiness
    > weighs heavily on the amount of carbs - more carbs - more sleepy. I do

    have
    > hypoglycemia problems - don't know if that makes a difference.

    Mine seems to be worse when I have carbs, or caffeine. Except for the times
    when carbs and caffeine give me MORE energy. Duh.

    > I notice
    > that with a low carb diet - the hypoglycemia and my ADHD are lessened
    > immensely when I lower the carbs. I am trying to stay away from my ADHD
    > meds unless I really have to - so far I haven't taken them in about 6
    > months. There are days that I am tempted to take a couple pills - when I
    > just feel overly hyperactive and sitting still is NOT an option. If you
    > don't have ADHD - it would be hard to understand this feeling.

    I've never been diagnosed with anything like that, but I do have a lot of
    extremely energetic, can't stay still, kind of times too. Good energy in the
    morning before breakfast, lazy/stupid all afternoon, then often energetic in
    the evenings (after a balanced or carby supper). It seems I handle carbs
    different at different times of day (diurnal variation).

    It doesn't follow the BG curves, tho. Yesterday I was lazy at BG 120, then
    later very energetic and quick-thinking at 77 !

    Skinny

  17. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Skinny <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:59:44 +0000, Ada Ma wrote:
    >
    >> Skinny wrote:

    > light
    >> >

    >> > Even that would be heavier than what I usually eat. It often
    >> > happens to

    > me
    >> > with just a cup of unsweetened tea!

    > work

    > have
    >> >

    >> > A walk doesn't really help me. I just stagger around trying to stay

    > upright
    >> > and keep my eyes open. Come home with sore back and shoulders from
    >> > the strain.
    >> >
    >> > What does help me is to lie down and have a short nap -- soemtimes
    >> > very short. But half an hour after a nap I'm down again....
    >> >

    >> heavy meals also get me sleepy. i'm guessing that your tiredness is
    >> may

    > be you are not having enough rest during the night?
    >

    > It isn't tiredness, or even sleepiness. More spaced out, blissful,
    > stupid, uncoordinated ... loss of balance, and difficulty staying
    > upright.

    Go to the doctor.

    > Skinny

  18. marengo

    marengo Guest

    "Skinny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:2kdcipyzlvf4$.ky7[email protected]
    | On 11 Mar 2005 18:03:35 GMT, Ignoramus2923 wrote:
    |
    | > My experience has been that I become sleepy after any heavy lunch, high
    | > carb or not. Just to give you a datapoint.
    |

    | What do you mean by 'heavy'? Sometimes for me anything solid or fibrous
    | seems to make it worse, even just lean bacon or greens.
    |

    | Skinny

    That's not normal (getting sleepy after eating greens or bacon); I'd see a
    doctor if I were you.

    Peter

  19. marengo

    marengo Guest

    "Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | I rarely eat a "heavy" lunch. It happens to me even with something light
    | like a salad topped with a grilled chicken breast.
    | The only thing that keeps me from falling face-first onto my desk at work
    | is to get up and go for a walk. But that's just not possible when I have
    | meetings scheduled right after lunch.

    | Bev

    Are you diabetic, or have you been tested for diabetes? The only symptom
    that I had prior to being diagnosed as having T2 diabetes was similar to
    what you are describing; I would get so sleepy after meals that I couldn't
    drive my car. I'd even fall asleep in inappropriate places and situations,
    especially after a large meal.

    Peter

  20. Bev-Ann

    Bev-Ann Guest