lethargy after meals

"Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No, I'm not diabetic.

Thyroid problems? I'm much less sleepy now I'm on a reasonable dose of
thyroxine. Although I do sometimes feel zonked even now,after any sort of
meal.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
1g Metformin, 87.5ug Thyroxine

I'm borderline hyperthyroid, not enough to warrant medication according to
my doctor.

on Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:04:13 -0000, "Nicky" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Thyroid problems? I'm much less sleepy now I'm on a reasonable dose of
>thyroxine. Although I do sometimes feel zonked even now,after any sort of
>meal.

-----
Bev

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:04:13 -0000, Nicky wrote:

> "Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > No, I'm not diabetic.

> Thyroid problems? I'm much less sleepy now I'm on a reasonable dose of
> thyroxine. Although I do sometimes feel zonked even now,after any sort of
> meal.

Are thyroid symptoms often triggered by some meals, when a person feels fine
and energetic and awake at other times and after other meals?

My timing is that of 'reactive hypoglycemia', but the BG readings didn't
match up very well.

Skinny
--
A1c 5.5, F, 125 lbs, Phase I loss since 1970s,
post-prandial lethargy

"Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm borderline hyperthyroid, not enough to warrant medication according to
> my doctor.

Yeah. I was, for 8 years. I cannot believe how much better I feel now that
it's actually being treated. My TSH was 7 when I finally got a doctor who
would treat it; we're still tweaking up the dose, but I'm going to stabilise
with a TSH around 2. And I have a brain back; I don't fall asleep upright
any more; I'm losing weight; and I generally feel all-round human again. I
don't believe in borderline any more.

One wierd thing was that I was getting tested every 6 months for those 8
years, and it showed a strong seasonal pattern - I felt OKish in the winter,
and lousy in summer. If you can spot a pattern in yours, maybe you could
time your next blood test right : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
1g Metformin, 87.5ug Thyroxine
T2 DX 05/2004

"Skinny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:04:13 -0000, Nicky wrote:
>
>> "Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > No, I'm not diabetic.

>> Thyroid problems? I'm much less sleepy now I'm on a reasonable dose of
>> thyroxine. Although I do sometimes feel zonked even now,after any sort of
>> meal.

> Are thyroid symptoms often triggered by some meals, when a person feels
> fine
> and energetic and awake at other times and after other meals?

I personally haven't spotted a pattern. But I'm sure that what you eat has
an affect on thyroxine absorption - check out the American and UK thyroid
sites. One tells you to avoid soy but ignores dairy, the other tells you to
avoid dairy and ignores soy... You're generally told to take thyroxine when
you wake up, but there was a study done on people in an old folks' home, and
whether the timing mattered; it didn't seem to. All very confusing, and
possibly YMMV - with no nice feedback mechanism like a bg reading.

The other thing is that most doctors medicate only on the TSH value. My lab
normal is .5-5.0, but I felt lousy around the 5 mark, and so, so much better
around the 2 one; that seems to be common, reading the newsgroups. So like
an A1c reading, is the high mark skewed by lots of untreated hypothyroidism?
Also, it's rare to test for free T3, but some people do much better on a
combined T3/T4 pill (thyroxine is T4).

It's very common for thyroid problems and diabetes to go hand-in-hand - you
may concievably be in the early stages of both. : (

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
1g Metformin, 87.5ug Thyroxine
T2 DX 05/2004

Um, are you sure you were hyperthyroid? What you're describing sounds like
hypo.
My TSH is 0.40 mU/L. I don't know how that correlates to American
measurements, but anything below that in Canada is when they start you on
meds to try and raise it.

on Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:28:16 -0000, "Nicky" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I'm borderline hyperthyroid, not enough to warrant medication according to
>> my doctor.

>Yeah. I was, for 8 years. I cannot believe how much better I feel now that
>it's actually being treated. My TSH was 7 when I finally got a doctor who
>would treat it; we're still tweaking up the dose, but I'm going to stabilise
>with a TSH around 2. And I have a brain back; I don't fall asleep upright
>any more; I'm losing weight; and I generally feel all-round human again. I
>don't believe in borderline any more.

-----
Bev

you just might need to go see your physician and get some blood work
done.

--
read and post,
rosie

"Skinny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
: On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:30:49 GMT, Bev-Ann wrote:
:
: > I rarely eat a "heavy" lunch. It happens to me even with
something light
: > like a salad topped with a grilled chicken breast.
:
: Even that would be heavier than what I usually eat. It often
happens to me
: with just a cup of unsweetened tea!
:
:
: > The only thing that keeps me from falling face-first onto my
desk at work
: > is to get up and go for a walk. But that's just not possible
when I have
: > meetings scheduled right after lunch.
:
: A walk doesn't really help me. I just stagger around trying to
stay upright
: and keep my eyes open. Come home with sore back and shoulders from
the
: strain.
:
: What does help me is to lie down and have a short nap -- soemtimes
very
: short. But half an hour after a nap I'm down again....
:
:
:
: Skinny

:
: My timing is that of 'reactive hypoglycemia', but the BG readings
didn't
: match up very well.
:
:
: Skinny

when is the last time you were tested?

What kind of blood work? I had a full blood screening done before
Christmas and everything was normal.

on Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:21:52 GMT, "rosie read n' post"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>you just might need to go see your physician and get some blood work
>done.

-----
Bev

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:38:17 -0000, Nicky wrote:

> "Skinny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:04:13 -0000, Nicky wrote:
> >
> >> "Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Thyroid problems? I'm much less sleepy now I'm on a reasonable dose of
> >> thyroxine. Although I do sometimes feel zonked even now,after any sort

of
> >> meal.

> > Are thyroid symptoms often triggered by some meals, when a person feels
> > fine
> > and energetic and awake at other times and after other meals?

> I personally haven't spotted a pattern. But I'm sure that what you eat has
> an affect on thyroxine absorption - check out the American and UK thyroid
> sites. One tells you to avoid soy but ignores dairy, the other tells you

> avoid dairy and ignores soy... You're generally told to take thyroxine

when
> you wake up, but there was a study done on people in an old folks' home,

and
> whether the timing mattered; it didn't seem to. All very confusing, and
> possibly YMMV - with no nice feedback mechanism like a bg reading.
>
> The other thing is that most doctors medicate only on the TSH value. My

lab
> normal is .5-5.0, but I felt lousy around the 5 mark, and so, so much

better
> around the 2 one; that seems to be common, reading the newsgroups. So like
> an A1c reading, is the high mark skewed by lots of untreated

hypothyroidism?
> Also, it's rare to test for free T3, but some people do much better on a
> combined T3/T4 pill (thyroxine is T4).
>
> It's very common for thyroid problems and diabetes to go hand-in-hand -

you
> may concievably be in the early stages of both. : (
>
> Nicky.

I looked up THS + diabetes. At first glance a thyroid excess or deficiency
seems unlikely, because I flipflop several times a day between the symptoms
listed for hyperthryoid and hypothryoid.

http://www.diabetes.org.nz/about/thyroid.html
The pituitary gland produces thyroid stimulating hormone (or TSH). This
hormone promotes thyroid hormone production and releases the hormones into
the blood stream.
When the thyroid hormone level is low, the pituitary gland senses this and
releases TSH, which, in turn, tells the thyroid gland to make and release
thyroid hormone into the bloodstream.
This process is often compared to the working of a furnace: a thermostat
senses cold air, tells the furnace to turn on and produce heat, and when the
air is warm enough, the thermostat tells the furnace to shut off.

I suppose it might fit my condition if the pituatary, like the pancreas, can
sputter around, some hours producing too much THS and some hours too little.

Skinny
--
A1c 5.5, F, 125 lbs, Phase I loss since 1970s,
post-prandial lethargy
Still pre-diabetic after all these years,
depending on which definition.

"Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Um, are you sure you were hyperthyroid? What you're describing sounds
> like
> hypo.

You're right, sorry! Doh!

Nicky.