Let's Ban Smoking!

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Carrera, Aug 31, 2005.

1. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

It isn't illegal at the moment but I think the law is going to change on that later either this year or next year. I'm a smoker myself (15-20 a day), but I agree with you. The guy should consider your health aswell as his own. You should speak with your employer about banning smoking and maybe setting up a smoke-room. They may be more willing than you think. Their insurance costs will drop quite a bit for starters. I make an effort not to smoke around people who I know don't smoke because I was a non-smoker at one time and remember how the smoke was choking me and therefore know how my smoking is affecting others. I have made several attempts to quit in the past and will be doing so again soon. Unfortunately, it is a ridiculously addictive habit and this makes things somewhat difficult when unemployed and the whole world seems to be against you.

2. Induray

Induray New Member

Last year I visited Madrid and although I loved the place and the people, I was disgusted with the prevalence of smoking. The whole city smelled like one big ashtray! I used to take my son to the playgrounds in "El Retiro" park, and I could not escape the nasty cigarette smell out in an open space! Everybody smokes. I even think I so a stroller with a cigarette in his mouth!:)

Forget about eating inside restaurants. In order to avoid the smoking we looked for places with outdoor dining. Sevilla was pretty much the same. No respite.

3. macca1234

macca1234 New Member

Hears a radical Idea but hey ive got a radical mind:D

How about we put smokers in rehab centers and keep them there for a month or two without a cigarette. They can undergoe hypnosis or even enter a boot camp...all designed to get them off this disgusting habit.

admitedly my idea sounds outrageous and expensive but surely we would be saving the community in the long run.

What do you reckon?

4. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I lived in Spain and you're right; smoking in Spain is even worse than here. The Spanish openly smoke and drink wine in bars and you always have a corner T.V. with football on. This was how it in Navarra.

5. Carrera

Carrera New Member

The best way to stop would be to decrease your intake in order to quit that way (gradually). Nicotine is an addictive substance and the companies make suckers out of people who develop a habit. Their plan is to eventually get you hooked so you buy even more and increase your intake. The more you smoke, the more you need, the worse it gets.
    There was a woman I worked with who smoked but she would go outside and I never had a problem with her. She'd simply go to the door and smoke on the balcony.
    But this guy doesn't give a hoot about anyone else. All he cares about is his own addiction and takes offence if anyone suggests he should smoke elsewhere. I really don't know how he has the nerve to force his habit on others. :mad: Of course, he takes comfort in the fact I myself am a minority and totally outnumbered.
    Last year he suffered another heart scare while driving so they put him on easy duty. Now he has the internal cyst and what do you reckon he does about it? He smokes up to 70 cigarettes a day and actually increases his intake.
    What does that tell us about smoking? Well, it tells me the addiction is so strong that those who are hooked would rather die than give up. That makes it a dangerous narcotic.

6. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I know how you feel. But the companies who pedal these drugs are the ones we need to really hit. I've observed smokers a lot over the years and I notice it is a genuine addiction. After a few minutes without a fix they begin to get nervous and congregate in groups to light up and swap packets. People such as myself become outcasts.
    The thing is, I'm far from being an angel. I drink more than I should, I enjoy the odd Big Mac and I date fast women. But no way will I smoke.

7. refinnej

refinnej New Member

i totally agree. smoking shouldnt be allowed in the workplace anywhere. how annoying for the non-smokers; maybe they should just be allowed to smoke outside or only on break. like getta hold of yourselves already! if you insist on killing yourself, dont take others along!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

8. Peka

Peka New Member

From your posts I assume you've never been a smoker? No offence intended, but if that's so you're the last person to be giving advice on how to quit, and you certainly have no understanding of the addiction. I do, I was a smoker for many years myself. I've been told I'm an expert in not quitting, since I tried so many times :rolleyes:

On numerous occasions I wished that smoking would be banned completely, it would make quitting so much easier if you didn't see smokes at every corner shop, petrol station, supermarket etc. Nicotine is a VERY addictive drug, and I know why people have so much trouble kicking the habit.

I always thought it was common courtesy to make an effort not to smoke around non smokers too.

9. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

Cutting down bit by bit is a nice idea, but unfortunately doesn't work. At the end of the day the need for nicoteen is still there. Smoking has been said to be more addictive than heroin and heroin addict cannot be gradually weened off the stuff. My Mum was a smoker until she was in her late 20's. A couple years ago for reasons unknown to myself and other relatives she started again. She's now 49. At the very least, it takes around three to four weeks for the initial cravings to disappear and a further five to six months for the nicoteen to completely leave the body. But there will always be a slight wanting for another smoke for the rest of a former smokers life. It never goes away. I only know this because of older former smokers stories. My Grandad still craved at the age of 88 before passing away, having quit some fifty years earlier. To say quitting is very difficult, is one hell of an understatement.

10. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Not necessarily so, Bill. I stopped 12 years ago and have absloutely no latent desires to have a smoke. I can sit in a pub with my mates rolling up durries and have no background twinges.
    I didn't go down the bit-by-bit or patches path. I went down the cold turkey one. It's not easy, but it isn't impossible, either.
    Give it up. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for someone else that you care about.

11. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

Admittedly it isn't the same for everyone, but I think it applies to a fair majority of former smokers. My own story? I did manage to quit once and lasted a year without puffing away. All that changed when a good friend and I were taken down by some asshole driving without due care and attention. My friend who had a wife and two young children lost his life due to that accident and hard times were aplenty afterwards. Friends and relatives said my return to smoking was probably because of the shock of the whole fiasco. I can't say smoking made me feel any better about the crash. I did the same as you though. I quit cold turkey. I'd tried the patches and gum before many times and they just drag the process out. When I'm working again and life isn't quite so stressful, I'll be making yet another attempt. I'd like to be around to watch my daughter grow up. I wouldn't be much of a Dad if I was six foot under because of a heart attack, a huge threat among diabetics which is greatly increased when said diabetic is smoking.

12. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Good on ya, Bill.

13. Peka

Peka New Member

One thing that I found really helped was to do a lot of exercise when you stop smoking. The last thing I feel like doing after eg. a 25km ride, is having a smoke.

14. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

That would have been a good idea except that even while I'm on the bike I sometimes smoke!!!:eek:

15. refinnej

refinnej New Member

actually, i am a smoker myself! however i understand that it can be very annoying to those who dont smoke! realistically, i admit it must be annoying. its a disgusting habbit and im trying to stop, but it seems impossible.. almost everyone i know smokes! some friends i have dont. but they're out-numbered!:D

16. Peka

Peka New Member

You obviously don't ride hard enough ;)

17. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

You're more right than you know! My racing days have long since passed. Although, I plan to get back into training when I've kicked this nasty habit. I'm currently restoring a vintage (1987-88) Peugeot Optima ready for that day. Looking forward to bringing new life to the beast!!!

18. Carrera

Carrera New Member

The situation is that I'm presently feeling ill (like a cold) and suspect I've half-poisoned myself with air-freshener. That's because this guy is still bombarding the area I work in with smoke. And as I said before, such is the addiction of smoking in the firm I work for, my complaint isn't understood. The boss of the company is a chronic smoker and now has breathing problems. His secretary also smokes. Virtually all the staff smoke.
    Each time that guy arrives, I wind up leaving the room and cease work. When he goes I open up all the windows and doors and pump massive doses of air freshener around.
    His situation is ever more serious. The hospital has definitely found some kind of internal growth they now need to scan. Whether it's cancer or not I don't know. However, it amazes me the guy has ignored my advice to go private and speed up the medical attention as well as my advice to quit smoking. He's still on 100 a day. Seems like his addiction to smoking has become more important to him than his job or his life in general. That seems to put smoking on the same kind of addiction level as heroin.
    Ultimately I blame the companies for creating a market out of peoples' ill-health, the Government for not banning smoking at work and the selfish percentage of smokers who won't smoke outside and insist on others sharing their habit.
    But the poster from Brazil who predicted this guy would inevitably kill himself could be right. I think he's in denial that all of this is catching up with him. Myself, I'm thinking of finding another job for a company that doesn't allow smoking and these now form a majority.

19. rainrider

rainrider New Member

"That seems to put smoking on the same
    kind of addiction level as heroin."

It has been said that it's harder to give up than heroin,if you look at famous ex-junkies some still smoke tobacco but have managed to kick heroin.I think the goverments ,usa/uk,should liscence smoking , if you smoke now you get a card with your photo letting you buy smokes, as soon as every smoker has one don't issue any more, ie cutting drastically the number of new smokers hoodwinked into the smoking curse,of course there will be a black market etc but it surely can't be as bad as letting anyone buy them. :(

20. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

I've just had a look on the tinternet and it would seem you're out of luck. The only thing your employer is required to do, is to provide a smoke-free rest room. And even then, it isn't a legal requirement, it's on the grounds of health and safety. The best you can do is get another job with a non-smoking firm and there are plenty around. Although a smoker myself, I can sympathize with your situation. But it would seem you're in a no-win war with your employer.:(