Let's be careful out there

It was of course Paul "You really are a complete ******"
[email protected] "aren't you" Smith of Scotland, UK who wrote:
> >> You really are a complete ****** aren't you?

Just to be clear.

> >I know it is not as catchy, but "Half mass times the square of speed kills."
>
> There must be more to it in practice.

Ah, do you mean "Mass times the extent to which the cube of the speed of light divided by root of
the difference of the speed of light squared and speed squared exceeds the square of the speed of
light kills"?

I did not know you were advocating speeds at which that mattered. It might get you past a speed
camera without picking up a ticket, though, if that was really what you wanted. And it would do
terrible things to your fuel efficiency (Just this Guy on a recumbent notwithstanding).

> So why are faster roads safer then?

Do you think it might be because their existence already restricts the lives of the best targets?

On 18 Jan 2003 00:35:18 -0000, [email protected] (Geraint Jones) wrote:

>> >I know it is not as catchy, but "Half mass times the square of speed kills."

>>There must be more to it in practice.

>Ah, do you mean "Mass times the extent to which the cube of the speed of light divided by root of
>the difference of the speed of light squared and speed squared exceeds the square of the speed of
>light kills"?

Nope.

>I did not know you were advocating speeds at which that mattered. It might get you past a speed
>camera without picking up a ticket, though, if that was really what you wanted. And it would do
>terrible things to your fuel efficiency (Just this Guy on a recumbent notwithstanding).

>> So why are faster roads safer then?

>Do you think it might be because their existence already restricts the lives of the best targets?

No.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email Let's make
speed cameras as unacceptable as drink driving

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:35:44 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Typical Smith. Reject the scientific approach for a bunch of ifs and maybes.

>> Oh, very good. Why don't you tell us how you would relate the Joksch curve to the ratio of near
>> misses to fatals. You might even like to infer an average impact speed.

>Please either learn to think or go away.

>The Joksch curve has _ABSOLUTELY_NOTHING_ to do with the risk of having an accident. The curve
>merely tells you what the probable outcome is once the accident occurs.

Quite. But since we know the risk of accident severity there's no reason we shouldn't use the curve
to infer average crash speed.

>A possible first approximation might be that the risk of accident it proportional to speed
>for a given road. (For small changes in speed e.g. 1mph the "psychological effects" won't
>have any effect)

Except that it's a robust general rule that faster roads are safer.

>Also, assuming a 30mph road where the mean traffic speed is 31.21mph we have a deltaV between
>collision and imminent collision of 10mph.

Ok, well that's slightly over half the accidents perhaps. What about those accidents on 60 and 70mph
roads where the risk of death actually turns out to be less?

>So Risk of fatality is

>P(s) = C s (s-10)^4

> 1.Assuming 1.5 million collisions, speed 31.21mph 1000 deaths:

>So C is approximately 1e-10

>now reduce the speed to a rigorously enforced 30mph

Even on the 70mph roads? Good plan.

>Correcting for rounding errors:

>at 31.21mph - 947 deaths at 30.00mph - 720 deaths.

>A 24% reduction in deaths.

Of course there's a big effect on mortality from impact speed. That's what Joksch's curve is
intended to show.

> 2.Assuming 15 million near misses

>C is approximately 1e-11

>Now reduce the speed to a rigorously enforced 30mph

Even on 70mph roads? Again?

>Correcting for rounding errors:

>at 31.21mph - 947 deaths at 30.00mph - 720 deaths.
>
>A 24% reduction in deaths.

>Now assume that the risk of accident is quadratic in speed.

>P(s) = C s^2 (s-10)^4

> 3.Assuming 1.5 million collisions, speed 31.21mph 1000 deaths:

>So C is approximately 1/3e11

>now reduce the speed to a rigorously enforced 30mph

>Correcting for rounding errors:

>at 31.21mph - 986 deaths at 30.00mph - 720 deaths.

>A 27% reduction in deaths.

> 4.Assuming 15 million near misses

>C is approximately 1/3e12

>Now reduce the speed to a rigorously enforced 30mph

>Correcting for rounding errors:

>at 31.21mph - 986 deaths at 30.00mph - 720 deaths.

>A 27% reduction in deaths.

>(Exactish figures follow)
> 1. 2. 3. 4.
>31.21 1000 1000 1000 1000
>30.00 760 760 730 730
>
>Reducion 24% 24% 27% 27%

>Finally, what makes me most happy about this is that counting crashes that don't happen doesn't
>affect the number of people dying or injured on the roads. I wouldn't expect it to any more than
>counting the number of bicycles in Mozambique is likely to affect deaths on UK roads.

There are roughly fixed ratios between:

Near misses: damage only accidents: injury accidents: serious injury accidents: fatal accidents.

If we can reduce near misses by a percentage we can reasonable expect to reduce fatals by the same
strategy and a similar percentage.

The fact that near misses outnumber fatals by something like 7500:1 tells us just how effective
drivers are at avoiding fatal accidents. When that ratio if fed into the Joksch equation we get a
strong implication that the average impact speed is 7.6mph.

Since we know that drivers are using speeds in excess of 70mph on UK roads every day, it's
completely clear that numerical speed is not playing much of a role in road fatalities. Be very
aware that most of those near misses could have been a fatality. At only 40mph the Joksch equation
suggests that the likelihood of a fatality is around 10%. Using the 7,500,000 near misses figure
that could have been three quarters of a million annual fatalities.

It isn't speed that kills. We can reduce the speed limits endlessly or enforce them perfectly
without ever hoping to get close to the thresholds where free travelling speed will play a larger
part in the outcome than driver based factors like skill, attention, attitude and training level. In
fact, small variations in these factors will have far more effect on accident rates and outcomes
than big variations in limited or enforced speed.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email Let's make
speed cameras as unacceptable as drink driving

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Except that it's a robust general rule that faster roads are safer.

Are you sure its not that safer roads are faster?

> The fact that near misses outnumber fatals by something like 7500:1 tells us just how effective
> drivers are at avoiding fatal accidents. When that ratio if fed into the Joksch equation we get a
> strong implication that the average impact speed is 7.6mph.

So if they'd been going 7.6 mph slower?

Scotland, UK wrote:
> Nope. No.

That's an improvement on "You really are a complete ******", I suppose. Carry on like this and you
might become civil.

How's the cycling getting along?

On 18 Jan 2003 01:02:00 -0000, [email protected] (Geraint Jones) wrote:

>Paul "You really are a complete ******" [email protected] "aren't you" Smith of Scotland,
>UK wrote:

>> Nope. No.

>That's an improvement on "You really are a complete ******", I suppose. Carry on like this and you
>might become civil.

Carts and horses. I start off extremely civil.

>How's the cycling getting along?

I've been seriously ill actually. Cycling's a probable part of a return to fitness program, but not
for a month or more.
--

Adrian Boliston wrote:
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> The worst time for cyclists is 1700 on Fridays.....
>
> Great! This is *just* what I want to hear as I put on my bicycle clips in preparation for my
> commute home!

I'm OK then... I finish work at 17:05 - and it could be as late as 17:10 by the time I've walked to
the bike shed and unlocked my bike.

--
Andrew Pattle

Paul Smith wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2003 01:02:00 -0000, [email protected] (Geraint Jones) wrote:
>
> >Paul "You really are a complete ******" [email protected] "aren't you" Smith of
> >Scotland, UK wrote:
>
> >> Nope. No.
>
> >That's an improvement on "You really are a complete ******", I suppose. Carry on like this and
> >you might become civil.
>
> Carts and horses. I start off extremely civil.
>
> >How's the cycling getting along?
>
> I've been seriously ill actually.

It's been noticed.

John Buckley

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:03:30 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>So why are faster roads safer then? There must be more to it in practice.

So increasing safety on urban roads is a simple matter of increasing the speed limit to 70mph, at
which point they will be as safe as motorways. Thanks for clearing that up.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote: [Japan]
>For a country with twice our population, there is about the same number of vehicle fatalities but
>five times the number of cyclist fatalities. Not sure what it means.

Is that not a product of the fact that many more people cycle in Japan?

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:03:48 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:03:30 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>>So why are faster roads safer then? There must be more to it in practice.

>So increasing safety on urban roads is a simple matter of increasing the speed limit to 70mph, at
>which point they will be as safe as motorways. Thanks for clearing that up.

Well, TRL 421 contains information supporting the assertion. They claim there's a relationship
between the accident rate and the number of "speeders". So that's easy then. Get rid of the limits
and we'll have no speeders and fewer accidents.

Improving standards of driving, collision safety of vehicles and road engineering measures are the
only things around likely to reduce injuries on our roads. Speed cameras have not and will not.
--

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Paul Smith wrote:
>
> > So why are faster roads safer then? There must be more to it in practice.
>
> Well it's a toss-up whether you are just so stupid you actually can't work it out for ourself, or
> just pretending to be so stupid that you can't work it out for yourself.

I hate to point this out (not really!) but he could easily be both! PS, a footnote to history (or
was it just a letter?)

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote > Well, TRL 421 contains information supporting the
assertion. They
> claim there's a relationship between the accident rate and the number of "speeders". So that's
> easy then. Get rid of the limits and we'll have no speeders and fewer accidents.

B*llsh*t. Why then does the information about 421 on the TRL website say "The overall potential for
accident reduction from measures to restrain speed is large." The word here is 'SPEED'. Stop
misrepresenting other people's findings to meet your own ends.

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:09:28 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, TRL 421 contains information supporting the assertion. They claim there's a relationship
>between the accident rate and the number of "speeders". So that's easy then. Get rid of the limits
>and we'll have no speeders and fewer accidents.

The only reasonable interpretation - anthing else would require the admission that the faster you go
on a given road the more likely you are to crash, and that flies in the face of the fundamental
tenets of the Church of the Mobile Death Greenhouse.

>Improving standards of driving, collision safety of vehicles and road engineering measures are the
>only things around likely to reduce injuries on our roads. Speed cameras have not and will not.

Of course the fact that fatality rates rise drmrtically with impact speed must first be discounted,
but this is also easy as it too conflicts with the fundamental tenets. Yes, I think I'm beginning to
get the hang of this now.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Reduced to basics, faster roads are safer because they offer fewer opportunities for driver error.
> This tells us that driver error is a far more important accident causation factor than mere speed.

It might be, but as human beings apart from you make mistakes, its often better to make them drive
more slowly than they believe they can.

Everyone thinks they are better drivers than they are, and everyone drives in the way they can get
away with without accidents. Remember that 1 sec gap bit? People make just as bad a choice about
their choice of "safe speed".

> James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> Out of curiousity I looked up the Japanese accident statistics.
> http://www.npa.go.jp/toukei/koutuu1/01home/homee.htm A country where
speed
> limits are mostly around 30mph, slower in town, 60mph on motorways, there
is
> very high use of public transport and most cyclists cycle on the pavement. For a country with
> twice our population, there is about the same number of vehicle fatalities but five times the
> number of cyclist fatalities. Not sure what it means.

What it means is that the proponents (today's word) of shared use ped/cycle tracks parallel with
roads are completely wrong, but then, anyone who has looked at the research knew this anyway.

> Tony ;-)
>
> http://www.raven-family.com
>
> "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
> Bernard Shaw.

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:03:48 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
>
> Well, TRL 421 contains information supporting the assertion. They claim there's a relationship
> between the accident rate and the number of "speeders". So that's easy then. Get rid of the limits
> and we'll have no speeders and fewer accidents.

In a long and distinguished career of dissimulation and obfuscation, PS has hit a new peak. Can I be
the first to suggest that the PS cup (should that be mug?) be awarded at the ABD annual dinner
(provided the phone box is free) for services to complete total and utter nonsense.

Cheers Rich

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:49:03 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:09:28 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Well, TRL 421 contains information supporting the assertion. They claim there's a relationship
>>between the accident rate and the number of "speeders". So that's easy then. Get rid of the limits
>>and we'll have no speeders and fewer accidents.

>The only reasonable interpretation - anthing else would require the admission that the faster you
>go on a given road the more likely you are to crash, and that flies in the face of the fundamental
>tenets of the Church of the Mobile Death Greenhouse.

>>Improving standards of driving, collision safety of vehicles and road engineering measures are the
>>only things around likely to reduce injuries on our roads. Speed cameras have not and will not.

>Of course the fact that fatality rates rise drmrtically with impact speed must first be discounted,
>but this is also easy as it too conflicts with the fundamental tenets. Yes, I think I'm beginning
>to get the hang of this now.

But fatality rates don't rise fast enough with speed to overcome the effects of driver skill, even
at it's present woeful level. See:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/12mph.html

We could still kill just as many if all speed limits were reduced to 12mph.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email Let's make
speed cameras as unacceptable as drink driving

> From TRL511 - http://www.trl.co.uk/1024/mainpage.asp?page=140 - The relationship between speed and
> accidents on rural single-carriageway roads
>
> "Accident frequency for all categories of accident increased rapidly with mean speed - the total
> injury accident frequency increased with speed to the power of approximately 2.5 - thus indicating
> that a 10% increase in mean speed results in a 26% increase in the frequency of all injury
> accidents."
>
> "The effect of mean speed was found to be particularly large for junction accidents; these
> accidents were roughly proportional to the 5th power of speed, suggesting substantial potential
for
> accident reduction from strategies designed to reduce speeds at junctions."

Please don't confuse PS with well-researched and logical conclusions: he's only interested in
anything that will support his own warped views.

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:47:14 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>Of course I've had no reply because there is no defence.

Or maybe because they are all helpless with laughter at your re-assessment of Figure A2, discarding
their obviously bogus criteria for grouping roads (by speed limit) in favour of an approach which
ignores this and demonstrates that 70mph speed limits would increase safety on urban roads.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.