Let's be careful out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:59:11 -0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]> was popularly supposed to
have said:

>Patrick Herring <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I have to admit the main effect of gatsos is to introduce a strong note of "yes, that means you
>> too" in 40mph zones. This is a useful part of weaning people off the excitement of putting their
>> foot down whenever there's nothing ahead that they care about.
>
>The things I find surprisingly effective are those flashing slow down signs. Round us its amazing
>how people slow down for them even though there are no legal penalties for triggering them. Maybe
>its something to do with the embarassment of having it pointed publically that you are speeding.

The "display your speed" signs are also effective; there were a few of these on the A59 around the
time the National Front had a rally up west of Clitheroe.[1]

Every vehicle at that point then obeyed the temporary 30 MPH zone, although the huge numbers of
police around the area also had a marked effect on peoples' memories with regards to speed limits.

In other places, though, the effect is the opposite. In one town, it was apparently common practice
for the local yobs to gather by that sign at night, and play "Let's see who can get the highest
score" with it.

[1] All I feel about said organisation is that the quicker they are deemed a political risk and
banned, the better.

--
Dan Holdsworth PhD [email protected] By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the
beans of Java do thoughts acquire speed, hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, By
caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote: ...
| The things I find surprisingly effective are those flashing slow down signs. Round us its amazing
| how people slow down for them even though there are no legal penalties for triggering them. Maybe
| its something to do with the embarassment of having it pointed publically that you are speeding.

Sounds plausible. In Normandy, on the route north up to St Malo, there's a sign on a bend which, if
you're going too fast towards it, lights up with "Lever le pied". Needless to say, it's too
tempting...

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.