Lets Go For A Test Ride!!

davereo

Jun 17, 2010
I am in the market for a new mountain bike. I have set my price limit at $800.00.
Trek 4300 disc
Gary Fisher G2 Wahoo
Cannondale SL4
Gary Fisher Marlin 29er
Cannondale SL4 29er
These are all 2011 models I will also check out leftover stocks of these and other models in my price range.
If anyone has any of these bike I would like to hear about them? The 29ers really have my interest so if you have one any make or model I would like to hear about your opinions of them pro's and con's?
Thanks
Dave

Originally Posted by davereo .

I am in the market for a new mountain bike. I have set my price limit at $800.00.
Trek 4300 disc
Gary Fisher G2 Wahoo
Cannondale SL4
Gary Fisher Marlin 29er
Cannondale SL4 29er
These are all 2011 models I will also check out leftover stocks of these and other models in my price range.
If anyone has any of these bike I would like to hear about them? The 29ers really have my interest so if you have one any make or model I would like to hear about your opinions of them pro's and con's?
Thanks
Dave
What is the advantage of a 29ner? I take it the 29 part of the name refers to their wheel size?

Originally Posted by ambal .

What is the advantage of a 29ner? I take it the 29 part of the name refers to their wheel size?
The 29er is much more stable going over obstacles. I just got back from an afternoon at the bike shop and was very impressed by the 29er's. I felt very confident going down steep embankments and climbing over obstacles like islands in the parking lot. The ground clearance to the bottom bracket is greater than 26" bikes so there is less chance of damaging your bracket and crank. I also road the 29ers laterally along steep embankments without sliding down the hills. The contact path of the tires is greater than 26" bikes increasing traction drastically. The 29er was like riding a road bike down a paved lane. When I test road the Trek 4300 I felt like I was riding a mini bike. Needless to say I had a blast and purchased the Cannondale SL4 29er.

I will post new pics when the bike comes home and gets dirty. Will be picking it up Wednesday morning.

Originally Posted by davereo .

746.00 including tax frame pump and pedal upgrade.

Nice, that seems like really good value. I've never considered a 29er, I'll make sure I check 'em out next time i'm in the market for a mtb.