Let's hear it for the domestiques!

Simon Brooke

Guest
Not to take anything away from the two guys who got to the top of the
mountain first today (particularly not from the spectacular winner) but
let's hear it for Sastre and Piepoli. Brilliant performances, both of
them. Especially Piepoli, who, if the profile I'm reading is right, is
35.

"The result is a language that... not even its mother could
love. Like the camel, Common Lisp is a horse designed by
committee. Camels do have their uses."
;; Scott Fahlman, 7 March 1995

> Not to take anything away from the two guys who got to the top of the
> mountain first today (particularly not from the spectacular winner) but
> let's hear it for Sastre and Piepoli. Brilliant performances, both of
> them. Especially Piepoli, who, if the profile I'm reading is right, is
> 35.
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
> "The result is a language that... not even its mother could
> love. Like the camel, Common Lisp is a horse designed by
> committee. Camels do have their uses."
> ;; Scott Fahlman, 7 March 1995

Notice how Piepoli sprinted for 3rd to keep Cataluna from getting the 8
second time bonus? I'm sure Piepoli also wanted 3rd but it helped Simoni
also. As you stated both were brilliant, Sastre lit a fire at the front and
Piepoli stayed with Catuluna to help Simoni if caught back onto Simoni's
wheel...

-p

Common Lisp - (Lost In Stupid Parentheses) my least favorite language.

in message <[email protected]>, Pippen
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Not to take anything away from the two guys who got to the top of the
>> mountain first today (particularly not from the spectacular winner)
>> but let's hear it for Sastre and Piepoli. Brilliant performances, both
>> of them. Especially Piepoli, who, if the profile I'm reading is right,
>> is 35.
>>

> Notice how Piepoli sprinted for 3rd to keep Cataluna from getting the 8
> second time bonus?

I certainly did. And I was cheering him - he deserved that third place.

Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To murder men and give God thanks?
Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for
murther
-- Robert Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'

> Not to take anything away from the two guys who got to the top of the
> mountain first today (particularly not from the spectacular winner) but
> let's hear it for Sastre and Piepoli. Brilliant performances, both of
> them. Especially Piepoli, who, if the profile I'm reading is right, is
> 35.

It looked like Tiralongo and Bruseghin could have dropped Cunego with ease.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> let's hear it for Sastre and Piepoli. Brilliant performances, both of
> them. Especially Piepoli, who, if the profile I'm reading is right, is
> 35.

The fat masters seeming to be doing well in the giro this year with 36
year old Belli also finishing ahead of many of the favourites and
5th on GC as well.

BTW Anyone know anything about this French rider John Gadret, he seems to
be climbing better than most recent french riders.

Donald Munro wrote:
> BTW Anyone know anything about this French rider John Gadret, he seems
> to be climbing better than most recent french riders.

He's probably not French, I mean with a name like that and his cycling
abilities, it just can't be.

--
E. Dronkert

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> let's hear it for Sastre and Piepoli. Brilliant performances, both of
>> them. Especially Piepoli, who, if the profile I'm reading is right, is
>> 35.

> The fat masters seeming to be doing well in the giro this year with 36
> year old Belli also finishing ahead of many of the favourites and
> 5th on GC as well.
>
> BTW Anyone know anything about this French rider John Gadret, he seems to
> be climbing better than most recent french riders.

Champion of France in Cyclocross. Today's stage should suit him (he's less
than 60 kg), especially if the riders end up having to carry their bikes
when the hill hits 24 percent and the tires sink in to the still soft
surface.

Donald Munro wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > let's hear it for Sastre and Piepoli. Brilliant performances, both of
> > them. Especially Piepoli, who, if the profile I'm reading is right, is
> > 35.

> The fat masters seeming to be doing well in the giro this year with 36
> year old Belli also finishing ahead of many of the favourites and
> 5th on GC as well.

dumbass,

the Giro will become the Masters Tour de France.

"Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> Not to take anything away from the two guys who got to the top of the
> mountain first today (particularly not from the spectacular winner) but
> let's hear it for Sastre and Piepoli. Brilliant performances, both of
> them. Especially Piepoli, who, if the profile I'm reading is right, is
> 35.

What are you on about? How many bottles can Sastre or Piepoli carry?

The true king of domestiques are Sacchi and Garrido. Garrido carried 16
water bottles, then Sacchi went him two better with 18, and Now garrido says
he's going to try for 20.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/may06/may24news

trg wrote:
> What are you on about? How many bottles can Sastre or Piepoli carry?
>
> The true king of domestiques are Sacchi and Garrido. Garrido carried 16
> water bottles, then Sacchi went him two better with 18, and Now garrido says
> he's going to try for 20.
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/may06/may24news

Perhaps they should introduce a special jersey for the best domestique.
However they need to regulate things like allowed pocket depth to
eliminate technical improvements dominating the competition.