Let's refer the good guys !!

John Clarke

Guest
After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance i've
had positive experiences from both of the below listings.

http://www.poweroncycling.com http://www.performancebike.com

My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else from
someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and elsewhere
on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make those future
decisions.

Thanks.

John Clarke

Hi, John, I'll second your choices and add one that I have always found to be great to deal with:-

http://www.lickbike.com/index.htm

At least it is great if you don't have to deal with the owner, as he is very abrupt and impersonal
on the phone but the employees are really good and helpful to deal with. Also, the prices are very
competitive.

Lewis.

http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

"John Clarke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
> really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance i've
> had positive experiences from both of the below listings.
>
> http://www.poweroncycling.com http://www.performancebike.com
>

> My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else
> from someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and
> elsewhere on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make those
> future decisions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John Clarke

John, We have lot's of good posts about positive experiences, as well as bad. Some persons have bad
experiences with same bikes, suppliers, bikers as others have good experiences with. Experience
quality usually depends on both supplier and supplied.
--
~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

"John Clarke"

[email protected] (Lewis Campbell) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hi, John, I'll second your choices and add one that I have always found to be great to deal with:-
>
> http://www.lickbike.com/index.htm

I've dealt well with the following: http://www.gaerlan.com/ http://www.speedgoat.com/
http://www.supergo.com/ http://www.pricepoint.com/

as well as the aforementioned Nashbar & Performance(whose tech guys can both be kind of pissy
sometimes), Jenson ~ good and Power-On ~ excellent.

rorschandt

In Australia Dean Woods Direct www.deanwoods.com.au have given me excellent service for bike bits
and pieces.

Paul W

> After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
> really good, positive experiences from suppliers.

Seems to be NG nature to run things down constructively and deconstructively. I have been guilty
of both. I, too, like your idea of the positive experiences. Here are some that I have had GREAT
luck with:

- Burley
- Calhoun Cycles
- Hostel Shoppe

Derek

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:51:17 -0600, rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] (Lewis Campbell) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> Hi, John, I'll second your choices and add one that I have always found to be great to
>> deal with:-
>>
>> http://www.lickbike.com/index.htm
>I've dealt well with the following: http://www.gaerlan.com/ http://www.speedgoat.com/
>http://www.supergo.com/ http://www.pricepoint.com/
>
>as well as the aforementioned Nashbar & Performance(whose tech guys can both be kind of pissy
>sometimes), Jenson ~ good and Power-On ~ excellent.

I've tried to order from many of these companies without much success
- some don't take overseas credit card orders, and others only ship by FedEx and UPS. (USPS tends to
be much cheaper.) Admittedly some of the blame maybe on my credit card company - one or two of the
shops refused my order saying they verify my address. In any case, I've had much better luck with
smaller shops like Hostel Shoppe, Calhoun Cycles and Peter White Cycles. Does anyone know other
mail-order shops that are friendly towards overseas customers?

In the UK, St John Street Cycles is a good mail-order shop to deal with. Great web site
(http://www.sjscycles.com/), reasonable policy towards overseas orders, and fast response to
e-mail queries.

some folks who have treated me well:

Calhoun Cycle RANS Nashbar The BikeRack (St. Charles, IL) Rapid Transit Cycles (Chicago) Tern of the
Wheel (Bradley, IL- my lbs)

and believe it or not,

BikeE (RIP)

rich westerman

V2

I posted most of my experiences, but here goes with a some anecdotal stuff:

Here's who I've ordered alot of stuff from (5+ items): www.jensonusa.com My personal favourite; keep
you updated of order status, usually have the best prices, never had problems. I've found them to be
quick, efficient, reliable and the best value. I've ordered at least 20 items from them.

www.nashbar.com Haven't ordered from them for about 8 months now, but they are very good to deal
with. Returns are accepted no problems, web site is reliable. Not always the cheapest for name brand
items, but sometimes you can get really good Nashbar branded stuff (be wary though, not all Nashbar
brand stuff is that good).

www.performancebike.com Haven't ordered from them for about a year or two now. They seem to be very
good to deal with -reputable, but a little on the expensive side for name brand items, and
Performance brand items don't seem to be too value packed either.

Here are more the occasional purchases (<2 items):

www.universalcycles.com Ordered a suspension fork from them a couple of years ago that went into the
black hole of orders. Got the impression they were honest but did not have the systems in place to
keep a consumer updated of an order. I always tell people to follow up with a phone call when
ordering from them, though of course things might have changed by now.

www.pricepoint.com and www.supergo.com Very good prices. Ordered a couple of items from both of
these stores in the last couple of years with no problems. But Jensonusa with the prices and order
status mean I'm not tempted to use them often unless there's something that can't be passed by.
Can't recall if I had an order status or not, but the web sites are relatively slick.

www.cambriabike.com Ordered one item a year ago, no problems. I thought the web site was klunky
though, and I couldn't see the status of my order.

All in all, my nod is for JensonUSA -I always seem to end up ordering there.

cheers

Nige

"John Clarke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
> really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance i've
> had positive experiences from both of the below listings.
>
> http://www.poweroncycling.com http://www.performancebike.com
>

> My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else
> from someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and
> elsewhere on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make those
> future decisions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John Clarke

"John Clarke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
> really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance i've
> had positive experiences from both of the below listings.
>
> http://www.poweroncycling.com http://www.performancebike.com
>

> My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else
> from someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and
> elsewhere on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make those
> future decisions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John Clarke

While he doesn't have a web site any longer, if you are looking for recumbent parts and knowledge,
it doesn't get any better than Zach Kaplan Cycles. Zach is extremely knowledgeable about almost any
aspect of recumbents and particularly about tires or tyres as Zach would. Zach can get you any part
that you need for your recumbent and is quick to give you realistic advice as to what works and
doesn't work and do so at competititive prices. While I have several pretty good LBS, they dont know
recumbents, and I generally prefer to use Zach because I wont be purchasing some part that I will
have to return because it is inappropriate for my needs. Zach can be reached at

Zach Kaplan Cycles Alameda, Northern California, North America 510-522-BENT (2368)
[email protected]

[email protected] (Pat) writes:

> While he doesn't have a web site any longer, if you are looking for recumbent parts and
> knowledge, it doesn't get any better than Zach Kaplan Cycles. Zach is extremely knowledgeable
> about almost any

Hi there, I second this .. in spades! ... Zach is very, very good.

I have also had very good experience with St John Street Cycles in the UK. They have a lot of
"unusual" stuff, the price is right and they ship reasonably quickly, even to the US.

They are at:- http://www.sjscycles.com/

cheers pete

--
pete hilton [email protected]

IsaBella --- ICE Explorer #1070

[email protected] (Nigey) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I posted most of my experiences, but here goes with a some anecdotal stuff:
>
> Here's who I've ordered alot of stuff from (5+ items): www.jensonusa.com My personal
> favourite; keep you updated of order status, usually have the best prices, never had problems.
> I've found them to be quick, efficient, reliable and the best value. I've ordered at least 20
> items from them.
>
> www.nashbar.com Haven't ordered from them for about 8 months now, but they are very good to deal
> with. Returns are accepted no problems, web site is reliable. Not always the cheapest for name
> brand items, but sometimes you can get really good Nashbar branded stuff (be wary though, not all
> Nashbar brand stuff is that good).
>
> www.performancebike.com

I just bought front and rear panniers from Nashbar. These are uerthane coated tarp like material
very similiar to the Vaude waterproof roll-top panniers I was about to buy. The Nashbar panniers
were about a third of the cost and have greatly exceeded my expectations.

I ride an EZ-1 and will be on the Bike Florida trip in a couple of weeks. The smaller front panniers
mount on the factory racks under the seat. I modified a factory rear rack to take the larger rear
panniers. I sure do love my bent.
> Haven't ordered from them for about a year or two now. They seem to be very good to deal with
> -reputable, but a little on the expensive side for name brand items, and Performance brand items
> don't seem to be too value packed either.
>
> Here are more the occasional purchases (<2 items):
>
> www.universalcycles.com Ordered a suspension fork from them a couple of years ago that went into
> the black hole of orders. Got the impression they were honest but did not have the systems in
> place to keep a consumer updated of an order. I always tell people to follow up with a phone call
> when ordering from them, though of course things might have changed by now.
>
> www.pricepoint.com and www.supergo.com Very good prices. Ordered a couple of items from both of
> these stores in the last couple of years with no problems. But Jensonusa with the prices and order
> status mean I'm not tempted to use them often unless there's something that can't be passed by.
> Can't recall if I had an order status or not, but the web sites are relatively slick.
>
> www.cambriabike.com Ordered one item a year ago, no problems. I thought the web site was klunky
> though, and I couldn't see the status of my order.
>
> All in all, my nod is for JensonUSA -I always seem to end up ordering there.
>
> cheers
>
> Nige
>
> "John Clarke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
> > really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance
> > i've had positive experiences from both of the below listings.
> >
> > http://www.poweroncycling.com http://www.performancebike.com
> >

> > My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else
> > from someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and
> > elsewhere on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make
> > those future decisions.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > John Clarke

<snip> I will try Jenson, never heard of it, but Nashbar has been excellent, and I find they have
great specials if you look for them, especially when seasons are going to change. Chas