Let's settle this once and for all; Wearing pro-team jerseys :)

Wearing a pro jersey (IMHO) isn't a sin. Wearing the full uniform when you are slow as m0o0o-lasses on a late fall day is. If the jersey looks good and makes you feel good, rock it. I wear a Doug Williams Jersey, a Warren Sapp jersey and some times a Barry Sanders Jersey. that doesn't make me pro running back but it shows players I respect enough to wear. As a fairly new cyclist that kicks a lot of more experienced cyclists butts, I enjoy being as inoccuous as possible when passing

Wearing a jersey to support you favorite team is OK. Wearing full kit, and I mean the entire lit is laughable. :D :eek: :D

Feanor said:
Thanks much!Feanor
my thought is you should wear what feels comfortable, but I would never wear a team jersey because I am not on/part of that team... I like to wear jerseys which are either plain (but they are so boring) or that depict an idea or organization I support.
For example, my favorite riding jersey is my Harpoon Summer Ale jersey; I drink Haproon Summer Ale, so it is a concept/idea/organization I support ;)

BugMan said:
Feanor,

I think 7-Up and Saturn have way cool pro-kits, but my favorite is Kelme. On the other hand, Mapei is the most hideous kit I've ever seen.

I think most of us buy the pro-team jerseys as a way of identifying with the sport or with a team. I can't believe that most riders (or others) think for a moment that we are posing as actual team members as we take part in the local club rides or go out on our own. I have a Soviet Air Force jersey, an Irish national jersey, a Polish National Team jersey, lots of local jerseys, lots of team jerseys including Lotto, Mapei, La Vie Claire (remember), remember them?.
I agree that Mapei is a pretty hideous jersey. That was part of its appeal to me. I think though that the outfits worn by Super Mario a couple of years ago when he was still winning sprints were the ultimate in hideosity.

Van

Forget what anybody else thinks and wear whatever you like. Wear a friggin storm trooper outfit if you like and if someone doesn't like it tell them to ********. End of story. If you listen to other people they will tell you what you can and can't do all day long. So don't listen to anyone. ;)

If they still don't mind their business extract a tooth with your fist - they were asking for it.

^^^ My sentiment exactly. I wear them frequently. Besides, most people get the pleasure of seeing only the back of the jersey/bibs as I go by - unless, of course, they're coming in the other direction...

wow, someone dusted off this thread and decided to add to the collection of posts! :D

now that it is alive again and I'm not the one who dug it out of the ground, I would have to agree with everyone who commented. why would there be any reason to look down on a rider who wears pro gear? I am a rookie at cycling and I sport the pro look. I don' wear it because I consider myself an aspiring professional cyclist, but simply for the fact that I like the design and it matched my bike nicely. Anyone that has a problem with that can ride in the other direction, I have no problem riding solo :p

I really don't care what anyone wears when they ride. Nor do I care who passes me or who I pass. Uhm, I ride for myself.

tonyzackery said:
^^^ My sentiment exactly. I wear them frequently. Besides, most people get the pleasure of seeing only the back of the jersey/bibs as I go by - unless, of course, they're coming in the other direction...

bianchi10 said:
...now that it is alive again and I'm not the one who dug it out of the ground, I would have to agree with everyone who commented. why would there be any reason to look down on a rider who wears pro gear? I am a rookie at cycling and I sport the pro look. I don' wear it because I consider myself an aspiring professional cyclist, but simply for the fact that I like the design and it matched my bike nicely. Anyone that has a problem with that can ride in the other direction, I have no problem riding solo :p

alienator said:
I really don't care what anyone wears when they ride. Nor do I care who passes me or who I pass. Uhm, I ride for myself.

gman0482 said:
I'm + 1 ^^^ with all 3 of you. Now 4 of you...

-Greg

^^^
bing.gif
Make that 5... ^^^

They make handy Christmas presents, if nothing else.

Hopefully Santa Claus is bringing me a Saxo bank jersey.

i got a jersey that i wear that to myself trumps all other jersys combined. the design, the color, the absense of logos and the world ranked superman powers it gives me trumps all team jerseys combined.

anyone care to guess which one it is? ;)

i did like the old discovery jerseys though.

alienator said:

LOL! Was this pithy jibe directed at moi?? LOL!

FYI, I keep track of EVERY person I pass. Furthermore, every ride is a race, and each race result has a direct and lasting effect on my extremely fragile ego. The affirmation I receive from passing 99.9% of riders in my direction is the only reason I ride...heck, what other reason is there??? Now get out there and blow somebody's skewers off - if you can!:p

tonyzackery said:
LOL! Was this pithy jibe directed at moi?? LOL!

FYI, I keep track of EVERY person I pass.

Me too ,but it's really not that hard since I am not talking about big numbers.:D

wearing the pro jersy not only shows honor to the team butalso supports it as team get a "percentage"

Feanor said:
All right, I've had some fairly intense discussions with friends and acquaintances on this subject, and a post recently got me to thinking about recent events concerning the wearing of pro-team jerseys while cycling when in fact you are not a member of even the local bike club, let alone Once, Fassa Bortolo, Telekom, or USPostal...

I myself have several Pro jerseys including USPostal, 7up, Navigators and Saturn. Three of them were given to me by my wife as a present at one time and I bought the Saturn jersey for myself.

I almost always ride by myself, being still a complete novice at road cycling. and normally I would typically wear plain black or blue cycling shorts and a plain white t-shirt or a beige cycling jersey I used for mountain biking for years.

But on occasion I would don one of the pro jerseys for a ride. Until a few days ago, I never garnered the attention of anyone (What would say, a Saturn rider be doing in my no name neck of the woods? If I could even be mistaken as a pro rider in the first place!)

I wear the jerseys not to impress anyone else, I know people who are familiar with cycling will just shrug it off, and those who aren't will wonder something along the lines of "When did US mailmen start riding bikes instead of driving those little vans?"

Wearing the jersey is a visceral experience for me. Something that lends a strong feeling of connection to my newfound enthusiasm for the sport, and a tribute to the teams that I have ultimate respect for.

Friends have told me "You shouldn't wear the jerseys" and when I ask why, they reply "Because other riders will look down on you and think you're posing" At that moment in the conversation I pointed over to my friends BMW and gave him a confused look. "You mean like when you drive a very expensive car that you have to make payments on?"

My take on the whole thing is that if someone could explain to me that non-pro's did not wear pro-jerseys because it was a show of respect and honor, the same way that you didn't just pin a Medal of Honor on your chest and parade around, in that instance I could completely understand and would happily comply.

But up till now, the only reasoning I have heard is that OTHER people will ridicule me? Is that the prevalent feeling? Because if it is, then I'm wearing the jerseys ALL the time *laughing* I'm a rock bottom newbie road cyclist in a "drive your car to the corner grocery store country" how much more ridicule could get heaped on me than isn't on my shoulders already? :)

There seems to be alot of "don't do that because other cyclists will blah blah blah..." I refuse to believe that any group so dedicated and disciplined as serious cyclists would be so superficial... and I'm hoping that the true reasoning behind friction created by wearing a jersey you didn't earn, is a violation of the sense of honor and respect that just doesn't get communicated with the appropriate articulation when people attempt to explain.

I wear the Jerseys because they give me a sense of being a small part of a greater whole. And if a cyclist who looked down on me for doing so would blast by me on the road to embarass me or otherwise prove that I was smaller than the jersey, doesn't that speak more to their faults, then to my small indulgence?

The incident that in part prompted this new thread was on one of my normal short hill climbs I was in the USPostal Jersey and huffing my way to the top... I passed a young kid maybe about 16 or 17ish watering a lawn... He yells out at me as I pass in a very sarcastic tone "going to the Tour de France next year Lance?" I glanced over at him and replied "No, you going to the superbowl?"

He was wearing a Raiders Jerry Rice NFL jersey...

Could I have misheard his sarcasm? or was he just so dense as to not realize the level of his own hypocrisy? If not, then I would wager I had more right, huffing up that hill in pain, to wear my Jersey than he did while hosing down some grass...

Tell me how you feel on this subject, I genuinely would like to know... Do you not wear the Jersey's for fear of ridicule from others? or as a sign of respect, as if they were in fact something like military uniforms that should be earned...

Thanks much!

Feanor

I have Rajon Rondo's Celtics jersey, but unfortunately, I won't make $55 million in the next 5 years. :(