Let's settle this once and for all; Wearing pro-team jerseys :)

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Feanor, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Madd Dogg

Madd Dogg New Member

Wearing a pro jersey (IMHO) isn't a sin. Wearing the full uniform when you are slow as m0o0o-lasses on a late fall day is. If the jersey looks good and makes you feel good, rock it. I wear a Doug Williams Jersey, a Warren Sapp jersey and some times a Barry Sanders Jersey. that doesn't make me pro running back but it shows players I respect enough to wear. As a fairly new cyclist that kicks a lot of more experienced cyclists butts, I enjoy being as inoccuous as possible when passing

2. wugga

wugga New Member

Wearing a jersey to support you favorite team is OK. Wearing full kit, and I mean the entire lit is laughable. :D :eek: :D

3. astroluc

astroluc New Member

my thought is you should wear what feels comfortable, but I would never wear a team jersey because I am not on/part of that team... I like to wear jerseys which are either plain (but they are so boring) or that depict an idea or organization I support.
    For example, my favorite riding jersey is my Harpoon Summer Ale jersey; I drink Haproon Summer Ale, so it is a concept/idea/organization I support ;)

4. Van Hilliard

Van Hilliard New Member

I think most of us buy the pro-team jerseys as a way of identifying with the sport or with a team. I can't believe that most riders (or others) think for a moment that we are posing as actual team members as we take part in the local club rides or go out on our own. I have a Soviet Air Force jersey, an Irish national jersey, a Polish National Team jersey, lots of local jerseys, lots of team jerseys including Lotto, Mapei, La Vie Claire (remember), remember them?.
    I agree that Mapei is a pretty hideous jersey. That was part of its appeal to me. I think though that the outfits worn by Super Mario a couple of years ago when he was still winning sprints were the ultimate in hideosity.

Van

5. wescoas1

wescoas1 New Member

Forget what anybody else thinks and wear whatever you like. Wear a friggin storm trooper outfit if you like and if someone doesn't like it tell them to piss off. End of story. If you listen to other people they will tell you what you can and can't do all day long. So don't listen to anyone. ;)

If they still don't mind their business extract a tooth with your fist - they were asking for it.

6. johnpricebldr

johnpricebldr New Member

7. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

^^^ My sentiment exactly. I wear them frequently. Besides, most people get the pleasure of seeing only the back of the jersey/bibs as I go by - unless, of course, they're coming in the other direction...

8. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

wow, someone dusted off this thread and decided to add to the collection of posts! :D

now that it is alive again and I'm not the one who dug it out of the ground, I would have to agree with everyone who commented. why would there be any reason to look down on a rider who wears pro gear? I am a rookie at cycling and I sport the pro look. I don' wear it because I consider myself an aspiring professional cyclist, but simply for the fact that I like the design and it matched my bike nicely. Anyone that has a problem with that can ride in the other direction, I have no problem riding solo :p

9. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I really don't care what anyone wears when they ride. Nor do I care who passes me or who I pass. Uhm, I ride for myself.

10. gman0482

gman0482 Member

I'm + 1 ^^^ with all 3 of you. Now 4 of you...

-Greg

11. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

^^^ [​IMG] Make that 5... ^^^

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

They make handy Christmas presents, if nothing else.

Hopefully Santa Claus is bringing me a Saxo bank jersey.

13. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

I love the saxo bank jersey! nice choice

14. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i got a jersey that i wear that to myself trumps all other jersys combined. the design, the color, the absense of logos and the world ranked superman powers it gives me trumps all team jerseys combined.

anyone care to guess which one it is? ;)

i did like the old discovery jerseys though.

15. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

LOL! Was this pithy jibe directed at moi?? LOL!

FYI, I keep track of EVERY person I pass. Furthermore, every ride is a race, and each race result has a direct and lasting effect on my extremely fragile ego. The affirmation I receive from passing 99.9% of riders in my direction is the only reason I ride...heck, what other reason is there??? Now get out there and blow somebody's skewers off - if you can!:p

16. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Me too ,but it's really not that hard since I am not talking about big numbers.:D

17. pat5319

pat5319 New Member

wearing the pro jersy not only shows honor to the team butalso supports it as team get a "percentage"

18. gman0482

gman0482 Member

I have Rajon Rondo's Celtics jersey, but unfortunately, I won't make $55 million in the next 5 years. :(

19. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

The black design?

20. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I've no problem at all with a tastefully worn team jersey:

[​IMG]