Let's settle this once and for all; Wearing pro-team jerseys :)

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Feanor, Aug 28, 2003.

1. alicem

alicem New Member

O.k, I wrote and then deleted as was too frustrated to articulate properly.

I'm just too shocked at you and Kona saying that you do wear those maillot jaune jerseys.

First off...Kona,how much did that Paris shop charge you for yours (?!), secondly if you are so proud of having/wearing it on a day to day basis why not wear it on your club meetings? - Because you know how much you would be laughed at per chance?

Seconly Para....wait until the day comes, as we all know it will to any rider, that you literally bonk on that climb and get sprinted past by anyone at all be they 65+ for e.g......then you will hear the jeers. Take your earphones out now!

A maillot, let alone the jaune should only be worn if deserved...and then those riders who have won them in the past wouldn't even wear them on their personal training rides....they are auctioned off most of the time for good causes.

Like Limerickman, on reading his msg and myself have said....they should only ever be worn if earnt the hard way or it would be like wearing the Star Of David if a Muslim because it looked 'cool' around your neck.

Come back and tell me when you have ridden the TDF and won and I for one will be the happiest person out there to see you wearing it for the right reasons.

~gobsmacked~

2. pace-line

pace-line New Member

I was under the impression, having read the question posed in the beggining of this thread, that Team Jersey's were in question, correct? So when did the question become Yellow jersey's? With regard/respect to one who earns yellow, as far as "replicas" go, I agree, that the wearing of yellow, will likely be looked down on by many, as one suggesting their dominance over other riders, without having earned that regard/respect, however, the color, as a coordinated fashion statement/accesory, if you will, could be considered a favorite color, rather than pretention. It is also a wise color to don, for high visability in low light hours (though one might well know that many will be offended). What I would like to know is, for those who either used to race, never raced, or would never consider it, why does the topic matter so much? What I mean to ask is, if one never puts themselves, there honor, effort and training on a starting line, racing towards a certian conclusive answer to who, that day, is the best, then what is the point (whether it be wearing a replica yellow or team jersey or being opposed to either)? Asside from the lack of feeling competative, and trying, in some arena, to compensate for that same feeling of lacking, and verbally competing/arguing over non "cycling/riding/performance" related topics, only points that out to everyone reading this thread.

Just be real, put on a number, put your whole self out, in public, race, then argue with words if one still feels they must. My observation is, if you will, that once one does so, if they win, with honor and as a good sportsman, they will have little to no opinion of such matters, for obvious reasons. The other is that those who race and place behind the winner, anywhere, either place as such with honor as sportsman, respect the days winner and live with respect in the peloton to compete another day. They do this by shutting their mouths. Yet another, are those who place behind the winner, open their mouth, are consequently are disrespected by the peloton, and often disliked and/or eventually dispised, to the point that in a future small breakaway, no one will assist them, and be hung out to dry, all because of a deep seeded feeling of lacking, and need to win rather than pure desire for the same. The last are those who lack in a number of areas of actual cycling competition and/or lack the courage to do so, will never race, let alone win or place, and have no business discussing "yellow jersey etiquitte", as if they had done any of the former. Be aware however, the excuses will be like so many grains of sand on a beach, as to why they could never or would never race. So, as I meant earlier, just do it, or just shut it already!

3. velomanct

velomanct New Member

the rainbow jersey should only be worn by world champions.

pro team jerseys- i would never wear one(unless i turn pro)

4. Kona_Blue

Kona_Blue New Member

Dear AliceM and Limerickman,
    You are entitled to your opinions and this is certainly the forum for you to express them.

Firstly, I would like to point out that I wore the "copy" Maillot Jaune on this particular occassion as I was cycling on a freeway, which I wanted the highest visibility to motorists. My other jerseys are darker and I thought it might be nice to arrive alive for a weekend up the coast.
    Secondly, I had already stated that I would not wear the MJ on a group ride or in a local race because it would be inappropriate. Not to mention ridiculous at my level of ability.
    Thirdly, I had purchased the MJ in '96 as a memento of a visit to Paris. Should it be consigned to the depths of the closet forever ? I'm not about to frame an unsigned, not authentic MJ am I ?

I know you'll never forgive me for this gross violation of your vision of cycling protocol, but alas it's still a free world.

I will now get off my soap box.

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

As you say you are absolutely free to wear/not wear the Maillot
    Jeune.
    I too was in Paris in 1997 and I saw plenty of MJ's for sale in San Martine Dept store.
    (in fact they had green/polka dot jerseys too).
    I was tempted to purchase one but I didn't because I honestly wouldn't be comfortable wearing it.
    Perhaps that's more of a reflection on me ?
    I don't know.

If you feel that you could wear one - well then that is your business.
    I was only expressing my view.

Happy Cycling !

6. Mampara

Mampara New Member

My yellow jersey isn't even a replica. It's jus a local manufacturer that makes up jerseys in any colour you like. So I guess I can't get a pink jersey for my girlfriend then. I ride a Saeco replica C'dale. I do not ride for or ever did ride for the team. I liked the colours and bought it. Stuff those who think I'm a show off.

7. pace-line

pace-line New Member

:eek:

8. pace-line

pace-line New Member

9. pace-line

pace-line New Member

There is no right or wrong to this debate. Understand? Since the matter is that of opinion. Polling the masses is the only way to gain the group support needed to prove such an averment, and displays/telegraphs weakness in the arguement of it. Just ride/race, if one truelly wishes to be heard. But then were that the case, interest in the issue would be of no interest. Marketing and real sales of the manufactured and marketed jerseys alone prove the opinion itself to be weak. Perhaps however there are hundreds of thousands of cyclists refusing to buy them as well. With respect to residual sales, and supporting respective teams, I for one encourage it, and any pro understands that the business that keeps teams alive, is a combination of name recognition derived from retail sales and winning/placing, and points. Going pro means understanding the business as well as being a competitor on the machine.

10. pace-line

pace-line New Member

Hands up to all the cyclists, from casual to ametuer race cats, who have never wished to own the same machines that the pros ride, or that don't now own one. Does this topic then differ that much from the "pro team and winners jersey's" debate? After all the manufacturers of specific frames support/sponsor and/or provide machines to teams, do they not? Would owning the same brand of frame, same model be breach of cycling etiquette? Great question Mampara. I would bet that every machine manufacturer will fervently say that they intend for the desire of cyclists to be, a desire to use the same model or brand machine of their favorite team. After all, why else would a company provide free machines to an entire team at the cost of thousands of dollars, if sales and profits were actually business goals? Could it be a form of marketing to a specific audience, even a captive audience, and name recognition, which is also linked to the future sales of high end machines. Do clothing manufacturers need to pay for the rights, to owners of a cycling team, to manufacture each team jersey? Is the topic becoming any clearer for those who still ignorantly adhere to arrogant opinion, in the vain effort to appear elite, without the placing results?

11. pace-line

pace-line New Member

Perhaps it is only me, but I am able to recall life, though a long time ago, before I was involved in the world of competitive cycling.
    I seem to recall that upon first becoming interested in the subject of cycle racing, and watching the same, I had no at birth knowledge of what the different color jerseys even meant. What I am getting at, if you will, is that the only segment of the population that one might be trying to dupe, by wearing team or winners jerseys, without "earning them" are within the confines of those who know their meaning. To all others they are just prefered colors. To those who are familiar, shame on them if they are unable to recognize an accomplished pro, compared to others, in a competative arena. In any other arena, that is, without a start line, start time and finish line, what does the color of a jersey matter anyway? If one is "threatened, or offended in any way" by an individual wearing or riding any type, brand or variety of gear, outside of a race scenario, they immediately state, without specifically phrasing it, that they are in fact interested in at least being able to be perceived by others as a strong, if not the strongest rider in the group. Spoken or not, I say strap on a number, it is the only true gauge. Those who form opinion, and wish to assert it, allegedly backed by cycling etiquitte, attempt to enforce a shield which is meant to prop up an inflated ego or desired self image, without even a suggestion of competion. A sad false sense of reality, indeed. Be real.

12. pace-line

pace-line New Member

13. alicem

alicem New Member

Wow, I come back to my p.c after some days away and then see this....is the only eaay to reply and here it is Pace...get a 'Maker' ('scuse the lame joke) if you need to yawn so much btw, it may help? I am pointing this to say to don't be so quick to jump at mine or Limerickmans replies in specific or you will make yourself ill again.

This is how the debate started hence the team jerseys and following discussions on the subject.

Maybe a hint would be to start at the beginning of the thread instead of say a random page of 3 or 5?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: 2LAP

Title: Moderator

29-08.-2003 12:13 PM

Pro team kit is OK, and the retro gear may even be cool.

I wouldn't wear world champ or national champ jerseys unless you have won them, as IMHO this really devalues them.

Name: Babbar

Title: Senior Member

09-09.-2003 07:41 PM

'The only ones I question are those who wear a World Champion, Tour de France, Giro, or Vuelta winner's jersey, King of the Mountain or something along those lines.'

limerickman

01-04.-2004 06:50 PM

‘I couldn't bring myself to wear the winners jerseys in the TDF, Giro Vuelta or the W/C jersey. It would seem like sacrelige.’

Name: alicem

17-04.-2004 09:05 PM

‘Totally agree re W.Championships/P.dot/Green/Maillot Jaune jerseys. No one should ever wear them unless earnt the hard way! Saying that I doubt those true champions would ever wear them as are too humble!'
    Alice x

Name: Kona_Blue

Title: Member

20-04.-2004 06:35 PM

‘Although this comes from someone who bought a Maillot jeune in a Paris bike shop back in '96 and wore it for the first time in February this year. I thought it might be tantamount to blasphemy to wear something so revered. Nobody honked their horn or yelled any abuse.
    I still wouldn't have the balls to wear it on a group ride or a weekend race.’

Name: jester69

22-04.-2004 09:29 AM

‘Never having ridden in a group, would that be wearaing yellow without earning it, or is it exclusively the team kit yellow that would be "disrespectful".’

Name: pace-line

24-04.-2004 02:35 PM

‘I was under the impression, having read the question posed in the beggining of this thread, that Team Jersey's were in question, correct? So when did the question become Yellow jersey's? With regard/respect to one who earns yellow, as far as "replicas" go, I agree, that the wearing of yellow, will likely be looked down on by many, as one suggesting their dominance over other riders, without having earned that regard/respect………’

Velomanct

24-04.-2004 07:51 PM

’the rainbow jersey should only be worn by world champions’

Name: pace-line

26-04.-2004 09:30 AM

Hands up to all the cyclists, from casual to ametuer race cats, who have never wished to own the same machines that the pros ride, or that don't now own one. Does this topic then differ that much from the "pro team and winners jersey's" (<<<<debate!<<<<see dif thread Pace!)

'know you'll never forgive me for this gross violation of your vision of cycling protocol, but alas it's still a free world...........'
    Please, if this happens again could you read the thread clearly from the beginning instead of picking it up after having been posted on 29/08/2003 hence wondering how different leaders jerseys came into the equation.'

I will now get off my soap box.'

~~~~~~~

Name: pace-line:

‘What I am getting at, if you will, is that the only segment of the population that one might be trying to dupe; by wearing team or winners jerseys, without "earning them" are within the confines of those who know their meaning…….Those who form opinion, and wish to assert it, allegedly backed by cycling etiquitte, attempt to enforce a shield which is meant to prop up an inflated ego or desired self image, without even a suggestion of competion. A sad false sense of reality, indeed. Be real.’

~~~~~~~~~~

I was embarrased with all your garb due to be too high faulting, but; sadly,as b/s to me It is so obvious you didn't even bother reading/remembering the first few post back on. Like you said, this is a free forum so keep typing away if that is what you choose to do.

Please, if this happens again could you read the thread clearly from the beginning instead of picking it up after having been posted on 29/08/2003 hence wondering how different leaders jerseys came into the equation.

Off to rest again....laterz all

xxxAlicexxx

14. alicem

alicem New Member

~thwacking self over head with a wet fish~ Grrrr, pees me off when I read my often appalling grammar. Oh well, such is life. Either way, I hope you 'got' my point Pace.

Waiting for the yawn now, LMFAO! Alice :)

15. HoundMann

HoundMann New Member

Great post matey!
    I like you am a fairly newbie. Yes I do wear Pro Team kits, admittedly both jersey and shorts together.
    My take on it is that when you are huffing your way up hills and you are wearing those colours it could be the fact that those colours get you up the hill because you know a percentage of what those riders go through.
    Nothing wrong in kitting yourself out and plodding away. Anything that helps get through the pain of the hills. Living in London, UK I see a lot of pro team shirts as I ride and have never had a bad word or look for that matter. Hell one time when I was trying to sprint past my Dad (also a keen rider) wearing my Saeco jersey and shorts a cyclilst in a nearby car park resting up shouted "Have him Cippo!!!" that spurred me on even more!!
    If you are a cyclist I think you are part of one big family. Lets face it whatever country you are in, if you cycle then you do more exercise than 90% of the population!!!

Bottom line - wear the pro kits. It gives you a small kinship to your heroes. It assists you in keeping motivated. The amount of times I used to struggle on hills then would think of Pantani or whoever - that thought got me up those hills and over the top.

Take it easy - I'm off to buy the Domina Vacenza kit now!! lol

16. alicem

alicem New Member

LMAO, I do that too.....a quick, ALLEZ and the look of a tortured face brighens up (after the who the f is shouting and what are they shouting.)...ahh, another in love with the sport, nice one and grin away!

Alice :) ~Off to attack her email....or maybe not....think I have a cold, or should I say 'the flu' if I was a bloke?!!

Oh, and hello there Hound! Hope you are enjoying your shopping spree!

17. HoundMann

HoundMann New Member

Oh!!! How sexist - flu/cold!!!!
    Shopping spree great thanks! What kind of ride you got out of interest?

18. pace-line

pace-line New Member

No worries mate. It's all good:) I liked the joke though. Cardio training is where it's at. Wish I could just set it real low, and go:), forever. I read from the beggining, but alas, I still see no point. That is the beauty of the opinion thing. They just are, no right or wrong. You might be surprised to learn that I have no opinion on the subject, just an objective interest in discussing unarguable positions:) As well as my terrible grammer and spelling.
    Stay real Alice, and I hope you feel better soon

19. alicem

alicem New Member

Classic post Maker!

I was woken (at 03.00am GMT ) by some twit wanting to get into another flat in my building and buzzing my door...argh...I could have ripped his head off!....hence me seeing your message when I couldn't sleep again so went online.

You made me lMFAO. It's true, who the f cares...I just sort of sneer but won't run a false m.jaune/p.dot etc jersey down! I would just be happy they were out there on the road!!!

I hate arguing if you hadn't guessed already but the 'latern rouge' in me as described by a friend who I have met through this forum ages ago is very articulate and true!' I should be a Flamenco dancing Romany not a 'British Rose! That would make sense!

You take care

Alice xxx

(ouch those 3 girls are on MTV...Sugarbabes?...LURVE the song.... see...I'm so irrelevant we can only laugh!)

;) Alice x

20. alicem

alicem New Member

P.S

don't know where to post this and hate starting new threads (or should I?)...but my Dr measured my bmp and blood pressure on Monday.....It wasn't at resting level as was late to my appointment so was rushing there in an unusual 24 celcius British sun yet my bpm was 58 as soon as I walked in the door.....good for fitness or bad in case I could get fat? Help, what does this mean?!!!

A xxxx