Let's settle this once and for all; Wearing pro-team jerseys :)

Originally posted by alicem
Classic post Maker!

I was woken (at 03.00am GMT ) by some twit wanting to get into another flat in my building and buzzing my door...argh...I could have ripped his head off!....hence me seeing your message when I couldn't sleep again so went online.

You made me lMFAO. It's true, who the f cares...I just sort of sneer but won't run a false m.jaune/p.dot etc jersey down! I would just be happy they were out there on the road!!!

I hate arguing if you hadn't guessed already but the 'latern rouge' in me as described by a friend who I have met through this forum ages ago is very articulate and true!' I should be a Flamenco dancing Romany not a 'British Rose! That would make sense!

You take care

Alice ***

(ouch those 3 girls are on MTV...Sugarbabes?...LURVE the song.... see...I'm so irrelevant we can only laugh!)

;) Alice x

Yeah baby Just ride/race, all else is distraction. Sneering is ok, if thats your thing, even just to be confusing to others. The next time you see the same garb, smile the Mikey smile, and watch the perplexed look get more contorted, it is fun. But then I have a strange sense of humor. what's IMFAO? Educate me, please. :D

P.S

don't know where to post this and hate starting new threads (or should I?)...but my Dr measured my bmp and blood pressure on Monday.....It wasn't at resting level as was late to my appointment so was rushing there in an unusual 24 celcius British sun yet my bpm was 58 as soon as I walked in the door.....good for fitness or bad in case I could get fat? Help, what does this mean?!!!

A xxxx
Perhaps just a blooming British Rose :D

Originally posted by pace-line
Perhaps just a blooming British Rose :D

Darn

I was trying to reply earlier on and thankfully fell asleep on the sofa (not because I was bored with the post, just totally wiped out) after no sleep last night yet woke up an hour ago with a dreadful asthma attack. Am wiped out now it has subsided. At one point I thought I was going to have to call NHS Direct(....not 999/911) for advice as it was so bad. I think I should try and go to bed and will hopefully bounce back (sorry folks! LOL) tomorrow when I can hopefully be my irreverant self again. ~Heap on the pity~ (sticking bottom lip out as only my niece as a baby knows how to do!!!!)

Night night amores

Alice x

Oh;

LOL=Laughing out loud
LMAO= laughing my f**ing ar*e off or 'ass'....(I prefer our version)
ROFLMAO= the above but rolling on the floor...hummmmmm ~ no comment ~ ?!!
BTW= By The Way
FYI=For your information.....

can't think of anymore of the top of this brain dead head but there are more.

Ciao tutti

Darn

I was trying to reply earlier on and thankfully fell asleep on the sofa (not because I was bored with the post, just totally wiped out) after no sleep last night yet woke up an hour ago with a dreadful asthma attack. Am wiped out now it has subsided. At one point I thought I was going to have to call NHS Direct(....not 999/911) for advice as it was so bad. I think I should try and go to bed and will hopefully bounce back (sorry folks! LOL) tomorrow when I can hopefully be my irreverant self again. ~Heap on the pity~ (sticking bottom lip out as only my niece as a baby knows how to do!!!!)

Night night amores

Alice x

Oh;

LOL=Laughing out loud
LMAO= laughing my f**ing ar*e off or 'ass'....(I prefer our version)
ROFLMAO= the above but rolling on the floor...hummmmmm ~ no comment ~ ?!!
BTW= By The Way
FYI=For your information.....

can't think of anymore of the top of this brain dead head but there are more.

Ciao tutti

Have you ever had an attack, while riding? Can stress, say, sleep deprivation :eek: trigger that? Thanks for the clarification. The others I knew, but it's been a long time since having seen that one, LOL. In my earlier responses you might have thought I was bored by the post, but it's either narcolepsy (excuse the likely hacked spelling of the medical diagnosis - not in Websters) or an aggressive training/racing schedule. Well, it's time trail day, gotta jet.
Later BR
:D

OK, so recapping:

The highest level of jersey purism eschews any jersey that is now or ever was or even is the same color as a pro team jersey, race leader/points/climber/intergiro/meta volante jersey from any stage race, rainbow-adorned (vertical or horizontal or on the trim), or has any advertising other than the maker of the clothing. These people will only wear clothing that they have either earned through sponsorship or club membership, or purchased at a ride they've actually completed or clothes with no advertising and not predominantly yellow/green/spotted/blue/gold/cyclamin/white/purple (I think gray is OK, someone please check this for me).

Then the middle ground includes riders who will wear clothing that may have some advertising and look sort of like a racer jersey but make sure that no one will actually think it's some team's jersey such as Eddy Merckx, Litespeed, or Jamba Juice branded clothing. These people clearly don't want to upset any of the purists by dressing like the posers but do want to impress their friends and give the impression that they could race if they wanted to. Maybe they also have a yellow jersey that they wear occaisionally but are careful not to have it on during July and whenever they do wear it they have a good excuse ready when someone occuses them of trying to look like Lance. They also might even have an obscure Division 3 team jersey that probably no one else would recognize but there would have to be a good story like someone they met in Andorra wanted to trade jerseys with them as a gesture of friendship.

Then there's the retro set who will wear the classic jerseys of yesteryear, maybe for teams that no longer exist like Brooklyn or Del Tongo because it shows that they know a hell of a lot more about the history of cycling than most folks ever will and maybe someone will actually think they used to race or maybe someone will start up a conversation about the olden days. These guys (all retro guys are male) usually are reasonably fit and can sort of walk the walk but don't feel like they have to prove it to a bunch of Fred newbs who should have more respect. Usually though, they wear wool with perhaps one or two stripes on the chest.

And finally we have the posers who show no compunction at all about having a complete Super Mario world champion zebra striped kit with matching bike and helmet, or full USPS TdF yellow jersey and Trek Madone with DA10 that they had to wait months for. These folks honestly don't even know that the other categories of jersey purism even exist and believe that everyone else on the multi-use path admires them for having such *****in cycling clothes.

Originally posted by DiabloScott
OK, so recapping:

The highest level of jersey purism eschews any jersey that is now or ever was or even is the same color as a pro team jersey, race leader/points/climber/intergiro/meta volante jersey from any stage race, rainbow-adorned (vertical or horizontal or on the trim), or has any advertising other than the maker of the clothing. These people will only wear clothing that they have either earned through sponsorship or club membership, or purchased at a ride they've actually completed or clothes with no advertising and not predominantly yellow/green/spotted/blue/gold/cyclamin/white/purple (I think gray is OK, someone please check this for me).

Then the middle ground includes riders who will wear clothing that may have some advertising and look sort of like a racer jersey but make sure that no one will actually think it's some team's jersey such as Eddy Merckx, Litespeed, or Jamba Juice branded clothing. These people clearly don't want to upset any of the purists by dressing like the posers but do want to impress their friends and give the impression that they could race if they wanted to. Maybe they also have a yellow jersey that they wear occaisionally but are careful not to have it on during July and whenever they do wear it they have a good excuse ready when someone occuses them of trying to look like Lance. They also might even have an obscure Division 3 team jersey that probably no one else would recognize but there would have to be a good story like someone they met in Andorra wanted to trade jerseys with them as a gesture of friendship.

Then there's the retro set who will wear the classic jerseys of yesteryear, maybe for teams that no longer exist like Brooklyn or Del Tongo because it shows that they know a hell of a lot more about the history of cycling than most folks ever will and maybe someone will actually think they used to race or maybe someone will start up a conversation about the olden days. These guys (all retro guys are male) usually are reasonably fit and can sort of walk the walk but don't feel like they have to prove it to a bunch of Fred newbs who should have more respect. Usually though, they wear wool with perhaps one or two stripes on the chest.

And finally we have the posers who show no compunction at all about having a complete Super Mario world champion zebra striped kit with matching bike and helmet, or full USPS TdF yellow jersey and Trek Madone with DA10 that they had to wait months for. These folks honestly don't even know that the other categories of jersey purism even exist and believe that everyone else on the multi-use path admires them for having such *****in cycling clothes.

Lucifer Scott rings the bell on this puppy. I get the feeling that plain colored jersey's seem boring to you. Does the advocate for naughtiness have opinion on the topic, or like me, has none, just an interest in discussion and observation? Interesting post, and well thought out. Seems a complex topic, opinions compiled. Live LARGE, color outside the lines :D . Never break the rules, just ignore them at every oppurtunity ;) When they are perplexed, light em up and leave them gasping for your draft:(

I love wearing team kit, including bib shorts. They are more comfortable than non bib shorts and at my LBS the team kit is actually cheaper than the black, not that price really is the major issue. I have a fdjeux kit with jersey, short and long, bib shorts and gloves that i've acquired over 6 months, some as gifts, others as purchases. I see it very much like football stuff - fdjeux is the australian dominated team with McGee and Cooke etc, so it is as close as you can get to wearing the national team colours. In melbourne I would say well over 50% of the riders I see out every morning are in team kit, a lot in both shorts and jerseys, some just in jerseys. I also feel a little uncomfortable with the idea of wearing the yellow or green jersey etc - to me it seems a bit like wearing a replica premiership medallion or superbowl ring - it should be reserved for the champion.

Another thought reflecting some other posts - don't you think the teams make the outfits coulourful in order to sell the replica stuff? The teams want you to buy up!!!

I wouldn't at the end of the day really care too much what others thought, wear what makes you feel good, if team kit is it, wear it, if not, wear plain, but please don't be so arrogant as to impose your judgments on others.

Originally posted by pace-line
Yeah baby Just ride/race, all else is distraction. Sneering is ok, if thats your thing, even just to be confusing to others. The next time you see the same garb, smile the Mikey smile, and watch the perplexed look get more contorted, it is fun. But then I have a strange sense of humor. what's IMFAO? Educate me, please. :D

Noooo, if I sneer I do it very politley. It has been known for me to be subtle at times :D E.g looking behind to make sure a shop door doesn't slam into any following persons face and then get caught holding it open for ages and ages....they just walk through as if I was a hotel doorman to which I give a sweet sounding 'thank you' and a Micky B grin.

If one 'sneers' it has to be done with a smile.

;)

Originally posted by HoundMann
Oh!!! How sexist - flu/cold!!!!
Shopping spree great thanks! What kind of ride you got out of interest?

Ha ha, yep, I only follow feminist believes when and if they suit me!!!!

Originally posted by DiabloScott
OK, so recapping:

Diablo,

I'm part of the retro set - woollen jersey and all.
Walk the walk ??
I can't say that I'm a good cyclist though.
Just finished a training weekend - two sessions 150km each.
Both sets finished within 6 hours.
Not bad for a 38 year old - training for the Etape, ya' see.

Lim - any "real" retro guy would scoff at the idea a 38yr old could be truly retro, woolen jersey or not. I accuse you of being a retro-poser! "Walk the walk" is a shortened version of the expression "he can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?".

Have a super time on l'Etape. Those Irish Alps should be great training!

Agree, NEVER wear the whole kit. I have 2 pro team jerseys that I love but almost never wear, because I have to admit I feel a bit dorky in them. If you are fast and can hang with the group rides, you can wear whatever you want. If you're a novice it's probably best to only wear them when you're riding alone, because otherwise nobody in the group will talk to you. Which may be fine. That's the thing about being a dork, it's usually a label others put on you. If you feel good, wear whatever you want.

Of course, the coolest thing to wear is a local club/team jersey. I don't think anybody would argue with me on that. So join a club and get some cool, custom gear.

For me, I don't think I could ever wear anything else other than a simple jersey or the jersey of my club that I ride for because if I ever get a professional jersey (unlikely), I want to know that I earned it, not just cause I bought it at some vendor. It's a question of pride for me and I want to be proud to be apart of and to wear the jersey of a professional team or a local bike club either way.

Thomas Davis

I was at a Challenge ride last Sunday, and there were team jerseys abounding. The most up to date was USPS - Berry Floor and the rider was mid-twenties. But there were the golden oldies in Domo-Farm Frites, iBanesto Cafe de Columbia, Kelme, Mercatone Uno, Linda McCartney, ONCE They were everywhere.

Originally posted by jtfleming
(although I was on the cyclic rate of fire team).

:p LOL!

I ride a Trek, not an Airborne, but I was Airborne (Infantry)!

I have only a few jerseys, a couple of them pro. I'm not affiliated with any teams in any way. I ride a lot, but let's say, fast recreational riding. I take challenges and reel riders in every once in a while. But it's not in an organized race, and I don't suffer from delusions of grandeur. Many of those riders I suspect could go much faster if they felt like it.

If I left my pro jerseys in the closet simply because I was observing some rule that pros follow or amateur racers follow, I would feel like I was basically a wooss. Simply changing my perspective gives me a couple more jerseys to wear without having to buy any more. That sounds like a helluva good deal to me.

Having just read through this entire thread with interest, there is one point that seems not to have been mentioned...

One of the reasons I thought 'serious' cyclists laughed at people in full team kit was because replica team kit tends to be over-priced and often poor quality. Not that anyone I know takes the matter that seriously. Several people in the club I ride with wear pro team colours, and there is the occasional jokey remark but nothing serious.

My own attitude is wear what you like - for me, comfort/practicality is the first factor in choosing what to wear for cycling, but if it looks good too, that's a bonus.

Personally, I don't wear team colours because I have no particular affiliation with any pro team.

That said, one jersey I always wanted but never actually bought was the Z Vetements jersey, as worn by Greg Lemond - and that was simply because I thought it was a cool design. (If anyone knows where I can get one for retro chic, please let me know)

There are several other 'classic' team jerseys I would buy - again for no other reason than that I think they look good. The black & white check Peugeot jersey would be top of my shopping list.

The only jerseys I would avoid are the yellow/pink/green/pola dot, etc. because I do think you have to earn the right to wear them - it's part of what the sport is all about.

However, I would happily wear a jersey that was yellow (good practical colour for cycling, as someone already pointed out), as long as it didn't look too much like it was pretending to be a "Maillot Jaune".

I usually wear my club jersey with non team bib shorts and plain gloves when out riding. I choose to wear my short sleeve Mapei jersey when it's too warm because i haven't gotten around to buying a short sleeve club one yet.

As for people wearing team jerseys and shorts then fine as long as they don't go the whole hog and ride team bikes while wearing matching cap, overshoes, jacket, helmet and drink from a colour coded water bottle. i think it's a tad overstated for my liking. Just my two farthings worth :)

i wouldn't wear one, but not because of fear that i'm being pretentious, or even a poseur.

i just don't care to wear company logos of any kind on my body, other than the actual maker of the shirt. even then, i prefer it to be minimal.