Let's settle this once and for all; Wearing pro-team jerseys :)

Goosebeak said:
You know what? Wearing pro-team jerseys as an amateur is like buying a Fiat Uno and painting it Ferrari red and sticking the prancing horse logo all over. It just helps to demonstrate to other people how much of a ****** you really are...

:)

Actually, I think its more akin to going to a soccer game as a fan and wearing an Arsenal Jersey, but only because as cyclists, we can already ride the same bikes that our heroes of the tour are on... The Ferrari's of the cycling world...

Also, even though I'm a "fred" on a bike (well maybe more like a "super-fred" :) ) If I was next to Lance on a bike, he would smoke me like nobody's business! but not as bad as I would smoke him if I were in a Ferrari and he was in a Fiat Uno! :)

But I do see the argument you're putting forth... It does make sense on many levels...

Have a good one!

Feanor

Goosebeak said:
You know what? Wearing pro-team jerseys as an amateur is like buying a Fiat Uno and painting it Ferrari red and sticking the prancing horse logo all over. It just helps to demonstrate to other people how much of a ****** you really are...

Now, you can't tell me you don't think those little VW bugs with the phony Rolls hood aren't cute.

As I stated way back when : as regards team jerseys the only ones I wear are the retro ones : Peugeot-Shell-Michelin checkerboard, Bianchi, Banesto
early 1990's jersey.

Other than that I would wear a plain coloured cycling jersey.
I wouldn't buy anything to do with Nike for personal reasons.

Have you seen the majority of women`s jerseys? Yeah...if you dont go with the pro ones you look like a muffin out there...Doesnt help I live in a completely male dominated society where the womens selection of ANY sporting goods sucks monkey balls.

Thank you for dealing with my venom...I had a little `talk` with the LBS today about the 4 womens jerseys that were all pastel blue with COLLARS. In broken Japanese I asked if he would ever wear it...concensus.
New shipment in September. Justice, yes.

e

No offense to you for posting this thread, but why waste a thought on anyone who thinks your posing or who thinks you shouldn't wear whatever you want.

To anyone out there who shares the same thoughts as this persons friend....GET A LIFE!

Feanor said:
Never in a hundred years would I have guessed that my original topic would generate this much discussion, but I am glad it did :)

Its good to see so many sides to a discussion, and that's what it is when all is said and done.

I still wear the Postal Jersey when I ride alone. I rarely ride in a group, but the several times I have since the original post I wear standard cycling jerseys; colorful but with no adverts, this even though the men and women I ride with said they had no problem with it at all... period...

One guy in the group said, he would wear a vibrator strapped to the top of his helmet with a little cowboy hat on it if it made him feel better about riding :) and it dawned on me that feeling good about riding and riding to feel good were all that really mattered.

If there is no harm done, and someone calls you out because they feel "insulted" or because they think you look "funny" then they're the source and cause of harm, not you in your Jersey...

Have a good one all!

Feanor

Can this whole argument be nothing more than a simple cultural difference that separates us from each other?

In America, it is not unusual to see someone wearing a jersey from their favorite sports team (baseball, basketball, football, ice hockey) with their favorite player's name blazoned across the back.

Do Brits wear Manchester United jerseys with a player's name? (Manchester United is the only Brit team that I know.)

Do New Zealanders wear the All Black's jersey?

Do the South Africans wear their favorite Cricket team jersey? (What other sports do they play down there?)

Could it be that what's "cool" for one nationality is considered "nerdy" for another?

"...cultural difference..."

No, I just think that with any large group of people with similiar interests, some of them think they have the rules on how people should dress, or what they should say...you know what I mean.

In golf if you wear a cheap golf shirt and carry knock-off clubs you suck (when you could probably beat half the people using Callaway...I'd bet on that!).

Never been to a tennis club but I'd think that would have its interesting characters.

P.S. One snobby biker to another: "can you believe Jim is wearing a USPS jersey, I mean who does he think he is, LA (that's short for you know who, it's code for us roadies)! Let's make sure we keep him behind us in the peloton. Why doesn't he just forget trying to be a roadie and stick with the triathalon trash...geesh now my cadence is off...I'm going to talk to my coach on Monday about shaving my body hair so I can take a minute of my centure time".

Sorry, but after cruising these threads for interesting information, I've noticed some funny things...all in fun though!

Who cares! Good for you not letting the road princesses get to you. I have a batman t-shirt my wife gave me, I don't think I'll be saving the planet any time soon! Cool shirt, cooler character. Yet another reason to love roadies.

If roadies want to talk about the absurdity of cycling fashion, then why don't all of them wear a helmet? I see the guys on their $5,000 Carbon bikes, $300 worth of clothing, and NO HELMET. Now THAT, is stupid cycling fashion.

Where did you get your Marine Corps Jersey? I've been looking for one. Thanks.

jtfleming said:
As long as you don't give me one of those snooty looks when you see me, and you wave, I couldn't care less what you are wearing. I wear an official Marine Corps jersey, and I was never on the cycling team (although I was on the cyclic rate of fire team).

ryanrtxtx said:
Where did you get your Marine Corps Jersey? I've been looking for one. Thanks.

Actually, that's something I was wondering about too... Where's the best place to find the widest range of neat jerseys? Incidently, on a local century here in the Ozarks, I rode near someone with colorful SpongeBob Squarepants jersey while wore an obnoxiously bright Salsa Bikes jersey... we both got positive comments!

DR

I've got no issue with people wearing pro jerseys. I've seen some damn fat couch potatoes wearing Adidas, Nike etc down to the shops and it's not like they're doing exercise at all. Ironically, "sportswear" is the new leisurewear for our most overweight, obese and unfit!

So anyone who rides should feel fine with wearing a pro jersey. I do draw the line at prize jerseys - I've seen green, yellow and polka dot replica jerseys for sale. A) They probably shouldn't sell them B) No-one should be allowed to wear these but the men and women who actually earn them. That's just my view. Wearing team kit can be a homage to your favourite riders and heroes. Prize jerseys are a bridge too far - it's a form of sacrilege.

Bottom line - If you're wearing a jersey, that means you're on the bike.

And THAT is a good thing.

wearing a jersey that makes you want to be out on your bike, or feel good about being on your bike, or has a positive effect on your performance when you are on your bike (by keeping you warm or cool or just going faster because its red) is the jersey you should be wearing... no matter if its plain coloured or emblazoned with sponsors and worn by the best of the best.

i do draw the line at prize jerseys though... if you havent won it, then its not really yours to wear!
im a bit uncertain about obese middle aged guys in pro team jerseys riding an expensive and **very clean** downhill bike crusingly along a road with no helmet and a mobile phone attached either side of the hip...

i havent worn any team jerseys, but thats only because i havent found any that i like, and most of the retro pro team jerseys dont come in my size!
on the other hand i do wear primal jerseys, and the cookie monster jersey from pearl izumi... some people give me grief for being 'such a dag' (or more erroneously, F*g) but these people arent cyclists. most of the cyclists that comment on my loud jerseys are impressed that i have found something so blatantly visible and different.

if it makes you feel good, then wear it!! who cares what others say!!

I ride out with an assortment of people who wear jerseys of all types including team ones - at no point has anyone ever said anything derogatory about them. In fact more often than not people compliment each other on good shirts. There may be the odd joke about them but it's never nasty or meant to be a put-down. Mind you, no-one's worn a yellow or pink one yet!

I guess people buy them because they look good - I'd much rather have a shirt that I thought looked good than one that I thought was a bit plain. The 2006 Illes Balleras kit is great - it's just a shame Valverde has gone out of the TdF...

I keep all my bikes clean by the way - I hope they last longer that way, they certainly look nicer. To date no-one has joked about that even though I'm middle aged and take my mobile with me (OK, I'm not overweight and the mobile is in my jersey pocket but even if that weren't the case, I'm still out on a bike enjoying myself so please don't knock it)

Wow this subject is pretty old and still going strong. Anyway, I wear Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balaers and Team Discovery jerseys often. Not only when I'm on the bike but I have additional looser versions of each two that I can wear as regular tops in the winter. I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing the pro team's jerseys look at all the other sports out there. American football for instance those jerseys aren't even fitted to people that's why they look so out of place as they're made to be put over large amounts of padded protection. Looks stupid to me more so than any other sport jerseys but who cares? It's what their fans love and that's all there is to it. Just the same with us cycling fanatics, we wear what we love. It's also fun to collect them. ;)

i intend have two pro team jersys, but i have no clue really who they are since i just started riding my bicycle again. i want to buy more jerseys to fit my riding frequence and laundry infrequence. LOL i'm even contemplating getting that tour de france polka dot jersey. i think it's kewl. don't care what others say. maybe they can afford it so they don't wear the nice stuff? (usual observation for me).

feanor, you always seem to generate long threads. i guess it's not just barf after all. LOL :D

im all for wearing pro team jerseys. my first one was a 2005 fdj jersey based on it was white and blue (same colour as the bike) and it looked good.

some i would not wear because they have really bad colour schemes.

There is nothing wrong with wearing a pro jersey. Thats how all these big sports companies make money by selling them to people who like a certain sport. I like to wear a football shirt once in a while when I play footie with my mates. Doesn't mean I'm a pro, and people dont look at it that way. Cycling may be slightly different in that not as many people are used to cycling and if they see someone in cycling gear, whether it cost the £10 or £1,000 they will automatically think they are a seasoned cyclist because they have the gear on. So I can see why people may comment on people like us. Any way when I on the odd occasion stick on all my full cycling kit I feel more the part and get right into the cycle and thats what matters most, getting the best and enjoying your cycle.

I don't wear them b/ they are so expensive and I have jerseys that are a few years old that I still wear. Plus I'm on a team so I wear the team jersey.I did by an EE jersey that I wear because its so bright; hopefully making me more obvious to drivers. All my team jerseys are yellow/blue. I've been hit by a car and had too many close calls that I really don't want to get hit again (hopefully minimize my chance of that).