Letter in my local paper about sidewalk cycling

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Trudi Marrapodi, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Well, I got a letter published last summer about the people who don't know how to ride, and here's
    another from someone else:

    http://www.pressconnects.com/today/opinion/stories/op072803s18789.shtml

    This guy reserves his wrath for the sidewalk cyclists. I was glad to finally see someone else speak
    up against them. Of course, it's not just the sidewalk riders that bug me--it's all the Wrong-Way
    Corrigans, the guys who insist on riding at night with no lights, the guys who ride with headphones
    on blasting music so they're oblivious to the world, the guys who run red lights, the guys who
    don't signal, the guys who weave from sidewalk to road as the spirit moves them (often to avoid
    waiting at the lights with the traffic), the kids who ride five abreast on the wrong side of the
    road, etc. Oh, and yes I did recently see a guy cycling while on the phone. LOL, at least he didn't
    have a radio to adjust.

    What do you guys think? Would licensing cyclists mean that at least we'd know that all of them had
    passed a test proving they knew how and where to use a bike? I'm starting to wonder.

    Of course, one thing the writer neglects to mention is that the other half of the equation
    contributing to cyclists sticking to the road is to have motorists acknowledge that the road--not
    the sidewalk--is indeed where bicycles belong.

    I also predict that this is going to spark at least one letter from some angry parent saying that
    he'd sooner die than let his precious children ride in the street. Well, I don't mind so much if the
    really little ones stick to the sidewalks. They don't usually go far anyway, and their judgment
    skills, not to mention their angle of vision, is not such that they could cope with traffic (it's
    tough enough for adults). And unless they've got a huge pennant boinging from the back, their
    visibility to vehicles is dangerously low. OK, OK. Keep the kiddies on the walks, at least in
    high-traffic areas. But when you do, don't forget to teach them that when they're big enough, it
    will be time to graduate to the street. And in the meantime, don't run over the pedestrians. Some of
    us like the way we look without tire tracks. Oh, and teach them to be VERY careful around those
    driveways.
    --
    Trudi "For you folks at home, this might be a good time to go get a sandwich." -- Joel, Mystery
    Science Theater 3000

    Tags:

  2. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Fritz M <[email protected]+> wrote:

    > [email protected] (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.pressconnects.com/today/opinion/stories/op072803s18789.shtml
    >
    > Got a 404 on that. Otherwise, good comments about sidewalk riding.

    Maybe it had expired already. Poo.