Letter to Bicycling

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Apr 10, 2004.

  1. Claire Petersky wrote:

    > You guys must have had your oxygen supply cut off when you came up with
    > this repulsive crap. Show us real women for your style section, women
    > with muscles, women with scars on their knees and elbows, women who are
    > fit, strong, and kick-ass, and don't have to have surgery to look like
    > women.

    Ooh, yeah, please do!
    Do the majority of men really go for this kind of crap?

    Not turned on by helpless plastic people,

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null
    word. -- Robert Heinlein

  2. "Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Claire Petersky wrote:
    >
    > > You guys must have had your oxygen supply cut off when you came up with
    > > this repulsive crap. Show us real women for your style section, women
    > > with muscles, women with scars on their knees and elbows, women who are
    > > fit, strong, and kick-ass, and don't have to have surgery to look like
    > > women.

    > Ooh, yeah, please do!
    > Do the majority of men really go for this kind of crap?
    >
    > Not turned on by helpless plastic people,
    >
    > --
    > Benjamin Lewis

    Phew....now I can cancel that boob job and botox!

  3. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Marlene Blanshay wrote:
    > "Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    >> Not turned on by helpless plastic people,
    >>

    > Phew....now I can cancel that boob job and botox!

    Isn't that a little rash? :)

    Bill "and I don't mean an injection reaction" S.

  4. Calm down..

    Sure, it's stupid. But it's the media.. surely you didnt' think cycling
    magazines were 'above' the standard of picturing women (or men) as complete
    slaves to fashion over function. You must have quite the collection of these
    letters to all sorts of magazines, websites, print media, news media, radio,
    billboard companies, etc..

    I also don't think it has anything to do with "warped sexuality" of whoever
    you are directing those comments to... and it also comes off as a little
    absurd that you're pretending to know about the sexuality or psychology of
    these people you don't even know, and trying to comment that it maybe
    "warped" because it doesn't conform to your standard... but whatever.. I
    know you're just using strong words to make your point.

    Anyways.. peace

    Mike
    http://mikebeauchamp.com

    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune

    of
    > stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?
    >
    > This woman looks like someone hit her hard in both eyes, she's got so much
    > make-up on around them. She's wearing the most idiotic shoes -- who in

    their
    > right mind would ever ever EVER where heels like that?! Or maybe that's

    the
    > idea -- you want to show a female that looks like she's been physically
    > abused, and wearing crippling footgear so she can't run away. Says

    something
    > about your warped sexuality.
    >
    > And who would ever wear any of those clothes in public, much less on a

    bike?
    > "Uncomfortable" doesn't even begin describe how wretched they appear to be
    > on the body, but "ugly" might help.
    >
    > And you know what, guys? I have wild curly hair like that myself, and I
    > know, you've got to braid it to keep it under control for a long ride or

    it
    > will be a tangled mess after 50 or so miles.
    >
    > You guys must have had your oxygen supply cut off when you came up with

    this
    > repulsive crap. Show us real women for your style section, women with
    > muscles, women with scars on their knees and elbows, women who are fit,
    > strong, and kick-ass, and don't have to have surgery to look like women.
    >
    > Feh.
    >
    > Warm Regards,
    >
    > Claire Petersky
    > Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
    > Home of the meditative cyclist:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    > See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  5. Frank Knox

    Frank Knox Guest

    "Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Calm down..
    >
    > Sure, it's stupid. But it's the media.. surely you didnt' think cycling
    > magazines were 'above' the standard of picturing women (or men) as

    complete
    > slaves to fashion over function. You must have quite the collection of

    these
    > letters to all sorts of magazines, websites, print media, news media,

    radio,
    > billboard companies, etc..
    >
    > I also don't think it has anything to do with "warped sexuality" of

    whoever
    > you are directing those comments to... and it also comes off as a little
    > absurd that you're pretending to know about the sexuality or psychology of
    > these people you don't even know, and trying to comment that it maybe
    > "warped" because it doesn't conform to your standard... but whatever.. I
    > know you're just using strong words to make your point.
    >
    > Anyways.. peace
    >
    > Mike
    > http://mikebeauchamp.com
    >

    > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]_s03...
    > > I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune

    > of
    > > stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?
    > >
    > > This woman looks like someone hit her hard in both eyes, she's got so

    much
    > > make-up on around them. She's wearing the most idiotic shoes -- who in

    > their
    > > right mind would ever ever EVER where heels like that?! Or maybe that's

    > the
    > > idea -- you want to show a female that looks like she's been physically
    > > abused, and wearing crippling footgear so she can't run away. Says

    > something
    > > about your warped sexuality.
    > >
    > > And who would ever wear any of those clothes in public, much less on a

    > bike?
    > > "Uncomfortable" doesn't even begin describe how wretched they appear to

    be
    > > on the body, but "ugly" might help.
    > >
    > > And you know what, guys? I have wild curly hair like that myself, and I
    > > know, you've got to braid it to keep it under control for a long ride or

    > it
    > > will be a tangled mess after 50 or so miles.
    > >
    > > You guys must have had your oxygen supply cut off when you came up with

    > this
    > > repulsive crap. Show us real women for your style section, women with
    > > muscles, women with scars on their knees and elbows, women who are fit,
    > > strong, and kick-ass, and don't have to have surgery to look like women.
    > >
    > > Feh.
    > >
    > > Warm Regards,
    > >
    > > Claire Petersky
    > > Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
    > > Home of the meditative cyclist:
    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    > > See the books I've set free at:

    I think the point is that they are frequently shallow and Off Topic.

  6. >> I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

    > It comes at no charge, courtesy of the rapidly deteriorating
    > League of American Bicyclists.

    I was wondering why I've been receiving it! I thought one of my
    relatives got it for me as a gift...

  7. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:50:39 -0400,
    <[email protected]>, "Marlene Blanshay"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Claire Petersky wrote:
    >>
    >> > You guys must have had your oxygen supply cut off when you came up with
    >> > this repulsive crap. Show us real women for your style section, women
    >> > with muscles, women with scars on their knees and elbows, women who are
    >> > fit, strong, and kick-ass, and don't have to have surgery to look like
    >> > women.

    >> Ooh, yeah, please do!
    >> Do the majority of men really go for this kind of crap?
    >>
    >> Not turned on by helpless plastic people,
    >>

    >Phew....now I can cancel that boob job and botox!

    These days darling, if the boob job pays well - hang onto it!

    I browsed the article yesterday. I couldn't even tell you what the
    models looked like. First impressions were - skinny, goofy eyes, bad
    hair, clown paint. They looked like their feet were hurting in the
    shoes they were paid to wear.

    I was looking at the clothes, really. Those Sugoi shorts also come in
    blue and there's a matching jersey. I don't remember if she was
    wearing it.

    The rubber stuff all looked nicely done in a slick sort of style.

    Given Montreal's fashion standards, it's tame even. Where's it say the
    'little black dress' that every woman must have, can't be made from
    rubber?

    I've seen more intricate and detailed work done completely with knots.
    No glue, no thread. Because it's already formed, recycled inner tubes
    are not easy materials to work into clothing. I didn't find the $1200
    price tag outlandish for a piece of art you can wear.

    My sole complaint with Bicycling would be that the article is vaguely
    off topic because it wasn't all made of _bicycle_ inner tubes.
    --
    zk

  8. "Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Calm down..
    >
    > Sure, it's stupid. But it's the media.. surely you didnt' think cycling
    > magazines were 'above' the standard of picturing women (or men) as

    complete
    > slaves to fashion over function.

    Odd, I expect bicycling fashion to be in a bicycling magazine. It isn't
    Vogue.

    > I also don't think it has anything to do with "warped sexuality" of

    whoever
    > you are directing those comments to... and it also comes off as a little
    > absurd that you're pretending to know about the sexuality or psychology of
    > these people you don't even know, and trying to comment that it maybe
    > "warped" because it doesn't conform to your standard... but whatever.. I
    > know you're just using strong words to make your point.

    I am *frosted* at how the commercialized popular culture uses the image of
    brutalized women and sexualized violence, over and over, and over again. I
    have two girls, aged 9 and 11. Believe it or not, I don't want them to
    associate sex with women being emotionally and physcially violated, and yet
    this is what that commercialized popular culture puts out there in nearly
    every medium.

    Bicycling must figure that the demographic of the magazine (mostly men aged
    18 - 45?) like to see stick-like women with fake boobs with their eyes
    punched out. But it isn't something I want to see, especially in a magazine
    that is supposed to be about the joys of being out on your bike.

    They thought they were being "edgy" probably, by showing that model in
    stupid rubber clothes. Twitbrains. If they really wanted to be daring,
    they'd show someone who was fat.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  9. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    news:[email protected]_s51...

    > "Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Calm down..
    > >
    > > Sure, it's stupid. But it's the media.. surely you didnt' think cycling
    > > magazines were 'above' the standard of picturing women (or men) as

    > complete
    > > slaves to fashion over function.

    > Odd, I expect bicycling fashion to be in a bicycling magazine. It isn't
    > Vogue.
    >
    > > I also don't think it has anything to do with "warped sexuality" of

    > whoever
    > > you are directing those comments to... and it also comes off as a little
    > > absurd that you're pretending to know about the sexuality or psychology

    of
    > > these people you don't even know, and trying to comment that it maybe
    > > "warped" because it doesn't conform to your standard... but whatever.. I
    > > know you're just using strong words to make your point.

    > I am *frosted* at how the commercialized popular culture uses the image of
    > brutalized women and sexualized violence, over and over, and over again. I
    > have two girls, aged 9 and 11. Believe it or not, I don't want them to
    > associate sex with women being emotionally and physcially violated, and

    yet
    > this is what that commercialized popular culture puts out there in nearly
    > every medium.
    >
    > Bicycling must figure that the demographic of the magazine (mostly men

    aged
    > 18 - 45?) like to see stick-like women with fake boobs with their eyes
    > punched out. But it isn't something I want to see, especially in a

    magazine
    > that is supposed to be about the joys of being out on your bike.
    >
    > They thought they were being "edgy" probably, by showing that model in
    > stupid rubber clothes. Twitbrains. If they really wanted to be daring,
    > they'd show someone who was fat.

    Unfortunately, if we want to see somebody's who's fat, all we have to do is
    go outside. I think Bicycling's choice of models was totally appropriate,
    actually. They were showing high fashion, so they used stereotypical high
    fashion models. Can you imagine an average woman wearing the inner tube
    dress? I can't, because it's not designed for average women. Besides, I
    can't remember the last time Bicycling used a short bald male model in a
    layout. It's not reality....

  10. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:08:24 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune of
    >stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    I vaguely remember that their "Style" section is not serious, but
    rather is an intentional joke a la Fabrizio. I could be
    mis-remembering, though.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  11. "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:08:24 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I sat down to enjoy the latest issue of Bicycling and had the misfortune

    of
    > >stumbling into the "Style" section. What were you guys thinking?

    > I vaguely remember that their "Style" section is not serious, but
    > rather is an intentional joke a la Fabrizio.

    That would be my first preference. Then it's actually about bicycling and
    its subcultures.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  12. On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:08:24 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Show us real women for your style section, women with
    >muscles, women with scars on their knees and elbows, women who are fit,
    >strong, and kick-ass, and don't have to have surgery to look like women.

    Well, when Claire writes it, it stays wrote, don't it?

    Damn Skippy. Well said.

  13. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    =v= I finally saw this. This is a horrible pictorial,
    particularly in its depiction of women. It's not like
    _Bicycling_ hasn't been told to be a bit more realistic
    for, oh, say, the last 10 years or so:

    http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

    =v= I saw the outfits themselves last summer, at Bike Summer in
    New York City, but they were just sitting on racks. They seemed
    fun, but frivolous (as they were impossible to bike in while
    wearing). Using "beaten waif" models to show them off doesn't
    do them justics. :^(
    <_Jym_>

  14. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]_s04...
    > > "araby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:eek:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]_s03...

    > misfortune
    > > >
    > > > I didn't realise that cyclists still read Buy-cycling.

    > > It's among the magazines that my kids sell to support their youth
    > > organization, Camp Fire. I subscribed this year.
    > >

    > Campfire! Like the campfire girls? I seem to remember ads for the campfire
    > girls on tv when I was very young, but not anymore.I guess it's just
    > Campfire now, for boys and girls.
    >
    > As for the magazine, it's not Cyclesport but it'snot as bad as it used to
    > be. They actually have some good articles, like one on the website for
    > climbing workouts.

    I liked the articles Mike Magnuson writes, and it is sometimes nice to see
    the shiny new stuff. I'm not gonna buy it, but it's nice to look at....