Letter to moaning drivers.

Simon Mason wrote:
> Here was my response to a driver who wanted to march on London to
> protest at greedy oil companies:
>
> Hull Daily Mail 30 MAY 08
>
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/z30may08.jpg

I liked the Mail's response.

We don't see less cars due to higher fuel prices - I would think that
remains to be seen.

We should all consider alternatives to private transport - So hands up
all those who use public bikes ;o).

> Here was my response to a driver who wanted to march on London to protest
> at greedy oil companies:
>
> Hull Daily Mail 30 MAY 08
>
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/z30may08.jpg

a) Didn't need the bit about tax, which is becoming increasingly less
relevant as well. On a 117.5p litre, tax is now 17.5 + 50.35p = 67.85p, 58%.
On a 90p litre, it was 63.75p, 71%. That's a particularly generous lion.

b) Isn't accurate. Ok, the oil companies don't set the price - but they do
benefit when it is high. The profit they make on selling fuel is huge - when
taken across their entire operation, not just the retail sector.

Still the bits after that are ok.

cheers,
clive

Nick wrote:

>Simon Mason wrote:
>> Here was my response to a driver who wanted to march on London to
>> protest at greedy oil companies:
>>
>> Hull Daily Mail 30 MAY 08
>>
>> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/z30may08.jpg
>>

>I liked the Mail's response.
>
>We don't see less cars due to higher fuel prices - I would think that
>remains to be seen.

People are still haring about at high speeds too. I wonder if all
those driving up and down the motorways at 90mph (off peak obviously)
know they could nearly halve their fuel costs by adopting the "Eddie
Stobart" speed of 56mph.

"Nuxx Bar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
On May 31, 5:30 pm, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Here was my response to a driver who wanted to march on London to protest
> at
> greedy oil companies:
>
> Hull Daily Mail 30 MAY 08
>
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/z30may08.jpg

>>Couldn't you just have written "I hate cars"?

I don't think Simon does hate cars. The clue is in the title, he hates
moaning drivers. Now I'm not speaking for Simon, but I also hate moaning
drivers (I'm a non-moaning driver myself). If that makes you think that I
hate you, then if the cap fits...

Nuxx Bar wrote:
> On May 31, 5:30 pm, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Here was my response to a driver who wanted to march on London to
>> protest at greedy oil companies:
>>
>> Hull Daily Mail 30 MAY 08
>>
>> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/z30may08.jpg

> Couldn't you just have written "I hate cars"?

Why would he say that when he clearly doesn't? Do you even know what Simon
drives?

--

Nigel