Letter to the editor

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. In the paper this morning, a letter to the editor:

    ---
    Pedal Pushers: They don't suit everyone

    You're still publishing letters from dreamers. Taking bikes to work!
    ["Exercise between miles," Northwest Voices, March 24.] That might be fine
    for young men with their pants, low-heeled sturdy shoes, and hair easily
    combed. It's ridiculous for many women, especially those in high-profile
    offices. These people don't wear hiking boots to work and crunch their hair
    with a helmet.

    [snip]
    ---

    (Complete letter here:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002900658_frilets31.html)

    My reply:

    I broke up in laughter reading Martha Parker's letter to the editor this
    morning. She claimed that bicycling to work was impossible for women in high
    profile jobs with fluffy hair. Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her
    bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown
    high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair. It isn't that
    hard to be at your desk perfectly presentable. It just takes problem solving
    abilities, something required in managerial positions. Besides, riding to
    work much better than being stuck in traffic. Not everyone gets to have so
    much fun as I do on the commute. I feel sorry for them -- they don't know
    what they're missing.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

  2. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    Claire Petersky wrote:
    > In the paper this morning, a letter to the editor:
    >
    > ---

    ["commuting by bike is impossible for women"]
    > ---
    >
    > (Complete letter here:
    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002900658_frilets31.html)
    >
    > My reply:
    >
    > I broke up in laughter reading Martha Parker's letter to the editor this
    > morning. She claimed that bicycling to work was impossible for women in high
    > profile jobs with fluffy hair. Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her
    > bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown
    > high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair. It isn't that
    > hard to be at your desk perfectly presentable. It just takes problem solving
    > abilities, something required in managerial positions. Besides, riding to
    > work much better than being stuck in traffic. Not everyone gets to have so
    > much fun as I do on the commute. I feel sorry for them -- they don't know
    > what they're missing.

    Let us know if it gets published. Also, I would have mentioned that you
    don't pedal with your heels ;)

    \\paul

  3. landotter

    landotter Guest

    The Dutch manage to pull it off. They don't wear helmets, so no helmet
    hair. There's nothing hotter than a hottie on a bike. :-D

    If you're so Channel'ed and Aquanetted that cycling is bound to spoil
    your look, my sympathies to you.

  4. catzz66

    catzz66 Guest

    landotter wrote:
    > The Dutch manage to pull it off. They don't wear helmets, so no helmet
    > hair. There's nothing hotter than a hottie on a bike. :-D
    >
    > If you're so Channel'ed and Aquanetted that cycling is bound to spoil
    > your look, my sympathies to you.

    During Texas summers, it is impossible not to be truly hot, but I don't
    think that is exactly the way you mean it.

  5. Max Penn

    Max Penn Guest

    > In the paper this morning, a letter to the editor:
    >
    > ---
    > Pedal Pushers: They don't suit everyone
    >
    > You're still publishing letters from dreamers. Taking bikes to work!
    > ["Exercise between miles," Northwest Voices, March 24.] That might be fine
    > for young men with their pants, low-heeled sturdy shoes, and hair easily
    > combed. It's ridiculous for many women, especially those in high-profile
    > offices. These people don't wear hiking boots to work and crunch their

    hair
    > with a helmet.
    >
    > [snip]
    > ---
    >
    > (Complete letter here:
    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002900658_frilets31.html)
    >
    > My reply:
    >
    > I broke up in laughter reading Martha Parker's letter to the editor this
    > morning. She claimed that bicycling to work was impossible for women in

    high
    > profile jobs with fluffy hair. Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides

    her
    > bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown
    > high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair. It isn't

    that
    > hard to be at your desk perfectly presentable. It just takes problem

    solving
    > abilities, something required in managerial positions. Besides, riding to
    > work much better than being stuck in traffic. Not everyone gets to have so
    > much fun as I do on the commute. I feel sorry for them -- they don't know
    > what they're missing.
    >
    > --
    > Warm Regards,
    >
    > Claire Petersky
    > http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    > See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

    That is a letter the editor will not have to edit. Good grammar and syntax,
    not bogged down with lots of unnecessary detail. Your point is well
    summarized in a way the average reader can understand.

    Max

  6. recycled-one

    recycled-one Guest

    > (Complete letter here:
    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002900658_frilets31.html)
    >
    > My reply:
    >
    > I broke up in laughter reading Martha Parker's letter to the editor this
    > morning. She claimed that bicycling to work was impossible for women in
    > high profile jobs with fluffy hair. Well, this middle-aged suburbanite
    > rides her bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a
    > downtown high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair. It
    > isn't that hard to be at your desk perfectly presentable. It just takes
    > problem solving abilities, something required in managerial positions.

    I think the letter highlights the difference between reasons and excuses.
    If someone really does not want to ride then there will always be a reason
    to use as an excuse. If they really want to ride then there is always a way.

    They are making excuses to not ride. We find reasons to ride.

  7. Veloise

    Veloise Guest

    Claire Petersky wrote:
    > In the paper this morning, a letter to the editor:
    >
    > ---
    > Pedal Pushers: They don't suit everyone
    >
    > You're still publishing letters from dreamers. Taking bikes to work!
    > ["Exercise between miles," Northwest Voices, March 24.] That might be fine
    > for young men with their pants, low-heeled sturdy shoes, and hair easily
    > combed. It's ridiculous for many women, especially those in high-profile
    > offices. These people don't wear hiking boots to work and crunch their hair
    > with a helmet.
    >
    > [snip]
    > ---
    >
    > (Complete letter here:
    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002900658_frilets31.html)

    What a crackpot. Increased urban density obviates the need for cars and
    the ensuing traffic jams. (This is why they don't let civilians run the
    BZA.)

    > My reply:
    >
    > I broke up in laughter reading Martha Parker's letter to the editor this
    > morning. She claimed that bicycling to work was impossible for women in high
    > profile jobs with fluffy hair. Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her
    > bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown
    > high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair. It isn't that
    > hard to be at your desk perfectly presentable. It just takes problem solving
    > abilities, something required in managerial positions. Besides, riding to
    > work much better than being stuck in traffic. Not everyone gets to have so
    > much fun as I do on the commute. I feel sorry for them -- they don't know
    > what they're missing.

    Claire, what about your manicure?!?!?

    --Karen D.

  8. John Calnan

    John Calnan Guest

  9. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:40:38 -0500, "recycled-one"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I think the letter highlights the difference between reasons and excuses.
    >If someone really does not want to ride then there will always be a reason
    >to use as an excuse. If they really want to ride then there is always a way.
    >
    > They are making excuses to not ride. We find reasons to ride.

    There exists a gulf between the people with the spirit vs. the ones
    simply emulating the style.
    --
    zk

  10. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:23:22 -0500, Paul Hobson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Let us know if it gets published. Also, I would have mentioned that you
    >don't pedal with your heels ;)

    One lasting image from last July's pedal-powered wedding is seeing
    140 people dressed in their Sunday best and riding their bikes in the
    procession.
    Particularly the women wearing heeled pumps with ankle straps pushing
    pedals with toe-clips. It's semi erotic in a fetishistic sort of way.
    --
    zk

  11. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    Zoot Katz wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:23:22 -0500, Paul Hobson <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Let us know if it gets published. Also, I would have mentioned that you
    >>don't pedal with your heels ;)
    >>

    > One lasting image from last July's pedal-powered wedding is seeing
    > 140 people dressed in their Sunday best and riding their bikes in the
    > procession.
    > Particularly the women wearing heeled pumps with ankle straps pushing
    > pedals with toe-clips. It's semi erotic in a fetishistic sort of way.

    Zoot,
    You gotta find yourself a woman who like both bikes and beds.;<)
    Bill

  12. Claire Petersky wrote:
    > In the paper this morning, a letter to the editor:
    >
    > ---
    > Pedal Pushers: They don't suit everyone
    >
    > You're still publishing letters from dreamers. Taking bikes to work!
    > ["Exercise between miles," Northwest Voices, March 24.] That might be fine
    > for young men with their pants, low-heeled sturdy shoes, and hair easily
    > combed. It's ridiculous for many women, especially those in high-profile
    > offices. These people don't wear hiking boots to work and crunch their hair
    > with a helmet.
    >
    > [snip]
    > ---
    >
    > (Complete letter here:
    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002900658_frilets31.html)
    >
    > My reply:
    >
    > I broke up in laughter reading Martha Parker's letter to the editor this
    > morning. She claimed that bicycling to work was impossible for women in high
    > profile jobs with fluffy hair. Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her
    > bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown
    > high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair. It isn't that
    > hard to be at your desk perfectly presentable. It just takes problem solving
    > abilities, something required in managerial positions. Besides, riding to
    > work much better than being stuck in traffic. Not everyone gets to have so
    > much fun as I do on the commute. I feel sorry for them -- they don't know
    > what they're missing.
    >
    > --
    > Warm Regards,
    >
    > Claire Petersky

    These people are doing the impossible!

    http://www.domela.com/photos_people/projects_fietsen/web_preview_2006.pdf

    - Frank Krygowski

  13. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    John Calnan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Claire Petersky wrote:
    >> Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her
    >> bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown
    >> high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair.

    > Someone sent me this link this morning. I'm not sure if it's actually
    > Claire on the way to work, or not...
    >
    > http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=305317

    If Claire was willing to sacrifice a pair of heels, I could probably
    even set her up with SPD cleats. Heh.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    If the aborigine drafted an IQ test,

  14. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Dane Buson wrote:
    > John Calnan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Claire Petersky wrote:
    > >> Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her
    > >> bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown
    > >> high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair.

    > > Someone sent me this link this morning. I'm not sure if it's actually
    > > Claire on the way to work, or not...
    > >
    > > http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=305317

    > If Claire was willing to sacrifice a pair of heels, I could probably
    > even set her up with SPD cleats. Heh.

    If the sole was 3/4 of an inch thick or so, you could use a router and
    recess them. You'd probably want to peel the foot bed back, and rig up
    some kind of rigid back plate to screw them into. Wouldn't be that
    hard, and who doesn't want a set of spd compatible strappy 3" heels for
    spring. :-D

  15. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Dane Buson wrote:
    > John Calnan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Claire Petersky wrote:
    > >> Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her
    > >> bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown
    > >> high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair.

    > > Someone sent me this link this morning. I'm not sure if it's actually
    > > Claire on the way to work, or not...
    > >
    > > http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=305317

    > If Claire was willing to sacrifice a pair of heels, I could probably
    > even set her up with SPD cleats. Heh.

    If the sole was 3/4 of an inch thick or so, you could use a router and
    recess them. You'd probably want to peel the foot bed back, and rig up
    some kind of rigid back plate to screw them into. Wouldn't be that
    hard, and who doesn't want a set of spd compatible strappy 3" heels for
    spring. :-D

  16. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Dane Buson wrote:
    > John Calnan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Claire Petersky wrote:
    > >> Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her
    > >> bike every day to her suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown
    > >> high-rise, and is able to overcome the horrors of helmet hair.

    > > Someone sent me this link this morning. I'm not sure if it's actually
    > > Claire on the way to work, or not...
    > >
    > > http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=305317

    > If Claire was willing to sacrifice a pair of heels, I could probably
    > even set her up with SPD cleats. Heh.

    If the sole was 3/4 of an inch thick or so, you could use a router and
    recess them. You'd probably want to peel the foot bed back, and rig up
    some kind of rigid back plate to screw them into. Wouldn't be that
    hard, and who doesn't want a set of spd compatible strappy 3" heels for
    spring. :-D

  17. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    Well done that woman!

    Cheers, helen s

  18. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "John Calnan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Claire Petersky wrote:
    >> Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her bike every day to her
    >> suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown high-rise, and is able to
    >> overcome the horrors of helmet hair.

    > Someone sent me this link this morning. I'm not sure if it's actually
    > Claire on the way to work, or not...
    >
    > http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=305317

    If those shoes can take Look cleats, I want a pair ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  19. John Calnan

    John Calnan Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > If those shoes can take Look cleats, I want a pair ;-)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    I sense there may be a market for these. I may have to talk to Steve
    Madden about this...

    --
    John Calnan
    http://www.calnan-web.com/weblog

  20. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    John Calnan wrote:
    > Claire Petersky wrote:
    >> Well, this middle-aged suburbanite rides her bike every day to her
    >> suit-and-panty-hose finance job in a downtown high-rise, and is able
    >> to overcome the horrors of helmet hair.

    > Someone sent me this link this morning. I'm not sure if it's actually
    > Claire on the way to work, or not...
    >
    > http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=305317

    I have seen this several times around Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, MA. It's
    not that unusual to see women in suits and heels riding bikes. I doubt
    they're riding any distance, though.