lettuce and fiber

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by anonymous, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    Does lettuce contain a lot of fiber or is its reputed roughage something else? What else could it be

    Tags:

  2. Mouldy Mouse

    Mouldy Mouse Guest

    > Does lettuce contain a lot of fiber or is its reputed
    > roughage something else? What else could it be

    Nobody answered this one, so as the unofficial lettuce
    fiend I will...

    There's not much fibre in lettuce, only 1% by weight. It's
    just a big green low-calorie vitamin and mineral pill which
    is 96% water. Details are at:

    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/list_nut.pl

  3. Paulp

    Paulp Guest

    "Mouldy Mouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Does lettuce contain a lot of fiber or is its reputed
    > > roughage something else? What else could it be
    >
    > Nobody answered this one, so as the unofficial lettuce
    > fiend I will...
    >
    > There's not much fibre in lettuce, only 1% by weight. It's
    > just a big green low-calorie vitamin and mineral pill
    > which is 96% water. Details are at:
    >
    > http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/list_nut.pl

    Well, according to your data, its dry weight is 25% fiber. I
    would call that a high fiber food.

    Paul P.