Lettuce...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Carol In WI, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. Carol In WI

    Carol In WI Guest

    Curious question, what does lettuce look like when it seeds? I have never
    seen a head of lettuce go to seed. Any idea where to go and see what it
    looks like? Thanks a bunch, Carol In WI

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Carol In WI" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Curious question, what does lettuce look like when it seeds? I have never
    > seen a head of lettuce go to seed. Any idea where to go and see what it
    > looks like? Thanks a bunch, Carol In WI

    In my experience, lettuce "bolts," which means the heads start growing
    upwards with a stalk in the center. I think I've had it even go to seed
    after bolting. It'll still have leaves but it tends to get bitter as it
    bolts, which is what it does when the weather gets too warm.

    Come by my garden in July, and I'll show you some bolting lettuce. ;-)

    Priscilla

    --
    "It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
    of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.

  3. Michael Odom

    Michael Odom Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:38:01 GMT, "Carol In WI" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Curious question, what does lettuce look like when it seeds? I have never
    >seen a head of lettuce go to seed. Any idea where to go and see what it
    >looks like? Thanks a bunch, Carol In WI

    The head opens up and a stalk "bolts" from the center. Tiny flowers
    (the ones I've seen are yellow or white) bloom at the top of the
    stalk, followed by small seed pods.

    On a related note, if your arugula bolts, as mine always has
    eventually, the leaves get too bitter, but the flowers are very tasty.
    Tiny, but delicious.

    modom

    "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
    -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore