Leukemia Ride at Tahoe..help?

niucyclist22

Aug 31, 2007
Hey, I was wondering if anybody on this site has riden the century ride at Lake tahoe. If you have, can you give me tips on how to get donations? I would really enjoy attending this event, but I have to raise something in the zone of 1500 dollars. Also, how would one go about training for this event? I try to ride 20-25 mi. per week, but it is really hard with full time school, full time work. Thanks for the suggestions people!

niucyclist22 said:
Hey, I was wondering if anybody on this site has riden the century ride at Lake tahoe. If you have, can you give me tips on how to get donations? I would really enjoy attending this event, but I have to raise something in the zone of 1500 dollars. Also, how would one go about training for this event? I try to ride 20-25 mi. per week, but it is really hard with full time school, full time work. Thanks for the suggestions people!
Just did this event as my first century and hope to do it again next year. Had to raise $4,700 dollars. There are great ideas that you can do in your school actually. Check your PMs for further insight on fundraising and training.

niucyclist22 said:
I try to ride 20-25 mi. per week, but it is really hard with full time school, full time work. Thanks for the suggestions people!
20-25 miles per week ??

I just did a 30 mile ride. Going to hit around 110 for the week. And I doubt I'd be able to finish a century.

If you are only logging 20 - 25 miles a week, you might want to forgo the century this year and concentrate on training for it next year. You are going to have to greatly increase your mileage to around 30 miles three times a week with another day of at least 60 miles. Every other day should include training rides of no less than 15 miles. If you are going to be riding in the Lake Tahoe region, your training rides should include hill climbing and descents. You can work up to the mileages mentioned above, but this is what you should be riding for at least a month prior attempting a century.

Guys, this century is next June. The person was inquiring now because the fundraising is in advance. So, plenty of time to train.

niucyclist22 said:
oh ****... I meant 25 mi. per DAY. my bad guys... thanks for the imput though!
That's a relief! I was worried about you. Anyway, you might look into getting a resistance trainer. You can rack up some miles on those and read a book at the same time. Granted it is not the same quality as actually getting out and training but you might be able to fit it into your routine a little better. At least it will improve your strength and endurance which you definitely need for a century.