Level 1 Unicycling

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by dudewithasock, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Ok, I got the freemounting down...I can ride the 50 meters easily...

    ...but I don't really get how to dismount with the uniycle in front of
    me. And "gracefully", at that. I really want to call myself officially
    a level 1 rider, but I don't get how exactly that's done...I taught
    myself from the moment I started actually riding to just slide smoothly
    off the front of the seat and catch the seat behind me with my left
    hand. It looks graceful to me.

    Any tips? Thanks!

    -Matt

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'

    Last updated on Monday, January 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM Central Time

    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  2. skate4flip

    skate4flip Guest

  3. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    To dismount with the uni infront of you:

    Ride
    Slow down
    While slowing to a stop remove your front foot and set it down as it
    begins to move from the bottom up.
    Step off with the other foot.
    You should have your saddle in your hand.

    --
    Catboy

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
    Gallery Updated: 11/11/05

    :)*'UPD T-Shirts ON SALE NOW!!! (SOLD OUT FOR NOW! IF
    YOU DIDN'T BUY ONE, YOU SUCK!)'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44635)*:)

  4. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    when the pedals are level, you need to sort of lean back and put your
    weight on the back foot so the unicycle doesn't go anywhere. then take
    your front foot off the pedal and put it behind you. its almost like
    freemounting in reverse....

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  5. All three of your posts helped, thanks guys.

    And props to Amanda for all those videos of the different skill levels,
    that'll come in handy.

    -Matt

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'

    Last updated on Monday, January 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM Central Time

    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  6. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    You could try to stop and ride backwards, that's how I first did it.
    That way you at least fall off the back. not exactly graceful
    though...

    --
    Spudman

    *| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
    *| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
    *| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . .
    .. . . . . . .*X* <--Chosen's spot
    *| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
    *|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
    (http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
    rendered by forrest
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  7. I find it really unnatural and awkward to dismount with uni in front -
    the only times I've ever done it is for level tests. Stepping off the
    front (uni behind) just feels so much better. Do many people actually
    dismount like that normally, or is it just a way to prove you
    dismounted on purpose?

    --
    rob.northcott

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice

  8. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    rob.northcott wrote:
    > I find it really unnatural and awkward to dismount with uni in front -
    > the only times I've ever done it is for level tests. Stepping off the
    > front (uni behind) just feels so much better. Do many people actually
    > dismount like that normally, or is it just a way to prove you
    > dismounted on purpose?

    how long have you been riding?
    at first, I felt the same as you...it just felt really weird to step
    off backwards. but I do it normally now...I don't know if its because
    I practiced dismounting that way, or because eventually it just felt
    normal, or what.

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  9. Radical Reed

    Radical Reed Guest

    when ever i ride alone i just jump off and catch the seat but if people
    are watching i get off gracfully with unicycle in front, because they
    always think i fall if the unicycle is in the back, wierd

    --
    Radical Reed

    If at first you don't suceed, distroy all evidence that you tried

    the main reason santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad
    girls live.
    Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

  10. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    rob.northcott wrote:
    > I find it really unnatural and awkward to dismount with uni in front -
    > the only times I've ever done it is for level tests. Stepping off the
    > front (uni behind) just feels so much better. Do many people actually
    > dismount like that normally, or is it just a way to prove you
    > dismounted on purpose?

    I dismount uni in front most times now. I'm not sure why, I never
    practiced. It seems natural now though. I think it's because coker a
    lot, and the most controlled way to stop a coker is to step down and
    then let the wheel roll a bit in front of you, rather than stepping off
    the front, which adds a fair bit of forward momentum and is harder to
    judge. Thinking about it I reckon I learnt it because when I'm coming
    home I always ride as fast as possible up to our front door and stop at
    the last moment, which tends to leave the wheel too close to the door
    for a forwards dismount at speed. If you're going fast, you can just
    jump straight up and hold onto the uni and land on the ground naturally
    behind the uni.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

  11. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    rob.northcott wrote:
    > Do many people actually dismount like that normally, or is it just a way
    > to prove you dismounted on purpose?

    I think of it as a more stylish and controlled way to get off.
    Dismounting off the front can be easy to confuse with an unplanned
    dismount. A graceful dismount to the rear is hard to do accidentally.
    Plus it looks better. So for level 1, the idea is to show you can stop,
    then dismount, not just come off the front, which is so automatic it
    wouldn't need to be mentioned in a levels test.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

  12. James_Potter wrote:
    > how long have you been riding?

    Two years.

    So it seems like quite a few people use "uni in front" as their normal
    dismount. Stepping off the front seems much more natural to me though.
    I think there's a difference between a controlled "nearly stop then
    step off the front" and a flying UPD.

    Joe: I'm not in the habit of riding flat out into doors so I can't
    comment on that one :) you nutter

    --
    rob.northcott

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice

  13. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

    joemarshall wrote:
    > Thinking about it I reckon I learnt it because when I'm coming home I
    > always ride as fast as possible up to our front door and stop at the
    > last moment, which tends to leave the wheel too close to the door for a
    > forwards dismount at speed.
    >
    > Joe

    I do the same thing but i now occasionnally stop with 1 foot off
    instead
    Its good fun

    Mike

    --
    swarbrim

    :D add me at [email protected]
    swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

  14. There are a number of good reasons to dismount behind the unicyle,
    besides the fact that it often looks better. While the reverse mount
    is cool looking, I am a lot more likely to mess up on it, and so
    whenever somone is around, I like to dismount behind, so I can easily
    re-mount when I am ready to ride again. Also, when riding down a steep
    hill, dismounting in front can end up putting you a long ways down the
    hill, in a less controlled fashion.

    --
    sevenasterisks

    :)
    sevenasterisks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8632

  15. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    I find that dismounting with the unicycle infront is more difficult,
    especially with the bigger wheels, but much easier on the knees and
    more controlled.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
    victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  16. I used to find it difficult, as 99% of my dismounts were unplanned and I
    usually came off the front. It got easier when learning to freemount,
    as I was doing lots of planned dismounts. I found it easier to pretend
    I was going down a steep slope, so was sitting back and putting reverse
    pressure on the pedals. Sit back enough and when you come to a halt the
    uni will be in front. Then it's just a case of making it look stylish.

    --
    martin.phillips
    martin.phillips's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11421

  17. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    i always dismount with it infront.. if im meaning to dismount... just
    nice cuase you see where to uni is going.. plus i like riding really
    fast then jumping off the back

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -