Level 1 Unicycling

dudewithasock

Guest
Ok, I got the freemounting down...I can ride the 50 meters easily...

...but I don't really get how to dismount with the uniycle in front of
me. And "gracefully", at that. I really want to call myself officially
a level 1 rider, but I don't get how exactly that's done...I taught
myself from the moment I started actually riding to just slide smoothly
off the front of the seat and catch the seat behind me with my left
hand. It looks graceful to me.

Any tips? Thanks!

-Matt

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'

Last updated on Monday, January 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM Central Time

dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

To dismount with the uni infront of you:

Ride
Slow down
While slowing to a stop remove your front foot and set it down as it
begins to move from the bottom up.
Step off with the other foot.
You should have your saddle in your hand.

--
Catboy

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
Gallery Updated: 11/11/05

:)*'UPD T-Shirts ON SALE NOW!!! (SOLD OUT FOR NOW! IF
YOU DIDN'T BUY ONE, YOU SUCK!)'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44635)*:)

when the pedals are level, you need to sort of lean back and put your
weight on the back foot so the unicycle doesn't go anywhere. then take
your front foot off the pedal and put it behind you. its almost like
freemounting in reverse....

--
James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

All three of your posts helped, thanks guys.

And props to Amanda for all those videos of the different skill levels,
that'll come in handy.

-Matt

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'

Last updated on Monday, January 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM Central Time

dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

You could try to stop and ride backwards, that's how I first did it.
That way you at least fall off the back. not exactly graceful
though...

--
Spudman

*| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
*| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
*| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . .
.. . . . . . .*X* <--Chosen's spot
*| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
*|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
(http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
rendered by forrest
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

I find it really unnatural and awkward to dismount with uni in front -
the only times I've ever done it is for level tests. Stepping off the
front (uni behind) just feels so much better. Do many people actually
dismount like that normally, or is it just a way to prove you
dismounted on purpose?

--
rob.northcott

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice

rob.northcott wrote:
> I find it really unnatural and awkward to dismount with uni in front -
> the only times I've ever done it is for level tests. Stepping off the
> front (uni behind) just feels so much better. Do many people actually
> dismount like that normally, or is it just a way to prove you
> dismounted on purpose?

how long have you been riding?
at first, I felt the same as you...it just felt really weird to step
off backwards. but I do it normally now...I don't know if its because
I practiced dismounting that way, or because eventually it just felt
normal, or what.

--
James_Potter

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

michael atkinson
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

when ever i ride alone i just jump off and catch the seat but if people
are watching i get off gracfully with unicycle in front, because they
always think i fall if the unicycle is in the back, wierd

--
Radical Reed

If at first you don't suceed, distroy all evidence that you tried

the main reason santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad
girls live.
Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

rob.northcott wrote:
> I find it really unnatural and awkward to dismount with uni in front -
> the only times I've ever done it is for level tests. Stepping off the
> front (uni behind) just feels so much better. Do many people actually
> dismount like that normally, or is it just a way to prove you
> dismounted on purpose?

I dismount uni in front most times now. I'm not sure why, I never
practiced. It seems natural now though. I think it's because coker a
lot, and the most controlled way to stop a coker is to step down and
then let the wheel roll a bit in front of you, rather than stepping off
the front, which adds a fair bit of forward momentum and is harder to
judge. Thinking about it I reckon I learnt it because when I'm coming
home I always ride as fast as possible up to our front door and stop at
the last moment, which tends to leave the wheel too close to the door
for a forwards dismount at speed. If you're going fast, you can just
jump straight up and hold onto the uni and land on the ground naturally
behind the uni.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

rob.northcott wrote:
> Do many people actually dismount like that normally, or is it just a way
> to prove you dismounted on purpose?

I think of it as a more stylish and controlled way to get off.
Dismounting off the front can be easy to confuse with an unplanned
dismount. A graceful dismount to the rear is hard to do accidentally.
Plus it looks better. So for level 1, the idea is to show you can stop,
then dismount, not just come off the front, which is so automatic it
wouldn't need to be mentioned in a levels test.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

James_Potter wrote:
> how long have you been riding?

Two years.

So it seems like quite a few people use "uni in front" as their normal
dismount. Stepping off the front seems much more natural to me though.
I think there's a difference between a controlled "nearly stop then
step off the front" and a flying UPD.

Joe: I'm not in the habit of riding flat out into doors so I can't
comment on that one :) you nutter

--

joemarshall wrote:
> Thinking about it I reckon I learnt it because when I'm coming home I
> always ride as fast as possible up to our front door and stop at the
> last moment, which tends to leave the wheel too close to the door for a
> forwards dismount at speed.
>
> Joe

I do the same thing but i now occasionnally stop with 1 foot off
instead
Its good fun

Mike

--
swarbrim

:D add me at [email protected]
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

There are a number of good reasons to dismount behind the unicyle,
besides the fact that it often looks better. While the reverse mount
is cool looking, I am a lot more likely to mess up on it, and so
whenever somone is around, I like to dismount behind, so I can easily
re-mount when I am ready to ride again. Also, when riding down a steep
hill, dismounting in front can end up putting you a long ways down the
hill, in a less controlled fashion.

--
sevenasterisks

:)
sevenasterisks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8632

I find that dismounting with the unicycle infront is more difficult,
especially with the bigger wheels, but much easier on the knees and
more controlled.

Cathy

--
cathwood

'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

I used to find it difficult, as 99% of my dismounts were unplanned and I
usually came off the front. It got easier when learning to freemount,
as I was doing lots of planned dismounts. I found it easier to pretend
I was going down a steep slope, so was sitting back and putting reverse
pressure on the pedals. Sit back enough and when you come to a halt the
uni will be in front. Then it's just a case of making it look stylish.

--
martin.phillips
martin.phillips's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11421

i always dismount with it infront.. if im meaning to dismount... just
nice cuase you see where to uni is going.. plus i like riding really
fast then jumping off the back

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -