TiMan said:I kind of doubt that one.
I think the long rides teach the body to store lots of glycogen though. But, I bet 3 X 20 at L4 teaches the body to store a lot too...maybe to an even greater degree since depletion happens much quicker.
There is no doubt that long rides help you loose weight....you can get a lot of calories burnt without trying that hard. Yet , I wonder how many calories an hour at L4 burns compared to 3 hours at L2.....maybe it's pretty much the same. It's a hell of a lot easier to go out and ride for 2 hours at L2, six days a week, in an effort to loose weight than to ride one hour six days a week with a mix of L3 and L4. Plus when you are fat and out of shape it is probably best to "ease into it" anyway.
I agree completely with your statements.
I have experienced both in preparation for numerous bodybuilding competition where bodyfat levels have to be extremely low for competition.
During my last several competitions I found the HIIT on a cardio device was very efficient as a fat burning method and I am finding in the fitness industry that these methods are becoming more popular and have been for at least the last 5 years. The popular Les Mills RPM (spin class) can be found in gyms across the nation.
My personal observation for the two types of training (L2 or L4+) is that I can feel the sensation of thermogesis for a period of time following the high intensity. Meaning the body is still in a fat burning mode as the metabolism is still accelerated and the body temp. is still higher. I have found myself still sweating profusely after taking a shower, going to work and sitting at my desk for another 30 minutes or so. Whereas, a low intensity has to be performed for a longer period of time and once finished I may not even be sweating I can sense my metabolism is not racing nor did I even break a sweat and there is probably a very minimal thermogenic effect if at all.
So on one hand a person could spend hours training at a low intensity or take the option of training at a higher intensity, up the metabolic rate and potentially create a higher thermogenic effect that will last perhaps another hour following training.
I have done both sucessfully, but I find that I enjoy the higher intensity and fits in with my tight schedule. Plus I seem to be getting much faster on the bike and I now ride with the fast group with my club and I couldn't do that 4 months ago. People in my group have been amazed at the improvement and it all goes back to L4's for short duration intervals 5 days a week.
Lighter, Leaner and Faster