Level 2 revisited

Roadie_scum said:
I don't think L2 is worthless either, to quote Ric Stern:

"Zones 1-3: These zones are primarily designed to help with endurance, allowing high volume, low intensity work to be completed. Zone 2 forms the 'core' of an endurance cyclist's training programme. At the lower zone, fat is the predominant fuel source, with carbohydrate usage increasing as intensity increases."
Agree.

Just to clarify, Ric's zones are a little different to Andy's.

Andy's L1 = Ric's ZREC or Z0

Hence Ric's Z1 is an endurance zone, not a recovery zone.

Alex Simmons said:
Agree.

Just to clarify, Ric's zones are a little different to Andy's.

Andy's L1 = Ric's ZREC or Z0

Hence Ric's Z1 is an endurance zone, not a recovery zone.

Good clarification, thanks alex. :)

Roadie wrote:
"I'm not buying the weight training, but that's another thread.

I'd be much more interested to know (if you are uding WKO+), how does your accumulated TSS in all sustainable aerobic zones look (eg L2/3/4). Also, it is only a 3-4 minute interval, when you say you are doing L6, how much are you doing? This could bias your ability up."

Thanks for the good read!

I am giving the weight training the college try. I had a pro-riding coach for a couple months who got me started. Besides, there aren't many on here who speak Watts AND lift weights ;). If time spent doing it isn't optimal, at least I've varied the stimuli. I couldn't break down the attribution between 10-20 jump sprint workouts and the lifting, but I can say jump watts (sub-5sec) are up 100w over last season's top 10sec CP (I never did jumps until this year, so its hard to compare).

I can understand, and fully expect, the vast majority don't buy the weight thang, but its time efficient and fits around the winter cycling for me, plus I don't have genetic issues with bulking up.

I don't have wko+. My TSS scores for a one hour ~20 jump/sprint workout that includes some 10 second little ring form sprints are right around 60. So, not very intense by that metric. Letting my heart rate recover way down has something to do with that, too.

L6 work is on the short side and started 4 weeks ago. The book says L6 = 30sec to 3min, 121-150%FTP, and I've spent it by trying to increase time in the highest power end that is actually >150% of FTP. This has meant 45sec to 1 minute, 500 watt intervals. On another site, I noticed one person chose 45 seconds as a cutoff and I agree from a repeatability standpoint. I think recovery would require significantly more rest @1min. I can't imagine a 2-3minute interval at this power. If thought of in terms of a sprint, or breakaway effort, carrying somewhere between 150%FTP and full-on sprint watts (~300+%) for just a few more seconds makes for a working interval, IMO. It also gives weight-trained legs a chance to adapt to the bike at high force. Just a theory.

Regarding Allen/Coggan's L6 description, I think 1 minute at 150% and 3 minutes at 120% FTP are really different animals. Coggan might criticize a claim that the first seems more like an anaerobic strength exercise, while the second seems closer to a V02 interval.

Roadie wrote:
"I would make sure you do some very solid L6 work sprinkled throughout your time (1-2 minutes with full recovery, not 20s of sprint). I would also very seriously evaluate my bike handling and tactics. "

Noted. I guess its time to replace some planed 4 minute intervals with a few L6 1-2min thrashes. I wish I knew someone well enough to go bump around more. I've shouldered and bumped handlebars in group rides, but nothing aggressive.

woodgab said:
Regarding Allen/Coggan's L6 description, I think 1 minute at 150% and 3 minutes at 120% FTP are really different animals. Coggan might criticize a claim that the first seems more like an anaerobic strength exercise, while the second seems closer to a V02 interval.

You're right, I would: to me, the first seems more like an anaerobic capacity exercise, whereas the second seems closer to VO2max interval. ;)