Level 4 question

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by msummers, Feb 20, 2006.

1. msummers

msummers New Member

After a 60-90 min level 3 tempo sesssion I find it difficult to express my normal level 4 (.95 of a typical 2 x 20) output for more than 5 or six minutes. Then I surrender. This is not a usual workout for me but more of a curiosity. It's always amazed me how tour riders can put 100 miles of tempo in and then have enough left in the tank to finish strong. So, given that FT is an indication of performance, how about FT as it relates to duration of previous level 3 effort? If everyones in the same boat so to speak, then maybe it makes no difference. If it's truly a weakness, and varies per individual,then how do you improve it? How does this relate, if at all, to level 2 training?

ms

Tags:

2. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

how hard are you riding the tempo? Seeing the average power range is 0.75-0.90 FT - it's pretty wide. How long have you been hitting the tempo range?

rmur
    80% L3-LL4 since Nov. 1st :)

3. msummers

msummers New Member

For this month according to Cycling Peaks software, about 38% of total time spent was at tempo and 12% level 4. I like to ride at about 84% FT for tempo. It appears that only about 17% of total time spent at tempo was in the 82 - 90%FT range. Maybe you've helped point something out here. Perhaps I haven't yet spent enough time at level 3 in both intensity and duration. I'm still a bit of a greenhorn. I've just started a program the beginning of this month.

ms

4. Spunout

Spunout New Member

I think the better question would be to move your Z2 power up so that you are actually in Z2 when 'sitting in' in a race. When the final surges start, you aren't as worn down and can hit 4/5/6/7 better.

That is why even pure sprinters have to have massive aerobic capacities. He who gets to the line in the best shape (after 200km) unleashes a sprint closer to their optimal.

5. Woofer

Woofer New Member

Someone who can ride 200km fast and then sprint isn't a pure sprinter...

6. Spunout

Spunout New Member

Apologies: ROAD sprinter, or late attacker.