Level 6

robkit

Dec 11, 2003
There are so many threads on level 4 and 5 intervals but I'm quite interested to know what sort of regimes people have for level 6 work.

A problem I have is knowing what sort of power outputs to aim for, partly because I've necer really done them outside of racing. That is, I do enough level 4 and 5 intervals to know what sort of power outputs to hold for 20 minutes and a repeatable 4 minutes respectively.

But with level 6 there is obviously a big difference between what to aim for over 30s, and 2 minutes, for example.

Can anyone share knowledge on

- the workouts you do for level 6
- how you fit them into the broader plan
- the rules of thumb you use for the target power outputs. (Eg if I can do a repeatable 320w for 4mins, what do I aim for over 30s or 1 min or 2 mins?)

Good question, l've been waiting for this subject to come up again, from what l have read L6 efforts are best done in 1-3min int @ 121%-150% FT proly the most common prescribed would be 6x2min @ 121% than that should give you an idea of where your anearobic threshold is at and adjust your targeted power up or down from there, but like L4/5 there are lots of variations that people like which l am sure they will chime in and give there views, l prefer these to L5 l would even go as far as saying l like doing 1-1m30s L6 on a real steap hill near by as the session is over befor the pain has started you just end up in real oxygen debt for a min or so than go again, not sure on the recovery between sets though but someone will help out here, l believe 2-3min int are of most benifit in targeting this specific system with a total of 10-12min total L6 time. One question l have (don't mean to highjack thread) is how close to an A race should one be doing L6 if l was tapering for a 70km very hilly rolling course on a saturday and did my last L6 on say tuesday would this have a positive on neg affect on performance, it's just that in training when l do this l seem to perform alot better (some PB's) in weekend rides than say if l had done L6 on wed/thurs, legs would feel heavy sluggish for vertually whole weekend.

robkit said:

- the rules of thumb you use for the target power outputs. (Eg if I can do a repeatable 320w for 4mins, what do I aim for over 30s or 1 min or 2 mins?)

Some workouts I do/ prescribe:
3 x10m (On/ Off alternating 1min >~130% FTP + 2min ~75% FTP)
5x 3min ~125%FTP + 5x 2min ~135% FTP
2X 4min ~120%FTP + 2x 3min~130% FTP + 2x 2min ~140%FTP

Fitting them into the season depends largely on racing - these are tough workouts and used sparingly at the end of build periods and during race periods.

In terms of power targets, I want the power to be repeatable and with a slight slope upwards both during the interval and the set. Beyond that, it's largely up to individuals capabilities and the demands of the events that are being targeted.

robkit said:
There are so many threads on level 4 and 5 intervals but I'm quite interested to know what sort of regimes people have for level 6 work.

A problem I have is knowing what sort of power outputs to aim for, partly because I've necer really done them outside of racing. That is, I do enough level 4 and 5 intervals to know what sort of power outputs to hold for 20 minutes and a repeatable 4 minutes respectively.

But with level 6 there is obviously a big difference between what to aim for over 30s, and 2 minutes, for example.

I work in a day dedicated to 2 minute and 1 minute intervals once a week in the last month before I'm wanting to peak. It is usually in the course of about a 1.5 hour ride b/c the spot that I do them is a ways out. I generally do a 5 minute interval at 115% FTP about 10-15 minutes before starting them to open up my legs. I try for 5-6X2 (sometimes ends up 4X2) at 135% FTP with 1 minute rest between intervals. Then about 5-10 minute rest and do 5-6X1 at 150% FTP with 1 minute rest between intervals. After that my body is pretty trashed and the ride back is generally L1/L2 the whole way. Don't know if this is the way that they are supposed to be done, but it seems to work for me. Hope this helps.

Yeh that is pretty much how l do mine 4x2 @120-125% first than 4x1-1m20s starting @140% and increasing by 10% for each of the last sets. l like to finish my last int for the day with the highest avg power makes me feel l have trained as hard as l can for the day without fading in the last part of a workout, nothing more depressing limping home totaly spent after a workout knowing you failed or blew up early and couldn't go on, this way l finish on a high and can't wait to have another crack next week. l aim for about 12-14m total L6 time but l am still unsure of rest time between sets l need at least 2-3m and towards the last couple sometimes 3-4m.

I analysed the file for a race where I should have won but came 2nd. My next workouts attempted to replicate the race efforts that had taken their toll. 10 times 30 secs at 150% with 6o secs recovery, 20 mins at threshold then as many more 30 sec efforts as I could manage, but as others have said I had to extend the recovery period for the last couple. Total workout gave around 150TSS and I was able to do 40mins L4 the following day. I couldn't say what increases in performance I gained but the last couple of times I have raced I've had loads of confidence and mental strength knowing that I've gone at least as hard in training.

bubsy said:
Yeh that is pretty much how l do mine 4x2 @120-125% first than 4x1-1m20s starting @140% and increasing by 10% for each of the last sets. l like to finish my last int for the day with the highest avg power makes me feel l have trained as hard as l can for the day without fading in the last part of a workout, nothing more depressing limping home totaly spent after a workout knowing you failed or blew up early and couldn't go on, this way l finish on a high and can't wait to have another crack next week. l aim for about 12-14m total L6 time but l am still unsure of rest time between sets l need at least 2-3m and towards the last couple sometimes 3-4m.
This seems a bit counterintuitive to me (for training, not racing). I would think that if you die half way through your last interval, it would indicate that you worked as hard as possible (had nothing left). If you're able to increase intensity with each interval, then you're shortchanging yourself by stopping "on a high". Personally, I'm in favor of doing L6 intervals of equal intensity until you know you can't do another.

I think you need to realize that limping home after a workout is a good thing. :)

Piotr said:
I think you need to realize that limping home after a workout is a good thing. :)

I understand what you are saying here but just a caveat, please take it in context! It really depends on what you are doing and where you are in your season/training week/etc.

Roadie_scum said:
I understand what you are saying here but just a caveat, please take it in context! It really depends on what you are doing and where you are in your season/training week/etc.
Understood. I was speaking within a context of L6 training (peaking). I certainly don't kill myself during my off-season Tempo sessions. :)

nitricflogfish said:
I analysed the file for a race where I should have won but came 2nd. My next workouts attempted to replicate the race efforts that had taken their toll. 10 times 30 secs at 150% with 6o secs recovery, 20 mins at threshold then as many more 30 sec efforts as I could manage, but as others have said I had to extend the recovery period for the last couple.
That is tough stuff.

I do these:
  1. 8x30 sec with 90 sec recoveries @ ~80-90% of max 30-sec power shown on MMP curve in WKO+
  2. 6-8 x 2 minutes @ ~90% of max 2-min power with >4 minute recoveries
  3. 30 sec on @ 150% FTP / 30 sec off @ ~70% FTP for 20 minutes (do 2 blocks)
  4. 15 sec on @ ~170-200% FTP / 15 sec off @ ~70% FTP for 10 minutes (do 2 blocks)
  5. 60 minutes @ L3/ low L4 with as many short, sharp climbs (~15-60 seconds) as I can handle where I am hitting them at full gas
Number 3 seems to be good for blowing the cobwebs out of my pathetic anaerobic capacity in preparation for the very early season criteriums. If I do it once a week for 4-6 weeks beforehand, I'm much better off it seems. Number 4 is probably somewhat L7-oriented as well. Number 5, I call "poor man's motorpacing" though there are some big differences with motorpacing.(e.g. cadence during the surges, speed of the ride). It's good race simulation though.

Piotr said:
Understood. I was speaking within a context of L6 training (peaking). I certainly don't kill myself during my off-season Tempo sessions. :)

Yeah I thought you were onto it - just a general point worth making. :)