Level of fitness

>>>Simon... that wouldn't be a picture of you as a gay icon, would it?
>>
>> LaoFuZhi
>>
>>>will need to avert his eyes ;-D
>>>
>>>Cheers, helen s

>> Certainly not, I'm wearing baggies over the lycra!

Ah ha! Not out then, unlike Nipples Colyer who is quite content to be seen in
Lycra.
Heaven knows what LaoFuZhi would make of the Unfit Familyall cycling together,
all in varying degrees of Lycra and various colour schemes ;-D

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

> Simon... that wouldn't be a picture of you as a gay icon, would it?

LaoFuZhi
> will need to avert his eyes ;-D

NO, Helen, not at all...... I'll simply have my team of village-people
trained lycra interceptors whisk him off the road for reconditioning.... ;-)

Proper tweed plus-fours and stout brogues are the only acceptable cycle
wear and you should all jolly-well remember that! ;-)

>Proper tweed plus-fours and stout brogues are the only acceptable cycle
>wear and you should all jolly-well remember that! ;-)

Only if they come in fluorescent yellow with reflectives on them.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

"LaoFuZhi" <the.real.address [email protected]
thing.not.too.hard.to.work.out> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Simon... that wouldn't be a picture of you as a gay icon, would it?

> LaoFuZhi
> > will need to avert his eyes ;-D

> NO, Helen, not at all...... I'll simply have my team of village-people
> trained lycra interceptors whisk him off the road for reconditioning....

;-)

I've already got a 'tache so it wouldn't take too long ;-0

--

Simon M.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:05:46 +0100, "Simon Mason"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

> I've already got a 'tache so it wouldn't take too long ;-0

You need that recumbent...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, [Not
> Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:16:44 GMT, "bob watkinson"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> George you must know in yourself that you feel a hell of a lot
>>> fitter than you did three years ago. Your currently averaging 16mph
>>> on a mountain bike which I reckon would give you 18mph if you moved
>>> to a road bike. Why not try an audax event and you'll see that you
>>> are probably faster than about 60% of your fellow riders.

>> Audax is an excellent way to do some more disciplined cycling.
>>
>> I'm usually way down the field but that's only because I stop for a
>> smoke more often than the rest of them.

> How fast do you need to be able to do not to humiliate yourself on an
> Audax? There's a 100Km in the borders next weekend which I'm sort of
> half-seriously thinking about. I know I can do the distance, but I'm a
> leeetle anxious about trailing in after everyone else has gone home.

15kph, so for 200km its 13h 20m, 100km its 6h 40m including stops. My moving
average is far less than folk talk about on here and even I can complete
100km and 200km rides within the time limits including all stops. I do this
without trying so if I really was tight for time and wanted to make the cut
I could put a little extra effort in and/or stop less or stop for shorter
time periods.

Go for it.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Yes, I think I developed an irregular heartbeat in 2001 (gone away now) due
> to overexertion caused by cycling too far

This is interesting Simon, as I have experienced something similar
recently. Can the irregularity be tied into over training, or cycling
to far as you say?

I understand that my doctor is of course the best person to ask, but I'd
be interested to hear your (or anybody else) comment on this.

Thanks!

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling

"George Hauxwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I took up cycling about 3 years ago purely in order to get some exercise.

> try and get out on the bike (mountain bike with slik tyres) 3 or 4 times

> week, cycling a couple of 10-12 mile rides and one or two 20 mile rides at
> weekends. I do the 20 mile ride in an hour and twenty minutes (give or

take
> a minute or two). Is this a reasonable level of fitness for a 46 yr old

man
> or is it below average? I feel fitter than I did 3 years ago so it must be
> doing me some good. I have thought about joining a club but I'm a bit
> concerned whether I'd be able to keep up with the other riders.

I imagine it's probably way above average for the population as a whole and
is certainly respectable for a leisure cyclist.
I don't imagine you'd have a problem keeping up with most of the club riders
I see, bearing in mind it's easier to ride fast in a bunch. Periodically I
come across fast club riders, usually smaller groups referred to as "chain
gangs" who are working hard and at the upper level of the spectrum.
The best thing is to seek out a club and ask to join a ride after explaining
your level.

Rgds,
Pete

MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:

: Depends entirely on the club; if they are all hardend TTers you may
: struggle at first, if they have more audax type riders you should be
: OK. Why not just join Audax UK? a bit further to travel than with a
: local club but much more fun IMHO,

But no use at all if what you want is someone to ride with on a weekend/evening
to get fit.

Just get some contacts for your local clubs and ring them up. Tell them
your background and see what they say. If they are a racing-only club
they'll let you know. Most clubs have a ride suitable for people like
yourself though.

Then join AUK and do some rides :)

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Thanks a lot for all your advice, it's certainly helped me a lot. I feel
much more confident about approaching a club now, and I'll look into this
'Audax' business too when I find out exactly what it is.

Cheers

George

Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Simon Brooke [email protected] opined the following...
> > How fast do you need to be able to do not to humiliate yourself on an
> > Audax? There's a 100Km in the borders next weekend which I'm sort of
> > half-seriously thinking about. I know I can do the distance, but I'm a
> > leeetle anxious about trailing in after everyone else has gone home.

> If that's the Coldingham one, I've been in touch with Bruce to see if it
> is too late to enter. Assuming he's happy to accept a late entry,
> there'll be at least one other new newbie present.

There is usually a closing date shown on the website if there is one,
or sometimes a limit on numbers. Most of them are Ok to enter on the
line, but it makes it easier for them to plan Brevet cards,
refreshments etc with advance entries, also gives you a chance to get
the route sheet into a managable and weatherproof form.

MSA <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>

> > Yes, I think I developed an irregular heartbeat in 2001 (gone away now) due
> > to overexertion caused by cycling too far
> >

> This is interesting Simon, as I have experienced something similar
> recently. Can the irregularity be tied into over training, or cycling
> to far as you say?
>
> I understand that my doctor is of course the best person to ask, but I'd
> be interested to hear your (or anybody else) comment on this.
>
> Thanks!

Well, I am no way qualified, but when I was riding long distances
>100 miles, I noticed I'd get a missed beat where the heart stops for

one beat and the next beat is extra powerful causing a thud in the
chest. I think it's called premature ventricular contractions.

http://home.earthlink.net/~avdoc/infocntr/htrhythm/hrvpbs.htm

I don't get them at all now, so I put it down to overexertion, cos I
still drink as much beer as back then.

--
Simon M.

Simon Mason wrote:

> Well, I am no way qualified, but when I was riding long distances
>>100 miles, I noticed I'd get a missed beat where the heart stops for

> one beat and the next beat is extra powerful causing a thud in the
> chest. I think it's called premature ventricular contractions.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~avdoc/infocntr/htrhythm/hrvpbs.htm
>
> I don't get them at all now, so I put it down to overexertion, cos I
> still drink as much beer as back then.

I used to get that all the time. It pretty much disappeared when I cut
down on my ludicrous coffee intake.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

I took up cycling when I was about 40 and very unfit, overweight,
stressed out by marriage probs, heavy drinking, heavy smoking (I
enjoyed the last two). Just pootling about in Derbyshire on a 2nd hand
raleigh 10 speed.
Now I'm nearly 60 and have just done LEJOG at 120km per day + heavy
camping gear and have done audaxes 100 - 200km no prob.
I find audaxes less off putting than clubs in that you can do one
entirely on your own, or in a group, and as fast or slow as you want
within the very reasonable limits. If you can't make it you just slope
off home discretely, but let the organisers know or they might worry
about you - you can always pretend major bike breakdown, but I've only
done this twice - once with genuine bike breakdown and once when the
wife kicked up a fuss on a 150km very hilly one.
Just go for it - push your limits quite a lot but not so far that you
get put off and stop enjoying it.
Its handy to think in kms rather than miles - it looks more impressive
and you can aim to do in kms what a fit young cyclist could do in
miles.

cheers

Jacob

Trying to instantly do a 13 km cycling after much relax was not a wise decision. Even though I was coaching at 10 kilometers a evening for a charitable organisation ride a season ago, doing 10 kilometers a day all of a unexpected this 7 days with the new job has triggered some minimal issues.