Levels

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by irvinegr, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. irvinegr

    irvinegr Guest

    i am LEVEL 8 NOW!!! actually i can do everything in level 8 and some
    otherthings in level 9, 10... and some super hard tricks that arnt even
    in the levels... what level are you guys?? and any tips on standing
    wheel walks???

    --
    irvinegr
    irvinegr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10958

  2. are you seriously level 8 and unable to do stand up ww? :eek: well i
    dont reali have many tips for it, im not that good at it myself but
    have your non pushing foot pointing up so you can get your pushin foot
    underneath it and have longer pushes...
    can you help me with hand ww?

    --
    amanda.gallacher

    'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
    ChangingLINKS.com - 'Amanda rocks!'
    fcwegnm0b - 'Amanda you are awesome!'
    Chosen - 'i think...i...love amanda'
    [email protected] - add me
    amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

  3. jsm

    jsm Guest

  4. sitting on the seat, with my feet on the crown

    you should learn backwards spin and pirouette! then get level 10!

    --
    amanda.gallacher

    'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
    ChangingLINKS.com - 'Amanda rocks!'
    fcwegnm0b - 'Amanda you are awesome!'
    Chosen - 'i think...i...love amanda'
    [email protected] - add me
    amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

  5. jsm

    jsm Guest

    "Learning this skill can be rather problematic, since you can't mount
    into it, getting into it from idling is somewhat tricky at first, and
    you can't use a wall, since you have no way to hold onto it. The best
    methods are to have a spotter steer you along until you can practice it
    from idling, or to do it from a pole or the end of a wall. I used a
    book cabinet in my basement. You also have to have the right kind of
    saddle. Something like the Torker CX or the Savage saddle is too small
    and will be very painful. I really like the standard Kris Holm saddle
    for this trick, as it is fairly big and offers lots of support. When
    you try it the first time, get into a steady position and hold onto
    something with your one hand. Then transfer your feet and other hand to
    wheel one at time, and lean down and forward. The farther forward you
    lean, the easier it will be to balance. Put as much weight on the fork
    through your legs as possible to decrease the discomfort. Now push the
    wheel a couple times with the hand on the wheel until you are clear of
    your support, then bring the other hand down and get started. You
    should make the pushes a ways down the wheel, not right near the fork.
    You make the balance corrections by changing the speed and direction of
    your pushes, and by leaning your upper body from one side to another.
    Side to side balance is the tricky part. If you are falling off to one
    side slowly, and turning slighlty, try to swing your whole upper body
    to the other side. If you realize that you are falling off soon enough,
    you can right yourself this way.
    As soon as you can get ten or fifteen steps fairly often, you should
    try learning to go into hand wheel walk from idling or riding. Mount
    sitting a lot farther back than normal and idle smoothly, then come to
    a stop at the end of a large forward stroke and begin transferring your
    limbs. First move the high idling foot, then put one hand on the wheel.
    Then transfer the other foot, give the wheel a push with your first
    hand and get the other hand in place behind it. Getting out of this
    skill can be a little tricky. I have done it two ways. One way is to
    quickly raise your body and put your feet on the wheel, do a short
    wheel walk, then drop to the pedals. The other is to wait until a pedal
    is coming down, then quickly move your foot from the fork to the pedal.
    Raise your body quickly and go into one-footed idling, then get your
    other foot down."
    -from the hand wheel walk section I wrote for the Unicyclopedia.

    I do want to learn the backward spin eventually, but it's just not
    nearly as much fun to practice as the other stuff I'm working on. I've
    practiced the regular pirouette a lot, but I don't have access to a
    gym, and I can't find any other place where I could hope to pirouette
    threee full revolutions.

    --
    jsm

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  6. The Bruiser

    The Bruiser Guest

  7. Three more thoughts on hand wheel walk to add to jsm's great reply:
    1. Keep your knees as far apart as you comfortably are able
    (flexibility can be an issue here). Your knees/legs do your balancing.
    If you have your knees close together, it is similar to telling a
    beginning unicyclist to learn to unicycle by holding their arms close
    to their body.
    2. Adding to jsm's notes on a spotter: When teaching this skill at
    TCUC, we often have a taller/stronger person lightly hold the hips of
    the person learning. This allows the person learning to understand the
    positioning of their body and really helps in the initial stages of
    learning the skill.
    3. It is possible to put some weight on the seat (even for guys) - most
    of our guys who do hand wheel walk scoot back in the seat before the
    initial leaning down. Then most of the weight is on their lower
    abdomen, with other body parts up out of the way. Naturally, this last
    part I only know through conversation... we females have a much easier
    time with this skill! Putting weight on the seat is important if you
    ever want to learn hand wheel walk-feet out.

    Connie

    --
    constance.cotter
    constance.cotter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9039

  8. caw89

    caw89 Guest

    Im level 7, I gave up on learning to pirroutte...or to hand wheel
    walk...I just cant do either of them...But Yet I can 360 unispin and no
    handed hop over 20inches....that doesnt make to much sense to me...

    --
    caw89

    'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

    'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

    AIM: unicaw89

    -last edited by god on 3000-01-01 at 12:00 am-
    caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

  9. unitic

    unitic Guest

  10. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    The Bruiser wrote:
    > im lvl 0 w00t w00t

    I don't know. In the other thread with the same title "Levels" that you
    started, Tom Daniels answered your question about levels 1 through 4.
    That doesn't include level 0. So, how did you test that you are level
    0? :)

    --
    Klaas Bil
    Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

  11. chosen

    chosen Guest

    irvinegr wrote:
    > and any tips on standing wheel walks???

    for stand-up wheel walks, its good to have a solid wheel walk and a
    fairly good 1 footed wheel walk. when starting, go up to a wall, and
    stand straight up on the frame. leave your less dominant foot on the
    frame, and your more dominant foot on the tire. slowly push on the
    wheel with your dominant foot and you will feel a sort of gliding
    motion. make your kicks on the tyre small- you want to be in
    control-stay on the 'top' of the tyre without your foot sliding further
    down.. when you have this down after a little practice, start slowly
    moving away from the wall. thats about as detailed as it gets- thats
    the pm i sent you that im not sure if you read. are you sure youre
    level 8?

    --
    chosen

    respectfully,
    jonny
    *'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/cyq4q)*
    :)i love this end up:)
    chosen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9281

  12. freddy

    freddy Guest

    I'm level 7.

    When I do stand-up wheelealk, I stand into a wall in the start. I have
    my left foot on the frame and my right one on the tire, on the side of
    the frame.

    --
    freddy

    Fredrik, Norway. )--O
    freddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11355

  13. leo

    leo Guest

  14. fexnix

    fexnix Guest

    I have promised myself to never learn hand wheel walk, it just looks too
    ridiculous and un-comfortable for me :D

    So I havent looked at the levels for a while cuz I know the point will
    come that I have to learn hand wheel walk if I keep practising the
    levels stuff.

    --
    fexnix

    '*My fresh gallery*'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
    *I Got Infinite Skillz*
    fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

  15. excaliber906

    excaliber906 Guest

    fexnix wrote:
    > I have promised myself to never learn hand wheel walk, it just looks too
    > ridiculous and un-comfortable for me :D
    >
    > So I havent looked at the levels for a while cuz I know the point will
    > come that I have to learn hand wheel walk if I keep practising the
    > levels stuff.

    If you flip the seat around backwards its much more comfortable; plus
    to most people unicycling already looks ridiculous.

    For some reason, backwards hand ww is much easier for me than forwards.
    It may just be I'm afraid to fall on my face leaning forwards too much.
    Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

    --
    excaliber906

    ~Stephen McKay

    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

    *Unitam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.*
    excaliber906's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8933

  16. jsm

    jsm Guest

    What kind of hand wheel walk are you referring to? For regular sitting
    on the seat handww, and for stomach on seat handww, I think it's easier
    with the seat in the normal position, but for feet out handww, I turn
    the unicycle around.

    My best ever backward handww was about ten steps. I've found it to be
    extremely difficult, far harder than forward handww. I'd really like to
    see someone do a nice long solo backward handww run.:eek:

    I really don't find handww to be very uncomfortable, especially not the
    regular sitting on the seat version. It just takes practice. It's one
    of my favorite tricks, and I've always felt it looks cool, but then I
    have wierd tastes.

    --
    jsm

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia

    "wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*" -chosen
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911