Levels

are you seriously level 8 and unable to do stand up ww? :eek: well i
dont reali have many tips for it, im not that good at it myself but
have your non pushing foot pointing up so you can get your pushin foot
underneath it and have longer pushes...
can you help me with hand ww?

--
amanda.gallacher

'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
ChangingLINKS.com - 'Amanda rocks!'
fcwegnm0b - 'Amanda you are awesome!'
Chosen - 'i think...i...love amanda'
[email protected] - add me
amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

sitting on the seat, with my feet on the crown

you should learn backwards spin and pirouette! then get level 10!

--
amanda.gallacher

'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
ChangingLINKS.com - 'Amanda rocks!'
fcwegnm0b - 'Amanda you are awesome!'
Chosen - 'i think...i...love amanda'
[email protected] - add me
amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

"Learning this skill can be rather problematic, since you can't mount
into it, getting into it from idling is somewhat tricky at first, and
you can't use a wall, since you have no way to hold onto it. The best
methods are to have a spotter steer you along until you can practice it
from idling, or to do it from a pole or the end of a wall. I used a
book cabinet in my basement. You also have to have the right kind of
saddle. Something like the Torker CX or the Savage saddle is too small
and will be very painful. I really like the standard Kris Holm saddle
for this trick, as it is fairly big and offers lots of support. When
you try it the first time, get into a steady position and hold onto
something with your one hand. Then transfer your feet and other hand to
wheel one at time, and lean down and forward. The farther forward you
lean, the easier it will be to balance. Put as much weight on the fork
through your legs as possible to decrease the discomfort. Now push the
wheel a couple times with the hand on the wheel until you are clear of
your support, then bring the other hand down and get started. You
should make the pushes a ways down the wheel, not right near the fork.
You make the balance corrections by changing the speed and direction of
your pushes, and by leaning your upper body from one side to another.
Side to side balance is the tricky part. If you are falling off to one
side slowly, and turning slighlty, try to swing your whole upper body
to the other side. If you realize that you are falling off soon enough,
you can right yourself this way.
As soon as you can get ten or fifteen steps fairly often, you should
try learning to go into hand wheel walk from idling or riding. Mount
sitting a lot farther back than normal and idle smoothly, then come to
a stop at the end of a large forward stroke and begin transferring your
limbs. First move the high idling foot, then put one hand on the wheel.
Then transfer the other foot, give the wheel a push with your first
hand and get the other hand in place behind it. Getting out of this
skill can be a little tricky. I have done it two ways. One way is to
quickly raise your body and put your feet on the wheel, do a short
wheel walk, then drop to the pedals. The other is to wait until a pedal
is coming down, then quickly move your foot from the fork to the pedal.
Raise your body quickly and go into one-footed idling, then get your
other foot down."
-from the hand wheel walk section I wrote for the Unicyclopedia.

I do want to learn the backward spin eventually, but it's just not
nearly as much fun to practice as the other stuff I'm working on. I've
practiced the regular pirouette a lot, but I don't have access to a
gym, and I can't find any other place where I could hope to pirouette
threee full revolutions.

--
jsm

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Three more thoughts on hand wheel walk to add to jsm's great reply:
1. Keep your knees as far apart as you comfortably are able
(flexibility can be an issue here). Your knees/legs do your balancing.
If you have your knees close together, it is similar to telling a
beginning unicyclist to learn to unicycle by holding their arms close
to their body.
2. Adding to jsm's notes on a spotter: When teaching this skill at
TCUC, we often have a taller/stronger person lightly hold the hips of
the person learning. This allows the person learning to understand the
positioning of their body and really helps in the initial stages of
learning the skill.
3. It is possible to put some weight on the seat (even for guys) - most
of our guys who do hand wheel walk scoot back in the seat before the
initial leaning down. Then most of the weight is on their lower
abdomen, with other body parts up out of the way. Naturally, this last
part I only know through conversation... we females have a much easier
time with this skill! Putting weight on the seat is important if you
ever want to learn hand wheel walk-feet out.

Connie

--
constance.cotter
constance.cotter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9039

Im level 7, I gave up on learning to pirroutte...or to hand wheel
walk...I just cant do either of them...But Yet I can 360 unispin and no
handed hop over 20inches....that doesnt make to much sense to me...

--
caw89

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

AIM: unicaw89

-last edited by god on 3000-01-01 at 12:00 am-
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

The Bruiser wrote:
> im lvl 0 w00t w00t

I don't know. In the other thread with the same title "Levels" that you
started, Tom Daniels answered your question about levels 1 through 4.
That doesn't include level 0. So, how did you test that you are level
0? :)

--
Klaas Bil
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

irvinegr wrote:
> and any tips on standing wheel walks???

for stand-up wheel walks, its good to have a solid wheel walk and a
fairly good 1 footed wheel walk. when starting, go up to a wall, and
stand straight up on the frame. leave your less dominant foot on the
frame, and your more dominant foot on the tire. slowly push on the
wheel with your dominant foot and you will feel a sort of gliding
motion. make your kicks on the tyre small- you want to be in
control-stay on the 'top' of the tyre without your foot sliding further
down.. when you have this down after a little practice, start slowly
moving away from the wall. thats about as detailed as it gets- thats
the pm i sent you that im not sure if you read. are you sure youre
level 8?

--
chosen

respectfully,
jonny
*'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/cyq4q)*
:)i love this end up:)
chosen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9281

I have promised myself to never learn hand wheel walk, it just looks too
ridiculous and un-comfortable for me :D

So I havent looked at the levels for a while cuz I know the point will
come that I have to learn hand wheel walk if I keep practising the
levels stuff.

--
fexnix

'*My fresh gallery*'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
*I Got Infinite Skillz*
fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

fexnix wrote:
> I have promised myself to never learn hand wheel walk, it just looks too
> ridiculous and un-comfortable for me :D
>
> So I havent looked at the levels for a while cuz I know the point will
> come that I have to learn hand wheel walk if I keep practising the
> levels stuff.

If you flip the seat around backwards its much more comfortable; plus
to most people unicycling already looks ridiculous.

For some reason, backwards hand ww is much easier for me than forwards.
It may just be I'm afraid to fall on my face leaning forwards too much.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

--
excaliber906

~Stephen McKay

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

*Unitam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.*
excaliber906's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8933

What kind of hand wheel walk are you referring to? For regular sitting
on the seat handww, and for stomach on seat handww, I think it's easier
with the seat in the normal position, but for feet out handww, I turn
the unicycle around.

My best ever backward handww was about ten steps. I've found it to be
extremely difficult, far harder than forward handww. I'd really like to
see someone do a nice long solo backward handww run.:eek:

I really don't find handww to be very uncomfortable, especially not the
regular sitting on the seat version. It just takes practice. It's one
of my favorite tricks, and I've always felt it looks cool, but then I
have wierd tastes.

--
jsm

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia

"wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*" -chosen
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911