Levi "bitter and angry" about the Tour

Trev_S said:
I'd hardly call them an American team.
Telekom > T-Mobile > High Road > Columbia

All they did was change the country of their license.
Gives them an image change from the T-Mobile bad publicity of the few years before hand.

In affect it's worked because people (as seen above) are refering to them as a US team blah blah blah.

:p
They did much more then that. The ownership of the team transfered from Godefroot to Udo Bolts to Bob Stableton two years ago. The team, outside of the trucks, bus, and cars is almost competely different.

Sorry Levi. I tried. I even started the very first petition to get you in. We had about 83 signatures last time we checked. We still love you...and your little dog too.

Oh. And your wife is hot with a capital "T".

Eldron said:
Methinks Astana are kicking themselves for not changing their team name and colours now....

Unless of course Lance's feeling of "they left Astana out because ASO hate Arsmstrong/Bruyneel" is correct.

High Road/Columbia/T-Mobile have a closet full of skeletons at least as big as Astana's if not worse - systematic doping/bust riders/dirty team management/confessions galore...

Breath Eldron breath :D

Ah well - at least I have the fact that Contador/Kloden/Leipheimer will fill the podium at TdF '09 to help me sleep at night ;)
I think the french just don't like america. John Bruynel, Al Cantador and Levi never stood a chance because of the jealousy. It doesn't matter. We have the Tour of California. Cool.

Jeff Vader said:
I think the french just don't like america. John Bruynel, Al Cantador and Levi never stood a chance because of the jealousy. It doesn't matter. We have the Tour of California. Cool.
tsk tsk, his name is Bert remember. It makes him sound so American as opposed to that foreign name Alberto

and like a muppet.

Jeff Vader said:
...with a viewing audience of dozens... :D

I never understood why Levi should be singled out for punishment or vitriol. Because he rode for Disco and now Astana? Under Bruyneels? Lance I can understand due to his cynical lies, accusations of corruption to those bearing honest witness, the hypocrisy, and the sheer profit from his unaccounted for, fraud.

However they all dope (apologize to the one or two who are clean and riding like Hercules to keep up... or even win in Gilbert's case...
rolleyes.gif
).

Levi seems like a pretty down to earth guy. Yes... he has had to compromise his integrity by taking the dope that allows him to ply his trade. But they all have had to do that.

Crankyfeet said:
I never understood why Levi should be singled out for punishment or vitriol. Because he rode for Disco and now Astana? Under Bruyneels? Lance I can understand due to his cynical lies, accusations of corruption to those bearing honest witness, the hypocrisy, and the sheer profit from his unaccounted for, fraud.

However they all dope (apologize to the one or two who are clean and riding like Hercules to keep up... or even win in Gilbert's case...
rolleyes.gif
).

Levi seems like a pretty down to earth guy. Yes... he has had to compromise his integrity by taking the dope that allows him to ply his trade. But they all have had to do that.
well apart from the fact that he's boring... the whole LetLevi ride left a bad taste in my mouth (it should have been LetAstana ride). But then what really gets my craw is that is mouthing the anti-French **** that typically comes out of Astana.

earth_dweller said:
well apart from the fact that he's boring... .
I don't think he's boring. Levi would be in my dream Dungeons and Dragons foursome with Cadel, and George Hincapie. It would be awesome.

earth_dweller said:
well apart from the fact that he's boring... the whole LetLevi ride left a bad taste in my mouth (it should have been LetAstana ride). But then what really gets my craw is that is mouthing the anti-French **** that typically comes out of Astana.
Kinda agree with Eddie here. I didn't have much vitriol for him. I don't even know what that is but I didn't have it. The whole Let Levi Ride campaign really soured my stomach. Connie Ryland ******** spin was way out of control.

Levi. One suggestion. Stay away from Connie Ryland and her PR ********.

Malkmus said:
Kinda agree with Eddie here. I didn't have much vitriol for him. I don't even know what that is but I didn't have it. The whole Let Levi Ride campaign really soured my stomach. Connie Ryland ******** spin was way out of control.

Levi. One suggestion. Stay away from Connie Ryland and her PR ********.
yeah but Levi doesn't control or drive that. But I respect Eddie Dweller's views....
wink.gif

Crankyfeet said:
yeah but Levi doesn't control or drive that. But I respect Eddie Dweller's views....
wink.gif
maybe he didn't start it but he sure used it. He walked around with a letLevi cap, buttons and mentioned it at press conferences... wonder if Trek gave him a piece of the action on that.

earth_dweller said:
maybe he didn't start it but he sure used it. He walked around with a letLevi cap, buttons and mentioned it at press conferences... wonder if Trek gave him a piece of the action on that.
He was probably getting a hundred emails a day of support. And he would have desperately wanted to ride in the race, which you can't fault him for.

But I was turned off by that whole LetLeviRide thing as well. My gripe was with Trek, you set the whole thing up... but didn't advertise that fact. And with Astana... who IMO were tapping into American support using cynical opportunism to help their cause. There's no way that Astana weren't involved at some level.

Don't fret it. I am sure he is happy riding the Cascade Classic instead. Beating up on "pros" who make $12K a year, sleep on their friend's couch, and work in a bike shop during winter is always fun. At least he is winning. Poor Tom Danielson is getting his ass kicked.

the only two people Levi should be angry with is himself for following Bruyneel to Astana, and Bruyneel for convincing the Disco team that following him to Astana would ensure another great season of cycling for those who followed.

Levi & Contador should have been riding in the Tour -- but they chose the wrong director's wheel to draft behind.

tmctguer said:
the only two people Levi should be angry with is himself for following Bruyneel to Astana, and Bruyneel for convincing the Disco team that following him to Astana would ensure another great season of cycling for those who followed.

Levi & Contador should have been riding in the Tour -- but they chose the wrong director's wheel to draft behind.
I think Levi was following his pusher. Compare his Disco performance to his Gerolsteiner performance. JB had a good program....
wink.gif

i feel sorry for levi. i mean, who knows, maybe 5-10 more gc riders test positive, 5-10 more crash out, and i say he'd have a legitimate shot at the podium.

Ashley.S.Olsen said:
no. levi has a very large support base. in years to come there will be fellow american cyclists who will reference his achievements as an inspiration. sometimes we forget there is a human being under the helmet. levi is not just a cycling powerhouse machine. he is a human loved by many. those who really know him are excited just how generous and loving he is to his fellow cyclists and fans. for example he has a very large following from young men under 16.
dss