Levi wants back on Postal?

Crank Yanker

Guest
After the second climb today, Postal went to the front after a 10 man group splintered off the front
in pursuit of the 4 man break up the road. Not sure if Postal thought somebody in the 10-man group
was dangerous, was just trying to break the race-up or keep the Petacchi group, which was behind the
main peloton from rejoining, etc.

Anyway, Levi (and a DV rider, already bought by Postal this year?) was in the Postal rotation and
taking his turn. When they brought the 10-man group back, there was even a Rabobank rider in it.
Levi went on to finish a minute or so behind the main group at the finish.

It was mentioned in :

http://www.bike.com/template.asp?date=9%2F9%2F2003&lsectionnumber=15

Crank Yanker wrote:
> After the second climb today, Postal went to the front after a 10 man group splintered off the
> front in pursuit of the 4 man break up the road. Not sure if Postal thought somebody in the 10-man
> group was dangerous, was just trying to break the race-up or keep the Petacchi group, which was
> behind the main peloton from rejoining, etc.
>
> Anyway, Levi (and a DV rider, already bought by Postal this year?) was in the Postal rotation and
> taking his turn. When they brought the 10-man group back, there was even a Rabobank rider in it.
> Levi went on to finish a minute or so behind the main group at the finish.

what a naive comment or question. levi is under a longterm contract with Rabobank and is not going
back to Postal at least not for a while. Nor is Hamilton. These guys are well paid on the European
teams as well. Wishful thinking, maybe. We don't really know how good Levi is or will be--his injury
this summer was not wonderful for a career. Not like a broken collar bone! "Crank Yanker"
> After the second climb today, Postal went to the front after a 10 man group splintered off the
> front in pursuit of the 4 man break up the road. Not sure if Postal thought somebody in the 10-man
> group was dangerous, was just trying to break the race-up or keep the Petacchi group, which was
> behind the main peloton from rejoining, etc.
>
> Anyway, Levi (and a DV rider, already bought by Postal this year?) was in the Postal rotation and
> taking his turn. When they brought the 10-man group back, there was even a Rabobank rider in it.
> Levi went on to finish a minute or so behind the main group at the finish.

> what a naive comment or question. levi is under a longterm contract with Rabobank

How long? It's the end of his second year (very rare for more than a 2 year contract) and he's been
a bust. Why was Rabobank pursueing Mayo (and Basso?) if Levi is still their GT GC man?

> Wishful thinking, maybe.

How so? I don't like Postal Service very much.

> We don't really know how good Levi is or will be--his injury this summer was not wonderful for a
> career. Not like a broken collar bone!

Even when healthy he's been less than stellar (a grand total of a single stage win and the overall
at last year's Route de Sud). If Rabobank wants a guy to creep into the top-10 of the TdF they can
get that out of Boogerd. I'd say Rabobank is ready to cut their losses and go with Rasmussen or sign
a new GT GC guy. Unless you're right and he really has more than a 2 year contract?

With Levi's sub-par performance there was mention that Rabobank would be offering him less
next year.

Crank Yanker wrote:

>>what a naive comment or question. levi is under a longterm contract with Rabobank
>

> How long? It's the end of his second year (very rare for more than a 2 year contract) and he's
> been a bust. Why was Rabobank pursueing Mayo (and Basso?) if Levi is still their GT GC man?
>

>> Wishful thinking, maybe.
>

> How so? I don't like Postal Service very much.
>

>>We don't really know how good Levi is or will be--his injury this summer was not wonderful for a
>>career. Not like a broken collar bone!
>

> Even when healthy he's been less than stellar (a grand total of a single stage win and the overall
> at last year's Route de Sud). If Rabobank wants a guy to creep into the top-10 of the TdF they can
> get that out of Boogerd. I'd say Rabobank is ready to cut their losses and go with Rasmussen or
> sign a new GT GC guy. Unless you're right and he really has more than a 2 year contract?

"Dan O'Brasky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> what a naive comment or question. levi is under a longterm contract with Rabobank and is not going
> back to Postal at least not for a while. Nor is Hamilton. These guys are well paid on the European
> teams as well. Wishful thinking, maybe. We don't really know how good Levi is or will be--his
> injury this summer was not wonderful for a career. Not like a broken collar bone!

Levi's contract is up at the end of 2003. Rabobank has hinted that he's due for a pay cut
as well....