Levi wants back on Postal?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Crank Yanker, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. Crank Yanker

    Crank Yanker Guest

    After the second climb today, Postal went to the front after a 10 man group splintered off the front
    in pursuit of the 4 man break up the road. Not sure if Postal thought somebody in the 10-man group
    was dangerous, was just trying to break the race-up or keep the Petacchi group, which was behind the
    main peloton from rejoining, etc.

    Anyway, Levi (and a DV rider, already bought by Postal this year?) was in the Postal rotation and
    taking his turn. When they brought the 10-man group back, there was even a Rabobank rider in it.
    Levi went on to finish a minute or so behind the main group at the finish.

    Tags:

  2. It was mentioned in :

    http://www.bike.com/template.asp?date=9%2F9%2F2003&lsectionnumber=15

    Crank Yanker wrote:
    > After the second climb today, Postal went to the front after a 10 man group splintered off the
    > front in pursuit of the 4 man break up the road. Not sure if Postal thought somebody in the 10-man
    > group was dangerous, was just trying to break the race-up or keep the Petacchi group, which was
    > behind the main peloton from rejoining, etc.
    >
    > Anyway, Levi (and a DV rider, already bought by Postal this year?) was in the Postal rotation and
    > taking his turn. When they brought the 10-man group back, there was even a Rabobank rider in it.
    > Levi went on to finish a minute or so behind the main group at the finish.

  3. Dan O'Brasky

    Dan O'Brasky Guest

    what a naive comment or question. levi is under a longterm contract with Rabobank and is not going
    back to Postal at least not for a while. Nor is Hamilton. These guys are well paid on the European
    teams as well. Wishful thinking, maybe. We don't really know how good Levi is or will be--his injury
    this summer was not wonderful for a career. Not like a broken collar bone! "Crank Yanker"
    > After the second climb today, Postal went to the front after a 10 man group splintered off the
    > front in pursuit of the 4 man break up the road. Not sure if Postal thought somebody in the 10-man
    > group was dangerous, was just trying to break the race-up or keep the Petacchi group, which was
    > behind the main peloton from rejoining, etc.
    >
    > Anyway, Levi (and a DV rider, already bought by Postal this year?) was in the Postal rotation and
    > taking his turn. When they brought the 10-man group back, there was even a Rabobank rider in it.
    > Levi went on to finish a minute or so behind the main group at the finish.

  4. Crank Yanker

    Crank Yanker Guest

    > what a naive comment or question. levi is under a longterm contract with Rabobank

    How long? It's the end of his second year (very rare for more than a 2 year contract) and he's been
    a bust. Why was Rabobank pursueing Mayo (and Basso?) if Levi is still their GT GC man?

    > Wishful thinking, maybe.

    How so? I don't like Postal Service very much.

    > We don't really know how good Levi is or will be--his injury this summer was not wonderful for a
    > career. Not like a broken collar bone!

    Even when healthy he's been less than stellar (a grand total of a single stage win and the overall
    at last year's Route de Sud). If Rabobank wants a guy to creep into the top-10 of the TdF they can
    get that out of Boogerd. I'd say Rabobank is ready to cut their losses and go with Rasmussen or sign
    a new GT GC guy. Unless you're right and he really has more than a 2 year contract?

  5. Crank Yanker

    Crank Yanker Guest

  6. With Levi's sub-par performance there was mention that Rabobank would be offering him less
    next year.

    Crank Yanker wrote:

    >>what a naive comment or question. levi is under a longterm contract with Rabobank
    >

    > How long? It's the end of his second year (very rare for more than a 2 year contract) and he's
    > been a bust. Why was Rabobank pursueing Mayo (and Basso?) if Levi is still their GT GC man?
    >

    >> Wishful thinking, maybe.
    >

    > How so? I don't like Postal Service very much.
    >

    >>We don't really know how good Levi is or will be--his injury this summer was not wonderful for a
    >>career. Not like a broken collar bone!
    >

    > Even when healthy he's been less than stellar (a grand total of a single stage win and the overall
    > at last year's Route de Sud). If Rabobank wants a guy to creep into the top-10 of the TdF they can
    > get that out of Boogerd. I'd say Rabobank is ready to cut their losses and go with Rasmussen or
    > sign a new GT GC guy. Unless you're right and he really has more than a 2 year contract?

  7. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    "Dan O'Brasky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > what a naive comment or question. levi is under a longterm contract with Rabobank and is not going
    > back to Postal at least not for a while. Nor is Hamilton. These guys are well paid on the European
    > teams as well. Wishful thinking, maybe. We don't really know how good Levi is or will be--his
    > injury this summer was not wonderful for a career. Not like a broken collar bone!

    Levi's contract is up at the end of 2003. Rabobank has hinted that he's due for a pay cut
    as well....