lexan BC plates?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by mornish, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. mornish

    mornish Guest

    Hi, I was thinking of making some BC plates out of lexan, but I was
    wondering if anyone has tried this or if it would work. I think that if
    I use thick enough lexan it would work, but my mom didn't think so.

    --
    mornish

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."

  2. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    We've had the opportunity to play with some lexan (about tenth inch
    thick stuff) at our school. From what we've seen with the thin stuff
    is it's pretty bendy, but I'm not sure if this would be the same for
    thicker lexan (like 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick).

    My guess is it would flex too much when ridden, but it is still an
    interesting idea.

    --
    Spudman

    *| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
    *| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
    *| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . . .*X*
    <--Chosen's spot
    *| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
    *|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
    (http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
    rendered by forrest. . . . . A spot for Evan Byrne--> *X*
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  3. mawesome

    mawesome Guest

    I'm not sure it's a very good idea. It would be good for grinding, but
    if you keep grinding for too long it would start to melt and warp
    because of all the friction. Might as well give it a try though, how
    much could it cost?

    --
    mawesome

    My spleen hurts
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724

  4. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    Grindplates are made out of lexan and they don't melt when you grind
    alot.

    --
    litldude2

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com

    James_Potter wrote:
    > I think we could just apply the same cure we use for bread, to humans.
    > just scrape off the cancer with a butter knife, then put jelly on it,
    > and eat it...mmmmmm

  5. mawesome

    mawesome Guest

  6. mornish

    mornish Guest

    k, i don't think lexan is too much, I made a 1 pound battle bot out of
    it and it was pretty thick, id say at least 1/4 inch. the whole sheet
    was bendy, but I think ill try to find a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4 inch
    thick. im thiking of ataching to peices together to do it.

    miles

    ps. does anyone know where 2 buy lexan:p

    --
    mornish

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."

  7. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    mawesome wrote:
    > Edit:Wouldn't the axel turning cause a lot of friction? I'm pretty sure
    > the constant turning would warm up the plates a bit.

    Not at all, the plates are attached to the axle so the axle is not
    spinning inside them. All of that friction is in the bearings...

    --

    James_Potter wrote:
    > I think we could just apply the same cure we use for bread, to humans.
    > just scrape off the cancer with a butter knife, then put jelly on it,
    > and eat it...mmmmmm

  8. Brian O.

    Brian O. Guest

    litldude2 wrote:
    > Grindplates are made out of lexan and they don't melt when you grind
    > alot.

    So are the space shuttle windows, they certainly dont melt during
    launch or reentry.

    --
    Brian O.

  9. Lexan is very brittle, so they could not be made only out of lexan, they
    maybe could have lexan on the bottom or something (I don't know why)
    but otherwise it seems like it would not work out well, they don't make
    angle lexan as far as I know, and for a good reason.

    --
    theanswerisnt42
    theanswerisnt42's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11542

  10. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    theanswerisnt42 wrote:
    > Lexan is very brittle, so they could not be made only out of lexan, they
    > maybe could have lexan on the bottom or something (I don't know why)
    > but otherwise it seems like it would not work out well, they don't make
    > angle lexan as far as I know, and for a good reason.

    I think you are thinking of acrylic (plexiglass), which is brittle and
    does shatter. Lexan, though, is (nearly) impossible to break. You can
    bend the crap out of lexan and it will just spring back too it's
    original shape. I don't think that breakage would be an issue with
    some lexan bc plates.

    But getting an angled piece, as you said, would be very difficult. You
    can bend thinner lexan in a break without any issues, but 1/2" thick
    stuff probably needs some special treatment (like applying heat?) to
    get a nice angle on it.

    Another approach may be to just take two flat pieces and use miracle
    glue to make your own angled piece, but then you are at the mercy of a
    breakage at the joint. Maybe they could be melted together instead?
    Someone needs to do some research and try to make some of these things,
    I think it's an awesome idea!

    --
    Spudman

    *| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
    *| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
    *| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . . .*X*
    <--Chosen's spot
    *| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
    *|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
    (http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
    rendered by forrest. . . . . A spot for Evan Byrne--> *X*
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  11. mawesome

    mawesome Guest

    Lexan, acrylic, perspex and plexiglas are all the same thing just with
    different names. To get it to bend properly you would need to evenly
    apply a lot of heat (I think about 150c) for a minute or so, but to do
    this it can't be that thick because it would go all wierd at the bend.
    You could bend a thin piece and then glue some thicker bits to that. I
    would just use some thick brackets and glue the lexan to the bottom of
    it.

    --
    mawesome

    My spleen hurts
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724

  12. Loosemoose

    Loosemoose Guest

    'I don't think they are...' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan)

    Wikipedia wrote:
    > Lexan is similar to polymethyl methacrylate (Plexiglas/Lucite/Perspex) —
    > commonly described as Acrylic — in appearance, but is far more durable,
    > often to the point of being described as "bulletproof" (depending on
    > the thickness of the sample and the type of weapon used). Lexan is
    > typically used in the aerospace industry for items such as aircraft
    > canopies, windscreens and other windows, but can often be found in
    > household items, such as bottles, compact discs, and DVDs. It is also
    > one of the most common products used to make Bullet-resistant glass.

    Using 1/2" lexan you could very easily use two flat sheets, glue (using
    plastic cement that melts the surfaces together) and also drill, tap &
    bolt the two faces together as well. It'll be a strong enough material,
    if they break anywhere it'll be the join.

    Loose.

    --
    Loosemoose

    "Come on you target for far away laughter,
    come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink
    Floyd
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

  13. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

    here is one problem: grip.
    Lexan is flat plastic and if it gets wet, it will be slippery. Other
    than that it seems perfect. Maybe you could drill holes or something to
    give more grip.
    Also, Lexan is not plexiglass or acrillic. Lexan is bulletproof and
    blastproof. It also will not melt.

    --
    Eroick
    Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

  14. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    griptape.

    --

    James_Potter wrote:
    > I think we could just apply the same cure we use for bread, to humans.
    > just scrape off the cancer with a butter knife, then put jelly on it,
    > and eat it...mmmmmm

  15. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

  16. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    it's called griptape!

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Matt.
    'NEW, \"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out! BUY NOW AT
    ZAZZLE.com!' (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
    *"Water. Duck's back. Yeah."* -- GILD
    Habbywall, that-a-way -------------->':cool:'
    (http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com) Kristine is that-a-way, too.
    ----------->X
    *"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks."* lildude2 *PANIC
    BUTTON-->':eek: ' (http://www.geocities.com/abbabibble/mrtsb.html)*
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  17. giraffe

    giraffe Guest

  18. sugarloafur

    sugarloafur Guest

    Lexan can be bent with medium temperature, from a heat gun or torch.
    Just be sure that you dont heat it too much, otherwise it will boil and
    become fragile. I'm not sure how Lexan would work for BC plates...
    obviously it's softer than metal or even carbon fiber.

    --
    sugarloafur

    "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference."
    -Sir Winston Churchill

    'My Gallery' (http://207.5.233.186/gallery/)
    sugarloafur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11213

  19. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Plexiglas is acrylic. Solvents can make it brittle. Lexan is
    polycarbonate. Think football helmets. It will melt since it is a
    thermoplastic. Either material should be drilled with drills that are
    designed for cutting plastic to avoid stress cracks. A local plastic
    supply house should have some Lexan and the equipment to bend it for
    you. It seems that once the lexan has some wear it would have high
    friction. Is that desirable or a detraction? The gluing idea sounds
    appropriate.

    --
    Doug

    Ride like you stole it!
    Doug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/673

  20. mornish

    mornish Guest

    If I was to do it, which isn't too likely, I would most like take to
    flat 1/2 in. wide peices, drill holes in them, thread the holes, apply
    apoxy and screw in heavy duty screws at the joint. It isn't too likely
    that Ill do it though because im a bit short on $. If anyone wants to
    make them for me that would be fine though.:p

    Miles