LF Bike 5'8 270lbs around 200 dollars

ZeroAccess

Sep 6, 2013
I'm 5'8 and 270 lbs and will have to start biking to work (7 miles each way) and needed something immediately. So I went and purchased the Genesis Two Nine from WalMart last night and after riding home and back to work I can see it's not going to work out. I at least would like a road bike if possible. If I need to start modifying this one I will but would prefer to get something closer to what I'm looking for. I went to Wal Mart's website and saw the Genesis C700 which I understand it's a WalMart bike but I figure get this and as things break replace them? I dunno I've been looking on Craigslist and only found two bikes that would be ideal.

My limit really is around 200 dollars I can't really put much more into this at the moment. I may be able to put more into later.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Genesis-Two-Nine-Men-s-Mountain-Bike-Red-and-Black/20970499 - 220

http://www.walmart.com/ip/25-Genesis-GS-700-Men-s-Flat-Bar-Road-Bike/20658227 - 130

http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Genesis-RoadTech-Men-s-Road-Bike-Black-Red/22899845 - Also looking at
this one but haven't done any research on it. - 200

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/4044593337.html - 1984 Fuji Touring III - $190
and
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bik/4049660305.html - Puch Cavette II Road Bike - $150

Just seems like it'd be better to buy the Wal Mart bike that way if it breaks within 90 days I can just return it.

I dunno that and I already have 220 tied up with the Genesis two nine

I dunno, I'm desperately trying to research this but basically all this happened so fast and I had to have something immediately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I apologize for posting before doing enough research on my own but I'm frantic.

I am curious as to why you current bicycle, the Genesis Two Nine, will not "work out".

If you don't like your current bike, why not return it and put $400 toward something nicer?

Oh well it's a mountain bike and the front suspension just feels weird to me and I'm hoping that a road bike will be a different riding style. I could probably keep it and just upgrade the seat and be fine with it but I dunno 220 just seems like a lot to pay for a mountain bike when I need a road bike.

I'm probably just going to get the 130 dollar C700 and then take my time and find a nicer bike on Craigslist. I dunno..

Is the two nine worth keeping for commuter use?

I only have 200 total at the moment so just trying to figure out how to maximize that 200 dollars but I'm in a pinch with time right now. Thinking of just using the C700 for 30 days and find something better then return it.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroAccess .
I'm 5'8 and 270 lbs and will have to start biking to work (7 miles each way) and needed something immediately. So I went and purchased the Genesis Two Nine from WalMart last night and after riding home and back to work I can see it's not going to work out. I at least would like a road bike if possible. If I need to start modifying this one I will but would prefer to get something closer to what I'm looking for. I went to Wal Mart's website and saw the Genesis C700 which I understand it's a WalMart bike but I figure get this and as things break replace them? I dunno I've been looking on Craigslist and only found two bikes that would be ideal.

My limit really is around 200 dollars I can't really put much more into this at the moment. I may be able to put more into later.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Genesis-Two-Nine-Men-s-Mountain-Bike-Red-and-Black/20970499 - 220

http://www.walmart.com/ip/25-Genesis-GS-700-Men-s-Flat-Bar-Road-Bike/20658227 - 130

http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Genesis-RoadTech-Men-s-Road-Bike-Black-Red/22899845 - Also looking at
this one but haven't done any research on it. - 200

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/4044593337.html - 1984 Fuji Touring III - $190
and
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bik/4049660305.html - Puch Cavette II Road Bike - $150

Just seems like it'd be better to buy the Wal Mart bike that way if it breaks within 90 days I can just return it.

I dunno that and I already have 220 tied up with the Genesis two nine

I dunno, I'm desperately trying to research this but basically all this happened so fast and I had to have something immediately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I apologize for posting before doing enough research on my own but I'm frantic.

Is the front suspension the only thing which you really don't like about the bike?

Can you lock-out the front suspension?

Are you handy enough to do any DIY work on the bike?

Is there anything else (e.g., the bike's hefty weight?) that makes the bike which you bought unsatisfactory?

I think that I'm pretty open minded about bikes, but the Genesis RoadTech bike is probably one I would NOT buy just because 'I' would be inclined to change almost all of the components sooner rather than later ... so, I would be looking for a more versatile frame ... like the 29" Genesis bike which you bought.

I just thought that for commuting 15 miles each day a road bike would be easier for me than a mtn bike. I have to wait a week for the C700 to show up so for now I'll continue using the two nine and just see how it goes.

The gears are pretty loud and shifting is a little rough. It was slipping out of gear a little when going up hills and what not (not a real heavy load just popping out). I figured most of this was due to not having someone adjust everything properly.

My wrist were a little sore but I think it's because my seat is too high right now so I'll spend some time this weekend tinkering with it and see if maybe I can get it more comfortable for me. Will the tires wear out faster since they have tread on them?

I'll take a closer look of the bike over the weekend.

I know I want to replace the seat but I'll do that on either bike more than likely.

Unless you score a used road bike, 650ish will be what it takes to get into an entry level road bike of any quality from a real bike shop that can properly size you into a bike. With your limited funds if it were me, I would take your current bike to a local bike shop (LBS) and have them go over the shifters and deraillers, cables and try and dial them in a bit better and also install some MTB road slick tires that can be inflated to 80 psi. It should cost you under 100 and you'll end up better off than chasing your tail with other cheap bikes. With those tires it will roll at LOT better. Also even real cheap detailers will work fine hen new and adjusted. Also you being a big man will have to expend more energy on any bike. By commuting, you will have an easier time at it over time and lost weight. I was in your same delimma 2 months ago with needing to use a bike to commute plus my health was not doing well (overweight and blood pressure. Now iv'e lost 18 pounds so far and BP is back to normal. I did have more to spend though. I bought a new Trek 1.5 roady. $1250 which is cheap by todays standards. My commute is 27 miles a day.

Ok I swear I don't mean to be difficult but what about returning the mtn bike and getting
http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=2391

It looks like a good deal and may be a better platform than what I'm currently on for the same price

Sorry I seem to indecisive just want to try and maximize what little money I have.

No matter what I'll take the bike to a shop and have them tune everything as everywhere I've read that just seems to be the correct thing to do.

Im sure if the bike arrives undamaged and the components are in good working order, the bike will work fine for a 200. bike. Expect on a road bike with 700c wheels it will roll better than an MTB but also will ride firmer. Also the riding position will not be as upright. The bike may have more potential than the mountain bike, just understand the risks associated in mail order bikes and setting the bike up when you get it. Also with those road wheels you will need to check the pressure at least weekly and keep them inflated properly. The mountain bike tires will be a bit less finicky but won't roll as well unless you opt for slick road tires for the mountain bike. They give a descent ride with descent rolling resistance. I'm sure either bike will do the job. You comfort while seated on the bike is more important than any other factor. If you are not comfortable, it just won't work out. Either bike performance wise will be similar if you ditch the current tires on the mountain bike. You will only get so much out of any 200. bike.

I just thought that for commuting 15 miles each day a road bike would be easier for me than a mtn bike. I have to wait a week for the C700 to show up so for now I'll continue using the two nine and just see how it goes.

The gears are pretty loud and shifting is a little rough. It was slipping out of gear a little when going up hills and what not (not a real heavy load just popping out). I figured most of this was due to not having someone adjust everything properly.

My wrist were a little sore but I think it's because my seat is too high right now so I'll spend some time this weekend tinkering with it and see if maybe I can get it more comfortable for me. Will the tires wear out faster since they have tread on them?

I'll take a closer look of the bike over the weekend.

I know I want to replace the seat but I'll do that on either bike more than likely.

FYI. Most of what you will need to know to adjust the derailleurs can be found at www.parktool.com + YouTube ...
There is an advantage to the DROP handlebars typically found on Road bikes because you can move your hands to different positions ... but, BAR ENDS which can be clamped on the ends vary from straight to the equivalent of the "drop" part of a Road handlebar. You could always add a set of DROP handlebars + shifters + handlebar tape for under $200 if you are a wise shopper ... more if you don't want to be a wise shopper OR if you want to spend more, of course.
Depending on the size of the rims on your bike, you may be able to use 700x28 tires & tubes which you should find will change the way the bike rides ... If the bike's current rims are ~1" wide (outside of the braking surface to the outside of the braking surface) or if it says '622-19' somewhere on the rim then you may have to look for 700x30-32 tires & tubes ... but, 700x28 may work.

You could always buy a second set of wheels which have 622-15 or 622-17 (bead-to-bead) rims through eBay ... for ~$100 if you are a wise shopper ... more if you aren't OR if you want to spend more money, of course.
Yes, returning the bike is an option ... The particular bikeisland.com bike doesn't really appear too much better than the Genesis RoadTech bike at about the same price. Regardless, the ONE available size probably isn't the best size for you.

I'm 5'8 and I thought the 55cm was the exact size I needed? According to the charts I was looking at online.

You all have given me a lot to work with and I just need to sit back and think about it.

Thanks again for all of your answers and help.

I'm 5'8 and I thought the 55cm was the exact size I needed? According to the charts I was looking at online.

You all have given me a lot to work with and I just need to sit back and think about it.

Thanks again for all of your answers and help.

Based on MY observation, FRAME size is partially cosmetic & subject to the fashion of the day + one's own aesthetic sensibilities ...

So, decades ago, when it was an accepted norm, I rolled my then-new 60cm Gitane out the LBS door & rode home. I'm 5'9" tall.

• Due to the slack seat tube angle, the equivalent frame size was probably closer to a 58cm frame. THAT's still pretty large by today's sizing standards.
  • Here is how a 58cm bike that I had (set up for me, of course) ...

BTW. The 1984 Fuji Touring III bike has a massive 64cm frame which would be great if you know a frame builder or if you know how to weld because you would need to remove about 4.5" out of both the seat tube & head tube + shorten the seat stays, accordingly.

The Puch Cavette II is handicapped with 27" wheels (nothing particularly wrong with that, but they appear to be STEEL rims ...) & a cottered crankset ... two items which you would eventually want to replace.

• Here is how a bike with a frame which has a 55cm top tube (which is approximately what he top tube length will be on the 55.5cm frame which is being sold by Bike Island) looks as I have it set up for me (110mm stem) ...

Of course, YOUR proportions & desired-or-ideal riding position won't be the same, so scaling down by an incremental amount would only be used as a point of reference for you ...

But, because the stem on the 55.5cm Bike Island bike is spec'd at 110mm. You might want-to-or-need-to change it.

The problem which I have with BOTH the Bike Island bike + the WalMart "Road" bike is that they both use comparatively antiquated "Quill" stems rather than a threadless stems/headset/fork ...

There is nothing wrong, per se, with "Quill" stems & 1" threaded forks EXCEPT that their relatively antiquated style means that future amendments to the bike are limited ...

And so, the Walmart Flatbar bike (at $130) which has a threadless fork/headset/stem with a presumably 1 1/8" fork would be the way to go if there is any intention on keeping the bike for more than a couple of seasons ...

BUT, as previously suggested, your current bike can be easily converted for a better "road" experience by simply changing to tires which are better suited to pavement than the off-road tires which your 29er bike currently has.

----​

There is NOTHING SACRED about a bike frame (unless it was ridden by Jacques Anquetil, Fausto Coppi, Eddie Merckx, and a few other riders) even though many people seem to think that there is ...

It seems that people who lack imagination are limited in the changes made to the components on their bikes.

Here is a "sports touring" bike (sans fenders ... that's undoubtedly what qualified it in the "sports" category!) which I have which is capable of handling 700x52 (29er) tires if fenders are not mounted that is pictured (below) with really skinny Road tires:
Cosmetically, it probably offends some people's aesthetic sensibilities ... I'm okay with it.

Of course, if your aesthetic sensibilities would find smaller tires (not as small, mind you) preclude your using a different tire size, then you may want to consider a different bike ... BUT, you probably want a bike whose frame can handle a 700x28 tire ... most Road frames probably are still limited to 700x25 tires.

IMO, a 700x28-or-larger tire would probably be better for someone who is your current weight.

The tires used on Hybrid bikes are typically larger (700x42 +/-) and might be another consideration ...

Again, the rim width on your current wheels will be the limitation with regard to the tire sizes which you can use.

FYI. Here is a MTB Hardtail (26" wheels) frame set up with Drop handlebars & Road crankset ... the particular suspension fork has almost zero functionality & its carbon fiber lowers (!) barely makes heavier than a rigid steel fork ...
And, here is a different 26" Hardtail frame set up with a rigid Road fork + 700c wheels & Drop handlebars ...

So, if your aesthetic sensibilities can handle smaller tires on your current bike AND if you can (hopefully) lock-out the front fork, then I recommend you opt for 700x28 or 700x32 tires & tubes (which you would probably want even if you bought one of the other bikes you have been considering or any other possible bikes which you may come across) ... and, if you do look at other bikes then you REALLY need to be aware of the maximum tire size & exclude bikes whose frame & fork cannot handle at least a 700x28 tire.

Reactions: ZeroAccess
Can't believe how helpful the cycling community is. I've decided to wait till I get paid Friday and invest a total of 400 dollars into this. I'm realizing that if I spend a little more now and get a decent used road bike I could potentially use this for a while and enjoy it. Other than my butt hurting I really did enjoy riding to and back from work.

I wouldn't mind doing it more often if for no other reason the enjoyment.

I found a few bikes on craigslist and some fellow cyclers in Atlanta that are trying to help me out. If I raised my limit to 400 it actually opened a lot of options for me.

I feel like I've already asked everyone here so much and I'm sure I'll ask more questions I just feel that I now have a week to do more research and educate myself more. I'll continue to use the MTN bike in the mean time and go from there.

I found a few on craigslist I really like and have been calling and just asking the people point blank what there thoughts are and so far I've had two people tell me NOT to buy their bikes as it would be a good fit and they helped/directed me to other craigslist ads that they thought may be more beneficial.

I've never had that happen before and just wanted to express my gratitude to the entire community.

I look forward to losing weight, getting healthier, and joining a great community.