Liège-Bastogne-Liège

limerickman said:
Weather conditions for LBL will influence the podium.

I'll await the MET report for LBL before applying the Kiss of Death.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Cunego might just do something again - assuming he starts of course.
He's going really well.
There is going to be some pretty nice weather in Belgium this weekend with sunny spells and temperatures reaching 21-22C. However, a cold front looks set to move through at some time later on Sunday bringing showery bursts of rain. The current timing looks like this will be at some point in the late afternoon. At this stage this means that it could either be dry through the whole race or that it could end with heavy showers.

Anticyclone said:
There is going to be some pretty nice weather in Belgium this weekend with sunny spells and temperatures reaching 21-22C. However, a cold front looks set to move through at some time later on Sunday bringing showery bursts of rain. The current timing looks like this will be at some point in the late afternoon. At this stage this means that it could either be dry through the whole race or that it could end with heavy showers.

Thanks for the weather update, Anti.

Should be a dry race with sunny spells although cloud will tend to increase as the race goes on. Temperature of about 21C (70F).

Anticyclone said:
Should be a dry race with sunny spells although cloud will tend to increase as the race goes on. Temperature of about 21C (70F).
You came up with your handle because you're a meteorologist aren't you, AC? Either that or you're the "AC" in the OP docs... :cool:

I'm going to jinx Drongo's pick by copying it. Gesink.

Valverde gets it! Good call Anticyclone! Rebellin and Frank Schleck podium. I felt a bit bad for Rebellin since he was doing most of the work in the front group of three in the last few km. What happened to Cunego? He was in the group with Evans chasing the front group, and then he seemed to disappear...

TheDarkLord said:
He was in the group with Evans chasing the front group, and then he seemed to disappear...
he complained of cramps and pretty much gave it away...not bothering to fight it out for a top 10 or anything. came in 30th.

(and no jokes about Italian surrenders....)

Bro Deal said:
Looks like Valverde is back to his 2006 form. The TdF will be very interesting.
Yes and he's said that his only at 80 or 90% right now since his goals are later in the season. We're in for a very interesting TdF, Olympics and Worlds.
I really like Valverde as a rider despite his puerto connections, he's actually one of my favourite riders.

Interesting to see the Schleck brothers. Frank wasn't able to capitalize on Andy's sacrifice. In the end they came in 3 and 4.

Cobblestones said:
Interesting to see the Schleck brothers. Frank wasn't able to capitalize on Andy's sacrifice. In the end they came in 3 and 4.
Yeah they got it all wrong as neither one of them could afford to come to the line with either Rebellin or Valverde without being outsprinted. Hindsight being 20/20 they should have waited until after the final climb to one/two 'em in the hopes of either getting away solo or at least bettering the long odds in the sprint against both.

Once Frank couldn't drop them on the hill it was all done. Although he should have attacked them in the run-in (did he try once?) and hoped they looked at either too long to close him down.

Cobblestones said:
I'm not sure I see Andy's move as a sacrifice. It may have been in part a gamble to see if he could get away from the other three. Also, after Andy had blown himself, Frank did try to attack a couple of times during the final climb, but couldn't shake Rebellin and Valverde. After that, it was clear that he didn't have that much strength left since he stuck to the back of the pack.

Wayne666 said:
Yeah they got it all wrong as neither one of them could afford to come to the line with either Rebellin or Valverde without being outsprinted. Hindsight being 20/20 they should have waited until after the final climb to one/two 'em in the hopes of either getting away solo or at least bettering the long odds in the sprint against both.

Once Frank couldn't drop them on the hill it was all done. Although he should have attacked them in the run-in (did he try once?) and hoped they looked at either too long to close him down.
Didn't they try to get Valverde and Rebellin to use their energy to try and catch Andy? And I think they succeeded in the latter part but not in the energy-wasting thing. When you aren't as strong as the opponent one of the only things to do is try to tire them and that's what the pair tried, or so I heard. I didn't see the race myself (except the final sprint). It could have worked if Andy had been able to ride a liiitle bit faster.

Do you remember Flanders? Quickstep put Devolder on the attack to make the guys drag Boonen to the line and tire themselves. But in that case the option B worked out and Devolder had enough energy to drive himself to victory and the chasers couldn't get organised enough.