Liège-Bastogne-Liège

RdBiker said:
Didn't they try to get Valverde and Rebellin to use their energy to try and catch Andy?
Like I said, hindsight is 20/20. Obviously it wasn't the "right" tactic as they ended up 3rd and 4th out of 4 riders. Andy Schleck may have been dropped anyway on the final climb even if he hadn't gone on the attack, so who knows.

They'd be tactical genius' today, if Frank had dropped the other two on the final climb and soloed in for the win :)

He was sixth last year, LL and AC won't be racing so that's fourth. Plus he's on much better form, and concentrating on the TdF so I reckon podium finish for Valverde this year.

Eldrack said:
He was sixth last year, LL and AC won't be racing so that's fourth. Plus he's on much better form, and concentrating on the TdF so I reckon podium finish for Valverde this year.
How much better form is he on? He came second last year in the LBL and that was because Di luca had slipped away. Valverde sprinted clear from his group in the last kilometre

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/apr07/lbl07/?id=results

You could claim that based on this race his form is fairly similar to last year. His result was relatively better in the Amstel Gold race this year though. Last year he made the winning group but Schumacher raced away. Valverde finished sixth although if you take away the names of Kessler and Di Luca for drug reasons and Boogerd because he has retired then i suppose his performance looks a bit better.

Does anyone know what form Andy Schleck is right now? I mean is he peaking for the Giro and try to produce an equally impressive performance as last year or does he have other goals.

RdBiker said:
Does anyone know what form Andy Schleck is right now? I mean is he peaking for the Giro and try to produce an equally impressive performance as last year or does he have other goals.

A-Schlek is not riding the Giro this year. He wanted to do well in the classics then have a crack at the Tour. He looks good. Just needs to mature. He's a marked man now. Frank or Andy should have won Liege. I mean with two of them in the final break they should have done better. However they both attacked and put Valverde in a lot of trouble. What can you do if you can't sprint ? Andy will win the Tour 28 times before he's 29.

TheDarkLord said:
Valverde gets it! Good call Anticyclone!
Cheers, i just loked at the results from the previous week and took out the people who raced in mid-week. Wish it was always that easy.

TheDarkLord said:
Rebellin and Frank Schleck podium. I felt a bit bad for Rebellin since he was doing most of the work in the front group of three in the last few km. What happened to Cunego? He was in the group with Evans chasing the front group, and then he seemed to disappear...
Suffered from cramps apparently and took it easy.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/apr08/apr28news2

Must be slightly worrying for his Tour ambitions if he is struggling in the heat in April!