Liberty pulls plug on sponsorship

Lonnie Utah said:
Nothing really to say but WOW! Poor Vino. Maybe Disco can sweep him up as the Tour GC contender they do not have.

http://velonews.com/news/fea/9913.0.html

I like Vino but have never felt that he has the consistency to be a GC contender. He is quite an animal on the bike.
My sources tell me that Phonak may end sponsorship of their team after this season.
Around 17 million a year I believe.
Lots of opportunity for somone that wants to call the shots and has the green.

Lonnie Utah said:
Nothing really to say but WOW! Poor Vino. Maybe Disco can sweep him up as the Tour GC contender they do not have.

http://velonews.com/news/fea/9913.0.html
Bruyneel has always said Vino would not win the Tour and will not hire him.
Now, Vino will be seen as radioactive and no team with half a PR brain would hire him. No way Disco hires him. He is a PR nightmare.

Lets recall that the sponsors, with some exceptions, are not cycling fanatics. They are businessmen with money invested. Vino would only help a small struggling team in the ProTour mix at this point. None of the big teams will touch Vino until he is completely exonerated.

Why do you say poor Vino BTW?
You are assuming, against the face of clear evidence that his DS is guilty as sin, that he is not invilved.
Perhaps THIS is why Bruyneel didnt hire him BTW.
Foks in the peloton know whose on the stuff and who isnt.

It ok as team has licence for proTour but no sponser. Other sponder will help team owner actvve bay. same riders and same staff. vino ride but new team name. it not long before bussness man pays just for france tour.

bobke said:
Bruyneel has always said Vino would not win the Tour and will not hire him.
Now, Vino will be seen as radioactive and no team with half a PR brain would hire him. No way Disco hires him. He is a PR nightmare.

Lets recall that the sponsors, with some exceptions, are not cycling fanatics. They are businessmen with money invested. Vino would only help a small struggling team in the ProTour mix at this point. None of the big teams will touch Vino until he is completely exonerated.

You are assuming, against the face of clear evidence that his DS is guilty as sin, that he is not invilved.
Perhaps THIS is why Bruyneel didnt hire him BTW.
Foks in the peloton know whose on the stuff and who isnt.

bobke said:
Because my tounge was stuck in my cheek. I was joking and making a back handed insult at discovery (ie the disocvery in disaray thread). I know they couldn't and wouldn't hire him. Geeze guys, I'm not that stupid!! ;)

L

Lonnie Utah said:
Because my tounge was stuck in my cheek. I was joking and making a back handed insult at discovery (ie the disocvery in disaray thread). I know they couldn't and wouldn't hire him. Geeze guys, I'm not that stupid!! ;)

L
You had us going there for a minute LU. :D

bobke -- you are a fool. they are all on a mix of PE's that would make your average bodybuilder blanche. Even your precious Discovery boys. Perhaps *especially* your precious Discovery boys.

Catabolic_Jones said:
bobke -- you are a fool. they are all on a mix of PE's that would make your average bodybuilder blanche. Even your precious Discovery boys. Perhaps *especially* your precious Discovery boys.
perhaps the disco boys? i'm surprised that you'd say perhaps after you just indicted the entire peleton....with evidence, anecdotal or otherwise i'm sure. :rolleyes:

Catabolic_Jones said:
Why a fool? and why resort to name calling?

Even if, as you suggest, Disco riders are doped to the gills, why bring on someone under a high level of suspcion since that will only target the team MORE.
nd from a sponsorship point of view, its all business.
Vino and LS are radioactive at this point and Disco would be crazy to hire anyone from that team.
I think they even have a formal policy against hiring anyone underinvestigation but whatever.

bobke said:
Why a fool? and why resort to name calling?

Even if, as you suggest, Disco riders are doped to the gills, why bring on someone under a high level of suspcion since that will only target the team MORE.
nd from a sponsorship point of view, its all business.
Vino and LS are radioactive at this point and Disco would be crazy to hire anyone from that team.
I think they even have a formal policy against hiring anyone underinvestigation but whatever.
Come on bobke, let's wait until he is convicted before we string him up. I understand that it looks bad for him. But looking bad and being guilty are not always the same.

I also understand that he would have to be cleared before Disco should consider hiring him. But Disco is a team without a head. Vino is a better GT rider than anything they currently have. Even if he is not much of a team guy, he might still be an asset. The only thing that would be better is if they could sign Contador. Of course Contador has the same big "if" hanging over his head as Vino.

Unfortunately I don't see any up and coming Americans that can take the lead for DC. There were no unknown standouts in the Tour of Georgia for example.

saluki said:
Come on bobke, let's wait until he is convicted before we string him up. I understand that it looks bad for him. But looking bad and being guilty are not always the same.

I also understand that he would have to be cleared before Disco should consider hiring him. But Disco is a team without a head. Vino is a better GT rider than anything they currently have. Even if he is not much of a team guy, he might still be an asset. The only thing that would be better is if they could sign Contador. Of course Contador has the same big "if" hanging over his head as Vino.

Unfortunately I don't see any up and coming Americans that can take the lead for DC. There were no unknown standouts in the Tour of Georgia for example.
I am not stringing Vino up. I think he is a cool rider. I don't necessarily think he is guilty.
I do think his reputation, rightly or wrongly, is now tarnished and his PR value is RADIOACTIVE.
Cofidis can ill afford to bring him on after David Millar.
Disco never wanted him anyway...and BTW dont count out Popovych.
T-Mobile was eager to get rid of him especially after he road solo against Ullrich last year.
CSC? not
Bouygues T, perhaps

but who would want to risk it????
he is at the end or close to his career, right?

a second tier Frnech team, maybe because I think the Tour officials like Vino and he has a fFrench team pedigree
But recall 1999, the Tdf reserves the right to refuse anyone whose behavior or reputation threatens the good of the race, and that loophole can extend to Vino ....we'll see.

Vinos to good a rider for him to be completely ignored by the other teams. quick step havnt got a gc contender for the tdf so maybe there would be a possible destination, hes also handy in the classics which quick step would like.

He wont go back to t=mobile after the way jan chased him down last year in the tour, man lance must have been chuckling that day!:D

i agree that someone could easily step in with the money to back liberty.

surely liberty's spot could be offered to any non pro tour team as well.

I think its safe to say that vino was one of the most animated riders in last years tour, so for the organizers to not look for a way to include him would be stupid on their part unless more information arises regarding his involvement with the doping scandal.