lickton's gets no more business from me!

walter

Guest
i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
alot, but whatever.

receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
turtle and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.

i understand shipping has labour costs, material costs, etc. but a
631% markup is ludicrous, so wrote an unpleasant email to their
customer-support address saying i thought it was ludicrous and that if
they charge a premium for shipping, they should at least use some sort
of premium class of expedited shipping (i.e., postal priority, fedex
ground, ups). also told them that i'd share my experiences on the
online forums i frequent. clearly not the best tack to take, but i was
tired and grumpy after a +3hr ride as i hadnt eaten yet. but whatever.

their reply was, ahem, perhaps even more unkind with a load of
rationalization and justification. and further try to justify that
because they need to subsidize the shipping costs on kryptonite locks.

hmmm...lemme seee here: shipping a 20gram lockring...walk over to the
bin, pick it out, stuff envelope, print out invoice/label, stick to
envelop, print out postage, drop in mailbox. i do that all the time
and it takes me a minute or two.

clearly, these guys are running a crappy shop and in over their heads
if they seriously believe a they can justify such a huge markup on the
basis of time and materials. and this douchebag "curt" is a jackass
who knows nothing at all about customer service.

walter

Get a grip, Walter. Did you know shipping is about more than the
actual
cost. It's about the time and materials, also? Did you know it
actually takes more time to process a small item than a large item?

Shipping is not a profit center, at least it's not in this store. If
you compare our shipping rates you will find out we're pretty darn
competitive. Try this: buy a Kryptonite New York U-Lock from us. You
won't hear us crying that it costs us more to ship than we charge for
shipping. Sorry to offend you, but your rant was far more offensive
than my reply. --Curt at Lickton's

On Apr 21, 1:23 pm, walter <[email protected]> wrote:
> i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
> alot, but whatever.
>
> receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
> turtle and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.
>
> i understand shipping has labour costs, material costs, etc. but a
> 631% markup is ludicrous, so wrote an unpleasant email to their
> customer-support address saying i thought it was ludicrous and that if
> they charge a premium for shipping, they should at least use some sort
> of premium class of expedited shipping (i.e., postal priority, fedex
> ground, ups). also told them that i'd share my experiences on the
> online forums i frequent. clearly not the best tack to take, but i was
> tired and grumpy after a +3hr ride as i hadnt eaten yet. but whatever.
>
> their reply was, ahem, perhaps even more unkind with a load of
> rationalization and justification. and further try to justify that
> because they need to subsidize the shipping costs on kryptonite locks.
>
> hmmm...lemme seee here: shipping a 20gram lockring...walk over to the
> bin, pick it out, stuff envelope, print out invoice/label, stick to
> envelop, print out postage, drop in mailbox. i do that all the time
> and it takes me a minute or two.
>
> clearly, these guys are running a crappy shop and in over their heads
> if they seriously believe a they can justify such a huge markup on the
> basis of time and materials. and this douchebag "curt" is a jackass
> who knows nothing at all about customer service.
>
> walter

Have you never purchased anything by mail order before?

Like he says, get a grip. Could you have bought the part for less
locally? I doubt it.

walter wrote:

> i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
> alot, but whatever.
>
> receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
> turtle and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.

So how much would you charge to provide an envelope or box and packing
materials as applicable, print an invoice, address the package, verify
its contents, seal the package, deliver it to your local shipper, and
assume responsibility for screwing up any of the above?

I'd charge _at least_ five bucks for that, and that's assuming I
already had other business at the post office.

The five bucks you resent so badly probably saved you that much in gas
and an hour and a half of your time to make a special trip to your
LBS. I think of MO shipping as a bargain compared to making my own
trip to a storefront outside the neighborhood.

LIfe is too short to spend it fighting with people over non-issues.
So you paid Lickton's a fiver to bring you the part so you didn't have
to go get it yourself. What's the problem with that?

Chalo

"walter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
> alot, but whatever.

<<snip>

> clearly, these guys are running a crappy shop and in over their heads
> if they seriously believe a they can justify such a huge markup on the
> basis of time and materials. and this douchebag "curt" is a jackass
> who knows nothing at all about customer service.
>
> walter

Dear Walter,

Your LBS thanks you for taking your petty, penny pinching purchase to
mailorder.

P.S. How much of the shipping charge was offset by savings in sales tax?

How many LBS's even have the part you need. They say "we can order
it". Well so can I and have it sent right to my home. The OP is
right- he was ripped off. Two bucks for envelope and label + the $1
shipping would be fair. I doubt they are selling the part at cost!!

walter said:
[...]

I charge $6 or $7 for USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope that has $4.60 postage on it... basically for time and materials to handle the order.
I still have "customers" who think that I charge too much. Oh well!

> How many LBS's even have the part you need. They say "we can order
> it". Well so can I and have it sent right to my home. The OP is
> right- he was ripped off. Two bucks for envelope and label + the $1
> shipping would be fair. I doubt they are selling the part at cost!!

Why would they sell the part at cost?

In article
<8133a16f-d4ab-4820-a013-5850e8875176@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
walter <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

Multi-posting twit.

--
Michael Press

In article
<f733a2a5-2b5b-47dc-99d6-e61979cb55a3@t63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> walter wrote:
> >
> > i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
> > alot, but whatever.
> >
> > receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
> > turtle and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.

> So how much would you charge to provide an envelope or box and packing
> materials as applicable, print an invoice, address the package, verify
> its contents, seal the package, deliver it to your local shipper, and
> assume responsibility for screwing up any of the above?
>
> I'd charge _at least_ five bucks for that, and that's assuming I
> already had other business at the post office.
>
> The five bucks you resent so badly probably saved you that much in gas
> and an hour and a half of your time to make a special trip to your
> LBS. I think of MO shipping as a bargain compared to making my own
> trip to a storefront outside the neighborhood.
>
> LIfe is too short to spend it fighting with people over non-issues.
> So you paid Lickton's a fiver to bring you the part so you didn't have
> to go get it yourself. What's the problem with that?

Chalo, you owe the multi-poster nothing.

--
Michael Press

On Apr 22, 6:23 am, walter <[email protected]> wrote:
> i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
> alot, but whatever.
>
> receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
> turtle and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.
>
> i understand shipping has labour costs, material costs, etc. but a
> 631% markup is ludicrous, so wrote an unpleasant email to their
> customer-support address saying i thought it was ludicrous and that if
> they charge a premium for shipping, they should at least use some sort
> of premium class of expedited shipping (i.e., postal priority, fedex
> ground, ups). also told them that i'd share my experiences on the
> online forums i frequent. clearly not the best tack to take, but i was
> tired and grumpy after a +3hr ride as i hadnt eaten yet. but whatever.
>
> their reply was, ahem, perhaps even more unkind with a load of
> rationalization and justification. and further try to justify that
> because they need to subsidize the shipping costs on kryptonite locks.
>
> hmmm...lemme seee here: shipping a 20gram lockring...walk over to the
> bin, pick it out, stuff envelope, print out invoice/label, stick to
> envelop, print out postage, drop in mailbox. i do that all the time
> and it takes me a minute or two.
>
> clearly, these guys are running a crappy shop and in over their heads
> if they seriously believe a they can justify such a huge markup on the
> basis of time and materials. and this douchebag "curt" is a jackass
> who knows nothing at all about customer service.
>
> walter

Walter, what is the name of your business (so I can blacklist it for
being run by a nong like you)?

Donga

I've used Lickton's for years and have gotten good prices and good service.
Anyone will occasionally have a problem getting a part in but they've been
pretty proactive in notifying me and asking if I want the partial order
shipped. Bob can seem a little "cranky" at times but he's a standup guy
and I can't imagine dealing with the public on the phone all day.
Lyle

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:23:51 -0700 (PDT), walter <[email protected]>
wrote:
>i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
>alot, but whatever.
>
>receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
>turtle and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.
>
>i understand shipping has labour costs, material costs, etc. but a
>631% markup is ludicrous, so wrote an unpleasant email to their
>customer-support address saying i thought it was ludicrous and that if
>they charge a premium for shipping, they should at least use some sort
>of premium class of expedited shipping (i.e., postal priority, fedex
>ground, ups). also told them that i'd share my experiences on the
>online forums i frequent.

Clearly they needed to mark the part up $10 to cover their costs of
changing from a shipping cost per order total to weighing everything
and charging you for actual shipping, plus $5 per order to cover
handling.

Twit.

I guess it's time for me to quit stalling and order the stuff from
Lickton's I've been dithering over. Quality goods, good service.

Pat
Email address works as is.

In article <8133a16f-d4ab-4820-a013-
[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
>alot, but whatever.
>
>receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
>turtle and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.
>
>i understand shipping has labour costs, material costs, etc. but a
>631% markup is ludicrous, so wrote an unpleasant email to their
>customer-support address saying i thought it was ludicrous and that if
>they charge a premium for shipping, they should at least use some sort
>of premium class of expedited shipping (i.e., postal priority, fedex
>ground, ups). also told them that i'd share my experiences on the
>online forums i frequent. clearly not the best tack to take, but i was
>tired and grumpy after a +3hr ride as i hadnt eaten yet. but whatever.
>
>their reply was, ahem, perhaps even more unkind with a load of
>rationalization and justification. and further try to justify that
>because they need to subsidize the shipping costs on kryptonite locks.
>
>hmmm...lemme seee here: shipping a 20gram lockring...walk over to

the
>bin, pick it out, stuff envelope, print out invoice/label, stick to
>envelop, print out postage, drop in mailbox. i do that all the time
>and it takes me a minute or two.
>
>clearly, these guys are running a crappy shop and in over their heads
>if they seriously believe a they can justify such a huge markup on the
>basis of time and materials. and this douchebag "curt" is a jackass
>who knows nothing at all about customer service.
>
>walter

I've ordered from Lickton's several times if they have what I need at good
prices. Very straight up place and they state their shipping charges right
up front. Silly to complain when its all in bold print.