lickton's gets no more business from me!

In article <[email protected]>,
SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

> Another item I've found at Lickton's are the elusive Ciussi Elite VIP
> Universal Cage Mount. He charges $7.95. Harris Cyclery charges $15.95
> for the same item. It's a very unique item not found in any bicycle

^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't resist.

--
Michael Press

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:25:38 -0700 (PDT), walter <[email protected]>
wrote:

>i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
>alot, but whatever.
>
>receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
>turtle...and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.
>
>i understand shipping has labour costs, material costs, etc. but a
>631% markup is ludicrous, so wrote an unpleasant email to their
>customer-support address saying i thought it was ludicrous and that if
>they charge a premium for shipping, they should at least use some sort
>of premium class of expedited shipping (i.e., postal priority, fedex
>ground, ups). also told them that i'd share my experiences on the
>online forums i frequent. clearly not the best tack to take, but i was
>tired and grumpy after a +3hr ride as i hadnt eaten yet. but whatever.
>
>their reply was, ahem, perhaps even more unkind with a load of
>rationalization and justification. and further try to justify that
>because they need to subsidize the shipping costs on kryptonite locks.
>
>hmmm...lemme seee here: shipping a 20gram lockring...walk over to the
>bin, pick it out, stuff envelope, print out invoice/label, stick to
>envelop, print out postage, drop in mailbox. i do that all the time
>and it takes me a minute or two.
>
>clearly, these guys are running a crappy shop and in over their heads
>if they seriously believe a they can justify such a huge markup on the
>basis of time and materials. and this douchebag "curt" is a jackass
>who knows nothing at all about customer service.
>
>walter

Lickton's Rocks man.

I ordered some fenders for my bike and they not only shipped them FAST
they shipped them for a very reasonable rate. And the price of the
fenders were cheaper than anybody else! Great store!

I remember once I ordered some Decals for my Surly Pacer from another
well known online bike store (Alfred E. Bike) and I emailed them
before placing the order and asked if they would charge me half of the
shipping $6.00 because the order was so light and small. They
agreed with a smile. Another fine online store in my opinion. So
sometimes you have to ask.

Fritz

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

>> [...}

>> It's a very unique item not found in any bicycle

^^^^^^^^^^^

> I can't resist.

I'm with you on that one. (My father used to rant -- or maybe just vent a
bit -- on that old malt liquor ad calling it a "completely unique"
experience. Drilled into my pea brain.)

Bill "that and 'irregardless'" S.

"Bill Sornson" wrote: (clip) that old malt liquor ad calling it a
"completely unique"
> experience (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In the same category: "In order to form a *more perfect* union."

A few of my favorites: "I have a friend of mine." "I own my own home."
"hot water heater,"

ZBicyclist schrieb:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> My goodness, do you go into a restaraunt and complain that they
>> shouldn't be charging $6 for a salad that has .50 worth of vegetables
>> or whatever in it? How is that different?

> One hopes the waitress is more attractive than Robert Lickton. ;)
>
> Another example is medicine.
>
> Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."
>
> Doctor: "Don't do that."
>
> That will cost you upwards of $50.

No, only 10 ¤. Maybe it costs social security the equivalent of $50, but
I doubt it.

Jens Müller wrote:
> ZBicyclist schrieb:
>> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>> My goodness, do you go into a restaraunt and complain that they
>>> shouldn't be charging $6 for a salad that has .50 worth of
>>> vegetables or whatever in it? How is that different?

>> One hopes the waitress is more attractive than Robert Lickton. ;)
>>
>> Another example is medicine.
>>
>> Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."
>>
>> Doctor: "Don't do that."
>>
>> That will cost you upwards of $50.

> No, only 10 ¤. Maybe it costs social security the equivalent of $50,
> but I doubt it.

At the rate the dollar is going, it may not be long before 10 ¤. IS $50.

When the Euro was first introduced, it was worth about 80 US cents. Now
it's worth $1.60

--
Mike Kruger
"You have to be careful if you are reckless." - Richard M. Daley

In article <[email protected]>,
Jens Müller <[email protected]> wrote:

> ZBicyclist schrieb:
> > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >> My goodness, do you go into a restaraunt and complain that they
> >> shouldn't be charging $6 for a salad that has .50 worth of
> >> vegetables or whatever in it? How is that different?

> > One hopes the waitress is more attractive than Robert Lickton. ;)
> >
> > Another example is medicine.
> >
> > Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."
> >
> > Doctor: "Don't do that."
> >
> > That will cost you upwards of $50.

> No, only 10 ¤. Maybe it costs social security the equivalent of $50,
> but I doubt it.

Ah, but you (assuming your .de address means that you are in Germany)
are much more likely to have a rational health care system than we have
in the US. Here's that'd be $50 if you have insurance, $150 if you
don't.

In article <[email protected]>,
"ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jens Müller wrote:
> > ZBicyclist schrieb:
> >>
> >> One hopes the waitress is more attractive than Robert Lickton.
> >> ;)
> >>
> >> Another example is medicine.
> >>
> >> Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."
> >>
> >> Doctor: "Don't do that."
> >>
> >> That will cost you upwards of $50.

> > No, only 10 ¤. Maybe it costs social security the equivalent of
> > $50, but I doubt it.

> At the rate the dollar is going, it may not be long before 10 ¤. IS
> $50.
>
> When the Euro was first introduced, it was worth about 80 US cents.
> Now it's worth $1.60

When I was in France the first time (2002), the Euro was worth US$0.98
to US$1.01. This made it just incredibly convenient to understand
prices in terms I was familiar with. When I went in 2003, I think the
Euro was worth about US$1.20 or so, which still wasn't bad to calculate
but was disadvantageous as a tourist. Now I basically can't afford to
higher.

In article <[email protected]>,
SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
> > I'm baffled by buying a lock ring by mail order and not just riding
> > down to the LBS to get one. Unless you only have LBSes with worse
> > customer service than Lickton's.

> I'm sure that driving or riding or calling around looking for a shop
> that has this item in stock would have cost him far more than $6
> worth of time, fuel, etc. OTOH, some on-line stores do offer very
> low-priced shipping for items they can stick in a padded envelope
> which is nice of them. They don't have to go to the post office to do
> this, their mail carrier will pick them up.
>
> > As a customer, of course, you certainly have the right to no longer
> > do business with them if their service was unsatisfactory from your
> > perspective.

> I'll order more stuff from Lickton's to make up for Walter!

I've bought things in person and by mail order from Lickton's and have
always gotten a good deal and generally the customer service has been
good. I have usually dealt with Robin rather than Bob.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Michael Press wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

>> [...]

>>> [...}

>>> It's a very unique item not found in any bicycle

> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>> I can't resist.

> I'm with you on that one. (My father used to rant -- or maybe just vent a
> bit -- on that old malt liquor ad calling it a "completely unique"
> experience. Drilled into my pea brain.)

Plus that malt liquor was up to 50% and more less expensive.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, SMS
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > [...]

> >> [...}

> >> It's a very unique item not found in any bicycle

> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > I can't resist.

> I'm with you on that one. (My father used to rant -- or maybe just
> vent a bit -- on that old malt liquor ad calling it a "completely
> unique" experience. Drilled into my pea brain.)
>
> Bill "that and 'irregardless'" S.

Irrespective of your father's grammatical proclivities, it's better to
sell a totally unique product than a partially unique one- irregardless
of whether English teachers like it. :-D

In article
<[email protected]>,
Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 8:07 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > BTW, Walt is a cry-baby who has nothing better to do than waste his
> > time and everyone else's time complaining about some gd sub-$10
> > purchase that went all wrong.  I mean, he could post something
> > about global warming.

> I think Walt's offbase but at least he's on topic. Let's see...
> rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.racing, rec.bicycles.marketplace,
> rec.bicycles.soc. Nope, not a word about global warming or any other
> allegedly impending climate change. There are plenty of offtopic
> threads in these NGs without encouraging more.

LOL. Although I'd disagree about rec.bikes.soc, as the global warming
discussion might fit in there.

On Apr 22, 6:11 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>
>  Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 21, 8:07 pm, SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > BTW, Walt is a cry-baby who has nothing better to do than waste his
> > > time and everyone else's time complaining about some gd sub-$10
> > > purchase that went all wrong.  I mean, he could post something
> > > about global warming.

> > I think Walt's offbase but at least he's on topic. Let's see...
> > rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.racing, rec.bicycles.marketplace,
> > rec.bicycles.soc. Nope, not a word about global warming or any other
> > allegedly impending climate change. There are plenty of offtopic
> > threads in these NGs without encouraging more.

> LOL.  Although I'd disagree about rec.bikes.soc, as the global warming
> discussion might fit in there.

global warming is on topic in .racing.

Once things heat up we'll have the Tour de Greenland. I hear it has
some great cols. Antarctica? Don't get me started!

Only $6.00 for shipping, and I get to keep the box? Man, I'm gonna
start shopping licktons for all my mail order bike thingies, you
bet.
Of course I think I'll be doing mostly window shopping on-line and my
actual purchasing at the LBS, which may sound backwards to a lot of
you but it seems to work for me.

"SLAVE of THE STATE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

He doesn't have to do business with them for any reason or for no
reason.

-----

curious reaction only because he has been performing these
activities all along without warrant and now finally have reason to
be ashamed now they outed him

mk5000

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to
start."
- John Bingham (No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running)
-------------------

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bill Sornson" wrote: (clip) that old malt liquor ad calling it a
> "completely unique"
>> experience (clip)

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> In the same category: "In order to form a *more perfect* union."
>
> A few of my favorites: "I have a friend of mine." "I own my own home."
> "hot water heater,"

I haven't heard or reacted to the last two
THe first makes me crazy ballistic

I someetimes say gosh he can't be a really close friend or you would have
said my friend

they don't usually get it

sometimes, I ask them what field of mining they are in

mk5000

"She still said nothing and I purposely did not look at her because I did
not wish either to press her or to embarrass her. I was in love with her,
and my heart went out to her as she tried to fathom her own feelings. I felt
like saying: Don't bother to explain, darling. I know it all"
- John Bingham (Five Roundabouts to Heaven)

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

[snip Walter's anti-Lickman's rant]

> Tell ya what, Walter, go get me a shiney sharp object from your
> kitchen drawer.

I recommend a grapefruit knife.

I've ridden all over town in my quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife. I want an old-style one, with
wooden scales + brass rivets on the handle, like an
old-style paring knife (of which I have plenty.)

Heck, I'll trade a wood-handled paring knife for a
wood-handled grapefruit knife.

I've temporarily settled for a lumpy, plastic-handled
doomajigger from that up-market kitchen shop in
Oakridge Mall.

Oh, well. The dollar stores are rife with grapefruit
/spoons/, which are the cat's pajamas for grapefruit
afficionados. They also purvey long-handled soda/float
spoons, which can be quite useful.

Actually, I'm not griping. My quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife is largely an excuse to ride & explore.
Same as my quest for the Perfect Teapot. I like headin'
out with at least a goal, if not a definite destination.
I enjoy prospectin'.

Perhaps if Walter had ridden around in search of his
Campy lockring from a bricks-&-mortar shop, he'd be
a lot happier.

What's so special about a /Campy/ lockring anyways?
(I'm assuming bottom bracket, not headset.)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Tom Keats wrote:
> What's so special about a /Campy/ lockring anyways? (I'm assuming bottom
> bracket, not headset.)

Cassette presumably ?