Lidl Cycling Offers Mon 20th August

Mark T

Guest
<www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070820.index.ar7>

Lights with integrated computer, wall mount, crappy lock that you should
never-ever buy, heart rate monitor, floor pump (£3!), multi tool thingies
and panniers.

A floor pump with pressure gauge for £3 *has* to be a bargain.

About the tools. One set (the star keys) is made from chromed steel and
the other (mixed 9 piece set) is made from chrome vanadium steel. I
presume the first is cheese made to look like the second. Is the second
chesse too? I never know what metal to look for when it comes to tools.

--
Mark T

Mark T wrote:
> <www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070820.index.ar7>
>
> Lights with integrated computer, wall mount, crappy lock that you
> should never-ever buy, heart rate monitor, floor pump (£3!), multi
> tool thingies and panniers.
>
> A floor pump with pressure gauge for £3 *has* to be a bargain.

What's the bore diameter? ;-) (See other thread about pumps)

> About the tools. One set (the star keys) is made from chromed steel
> and the other (mixed 9 piece set) is made from chrome vanadium steel.
> I presume the first is cheese made to look like the second. Is the
> second chesse too? I never know what metal to look for when it comes
> to tools.

Chrome vanadium steel is hard stuff - what good allen keys are made of.
www.mikedyason.com sells sets for £1.20 (proving that cheap isn't always
rubbish). Only pay more if you want longer keys, or ball-ended ones.

~PB

£2.99 for a track pump!!

I prefer those since my small hand pump moved the inner valve so much
on my Dawes as I pumped that the rubber perished on the tube next to
the valve.

Mark T <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid> wrote:
> <www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070820.index.ar7>
>
> Lights with integrated computer, wall mount, crappy lock that you should
> never-ever buy, heart rate monitor, floor pump (?3!), multi tool thingies
> and panniers.

I see what you mean about the lock ..

Does anyone know where I can find a huge thick motorbike-style chain
for a reasonable (small) amount of cash ? I've seen these at Lidl, but
not, of course, now that I want one.

I want to leave a bike at a bus station regularly .. but the bike,
while quite nice (an 80s CB), looks unfashionable and only cost me 30
quid. Spending as much again on a lock seems silly. Losing it
would be more inconvenient than expensive, so I just want a chain that
LOOKS impressive.

-adrian

spindrift wrote:
> £2.99 for a track pump!!
>
> I prefer those since my small hand pump moved the inner valve so much
> on my Dawes as I pumped that the rubber perished on the tube next to
> the valve.

My "spare" one of these in the car is still going strong 4 years later
and it gets more use than the "main" Silca at home. The HRM's are great too.

Stan Cox

Am Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:35:35 +0100 schrieb Adrian Godwin:

> Does anyone know where I can find a huge thick motorbike-style chain
> for a reasonable (small) amount of cash ? I've seen these at Lidl, but
> not, of course, now that I want one.

I once bought a cheapy lock in the local Wilkinson shop to lock up a BSO
(not mine).
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0106138
But you seem to look for something like this:
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0040250
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0226345

Andreas

Mark T wrote:
> <www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070820.index.ar7>
> A floor pump with pressure gauge for £3 *has* to be a bargain.

I used similar reasoning when Tchibo had something of the same sort.
I only managed to use it a couple of times before the head came off
the hose. I've cut the hose and refastened it once; it's come off
again and I'm dithering between trying to fix it a second time and
breaking the pump up for useful bits of plastic pipe.

"Geraint Jones" <[email protected]>
> Mark T wrote:
>> <www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070820.index.ar7>
>> A floor pump with pressure gauge for £3 *has* to be a bargain.

> I used similar reasoning when Tchibo had something of the same sort.
> I only managed to use it a couple of times before the head came off
> the hose. I've cut the hose and refastened it once; it's come off
> again and I'm dithering between trying to fix it a second time and
> breaking the pump up for useful bits of plastic pipe.

I've got one (Lidl) that's in regular use and has been for a couple of years
now. It's used to put air in the offspring's Zipp tubs, and it manages very
well to get up to a suitable high pressure. Indeed, I get other riders
asking if they can borrow it!

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

>I've got one (Lidl) that's in regular use and has been for a couple of years
>now. It's used to put air in the offspring's Zipp tubs, and it manages very
>well to get up to a suitable high pressure. Indeed, I get other riders
>asking if they can borrow it!

mine blew up (literally) when using it to pump a new tyre up to 120
.... previously it hadn't gone over 100 & I had _no_ complaints