LIDL cycling wear size madness

D.M. Procida

Guest
I can't make any sense of the sizes LIDL use to describe their cycling
trousers (for men). What does 38R mean, for example, if the trousers
start at size 38 and the biggest is 44?

Daniele

D.M. Procida wrote:
> I can't make any sense of the sizes LIDL use to describe their cycling
> trousers (for men). What does 38R mean, for example, if the trousers
> start at size 38 and the biggest is 44?

I think that for men's clothing chest size is used even for their
trousers, ie the trousers would be expected to fit someone of a given
chest size who is "normally" proportioned.

No idea about the R, maybe Regular (leg length) rather than Long or Short?

Colin

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:1hk5wnb.ccokzxf15rovN%[email protected]...
>I can't make any sense of the sizes LIDL use to describe their cycling
> trousers (for men). What does 38R mean, for example, if the trousers
> start at size 38 and the biggest is 44?
>
> Daniele

The sizing is no more ridculous than any other retailers. That's not to say
it's sensible ;-)

The sizing refers to chest sizing - and the GB sizes are indicated by the GB
flag next to the number given.

Cheers, helen s

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

> D.M. Procida wrote:
> > I can't make any sense of the sizes LIDL use to describe their cycling
> > trousers (for men). What does 38R mean, for example, if the trousers
> > start at size 38 and the biggest is 44?

> I think that for men's clothing chest size is used even for their
> trousers, ie the trousers would be expected to fit someone of a given
> chest size who is "normally" proportioned.

Thanks, that would make sense.

Daniele

D.M. Procida said the following on 16/08/2006 12:16:
> I can't make any sense of the sizes LIDL use to describe their cycling
> trousers (for men). What does 38R mean, for example, if the trousers
> start at size 38 and the biggest is 44?

Don't know about Lidl specifically, but these days it seems that the
concept of an actual measurement for inside leg is too much, so they
tend to be R for regular, L for long etc. Each shop also seems to have
it's own definition of what constitutes "Regular", whereas 33" inside
leg is pretty unequivocable.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

D.M. Procida wrote:

>I can't make any sense of the sizes LIDL use to describe their cycling
>trousers (for men). What does 38R mean, for example, if the trousers
>start at size 38 and the biggest is 44?

Short of getting a tape measure out there is no way to be certain.
It's possible that they only do a limited range of sizes so the
numbers could be inches.

I have found this page that gives some conversions between inch, cm,
european and French sizes.
http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/pix/info/Size_Chart2.htm

But none of the alternatives to inches looks anything likely.
Acording the website the ladies sizes go from 10 to 18 so I'd guess
the men's sizes are inches with the letters S R L indicating length -
short regular long.

Paul Boyd wrote:

> Don't know about Lidl specifically, but these days it seems that the
> concept of an actual measurement for inside leg is too much, so they
> tend to be R for regular, L for long etc. Each shop also seems to have
> it's own definition of what constitutes "Regular", whereas 33" inside
> leg is pretty unequivocable.

Sort of. It's like waist size. What is a 30" waist is a movable feast over
time I think.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

wafflycat wrote:
> The sizing refers to chest sizing - and the GB sizes are indicated by
> the GB flag next to the number given.

Surely only Simon Cowell sizes his trouser waist by measuring his chest!??

Pete.

"P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflycat wrote:
>> The sizing refers to chest sizing - and the GB sizes are indicated by
>> the GB flag next to the number given.

> Surely only Simon Cowell sizes his trouser waist by measuring his chest!??
>
> Pete.

:)

D.M. Procida wrote:
> I can't make any sense of the sizes LIDL use to describe their cycling
> trousers (for men). What does 38R mean, for example, if the trousers
> start at size 38 and the biggest is 44?

In terms of trousers, 38R means 38" waist, regular length (32" I
think).

You can definately have short length trousers which are usually 2"
shorter than the standard and fit short stumpy people like me.

A range from 38 to 44 is a bit on the large side for cyclists though
and does sound more like chest sizes!

peter

Paul Boyd wrote:
> On 16/08/2006 17:43, naked_draughtsman said,
>
> > A range from 38 to 44 is a bit on the large side for cyclists

> Oi!!!!!

I'm a 38 and that was XXL last time I bought any cycling shorts!

in message <[email protected]>,
naked_draughtsman ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Paul Boyd wrote:
>> On 16/08/2006 17:43, naked_draughtsman said,
>>
>> > A range from 38 to 44 is a bit on the large side for cyclists

>> Oi!!!!!

> I'm a 38 and that was XXL last time I bought any cycling shorts!

I'm a 38 and have just bought myself an 'L' Campag windproof jacket which
fits very nicely. Having said that I recently bought myself an 'L' pair
of bibshorts (not a name brand) and they were /painfully/ too small -
quite large enough around, but the bib part way too short.

Just as defying the law of gravity through building aircraft requires
careful design and a lot of effort, so too does defying laws of
economics. It seems to be a deeply ingrained aspect of humanity to
forever strive to improve things, so unquestioning acceptance of a
free market system seems to me to be unnatural. ;; Charles Bryant

naked_draughtsman wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
> > On 16/08/2006 17:43, naked_draughtsman said,
> >
> > > A range from 38 to 44 is a bit on the large side for cyclists

> > Oi!!!!!

> I'm a 38 and that was XXL last time I bought any cycling shorts!

38 should translate to about a 5, or XL. You must have some funny
italian size of XXL

Talking of which, i have a pair of LiDL bib leggings size 50R which
don't quite fit over my hips and are too damned tight. I offered them
to a colleague but he has scrawny legs so they were too baggy for him.
The 52R non-bib fit me just fine.

Any offers via email if anyone wants them.. No packaging but just tried
on twice.

...d