Lidl, hiking gear...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Nick Hopton, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    Tags:

  2. Brian

    Brian Guest

  3. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:17:38 +0100, Nick Hopton <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Lidl are doing some hiking gear, starting on Thursday, see:
    >
    >http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040-
    >
    >All areas too, by the look of it. I might have a mooch
    >around there on Thursday.

    I keep reading reports of people here picking up real
    bargains at Lidl and think "expect my nearest store is 5
    miles off in the middle of the worst part of town"
    (apologies for snobbishness), however... store finder says
    it is less than 2 miles away ;-) Must bookmark for future
    reference !

    --
    How can I miss you if you won't go away?

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  4. In message <[email protected]>, Nick Hopton
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Lidl are doing some hiking gear, starting on Thursday, see:
    >
    >http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040-
    >
    >All areas too, by the look of it. I might have a mooch
    >around there on Thursday.
    >
    >Regards, Nick.

    The parasol base would be useful for standing your walking
    poles in when you stop for a rest.

    --
    Martin Richardson
    227/284 Munros - 20% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls

  5. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Nick Hopton
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >Lidl are doing some hiking gear, starting on
    > >Thursday, see:
    > >
    > >http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.2004042-
    > >
    > >All areas too, by the look of it. I might have a mooch
    > >around there on Thursday.
    > >
    > >Regards, Nick.
    > >
    > The parasol base would be useful for standing your walking
    > poles in when you stop for a rest.

    I need a bigger rucksack. How else will I manage to carry
    the 'mobile toilet'?

    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  6. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I need a bigger rucksack. How else will I manage to carry
    > the 'mobile toilet'?

    Buy a camper van for it. Then you can stay up the posh end
    of campsites as well, away from the riff raff in the tents
    (or the council house end as we refer to it).

  7. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Fran <[email protected]> wrote
    >[email protected] said...
    >> In message <[email protected]>, Nick Hopton
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >> >Lidl are doing some hiking gear, starting on
    >> >Thursday, see:
    >> >
    >> >http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.200404-
    >> >
    >> >All areas too, by the look of it. I might have a mooch
    >> >around there on Thursday.
    >> >
    >> >Regards, Nick.
    >> >
    >> The parasol base would be useful for standing your
    >> walking poles in when you stop for a rest.
    >>
    >I need a bigger rucksack. How else will I manage to carry
    >the 'mobile toilet'?

    No problem - the sunlounger cushions will easily replace the
    three SI mattresses you normally carry, thus saving enough
    room for the bog.
    --
    Gordon

  8. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message
    <[email protected]>, John Laird <[email protected]
    towers.org.uk> wrote.

    [...]
    >>Lidl are doing some hiking gear, starting on
    >>Thursday, see:
    >>
    >>http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.200404-
    >>
    >>All areas too, by the look of it. I might have a mooch
    >>around there on Thursday.
    >
    >I keep reading reports of people here picking up real
    >bargains at Lidl and think "expect my nearest store is 5
    >miles off in the middle of the worst part of town"
    >(apologies for snobbishness), however... store finder says
    >it is less than 2 miles away ;-) Must bookmark for future
    >reference !

    Well, I did go down to Lidl today and bought one hiking
    shirt, one hiking waistcoat, one pair of hiking trousers and
    two pairs of hiking socks, all for the grand total of about
    21-pounds. All of this stuff except the socks, is, according
    to the labels, Teflon, so I'm not sure what its wicking
    performance will be.

    I just guessed the sizes, but everything seems to fit after
    a fashion (I'm not sure which fashion, the new 'total prat'
    look, I suspect). I'll be trying the new kit out tomorrow on
    a 30-odd km ramble around Watership Down.

    Regards, Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England
    <[email protected]

  9. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Fran <[email protected]> wrote

    > Under my Highlander <snip> it'll be lovely and comfy :)

    Och! Does Charlie know about him?
    --
    Gordon

  10. "Nick Hopton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > Lidl are doing some hiking gear, starting on
    > Thursday, see:
    >
    > http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.200404-
    >
    > All areas too, by the look of it. I might have a mooch
    > around there on Thursday.

    Visited my local store at Cowplain on Thursday evening
    ...... and acquired a rather smart pair of walking/trekking
    shoes (the last in my size). Wore them for a short while
    last night, and they are very comfortable, sturdy and good
    to walk in. Great price at 14.99 ..... and probably made in
    the same factory in South Korea/China as those Brand named
    ones in the more 'quality' Outdoor shops. Billy bargain too,
    as I bought a pair of Teflon coated light-weight walking
    trousers that convert into shorts. There is also a zip the
    length of the lower section of each leg so can be removed
    without having to take off the boots.

    Must keep an eye out for future deals.

    --
    Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    "Mountains or Mole Hills ..... sumitting still brings the
    same excitement"

  11. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message <[email protected]ni-
    berlin.de>, Rodders
    <[email protected]> wrote.

    [...]
    >> Well, I did go down to Lidl today and bought one hiking
    >> shirt, one hiking waistcoat, one pair of hiking trousers
    >> and two pairs of hiking socks, all for the grand total of
    >> about 21-pounds. All of this stuff except the socks, is,
    >> according to the labels, Teflon, so I'm not sure what its
    >> wicking performance will be.
    [...]

    >Let us know Nick. I bought shirt, trousers, socks, 2 pairs
    >of boots and a pair of trousers for the wife. One of the
    >pairs of boots were only £4.99
    >:), goodness knows what these will be like?

    Just back; a 32 km (according to Fugawi) round trip starting
    and finishing near Watership Down. It was quite warm today,
    so I after about an hour I took off the waistcoat.
    Everything performed very well, the trousers are very light
    and just right for this sort of weather and the socks were
    very comfortable and much cooler than the 1,000-mile ones I
    usually wear. All in all, a jolly good twenty-odd quid's
    worth, I reckon.

    All I'm waiting for now is for Lidl to start selling
    miniature, lightweight wire cutters. One of my paths had
    been blocked with a barbed-wire fence and I had to boot down
    two of the fence posts to get through.

    Regards, Nick.
    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England
    <[email protected]

  12. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message <[email protected]>, KRO
    <[email protected]> wrote.

    >> If the fence is illegal, you boot it down or cut it
    >> down. Never just climb quietly over it. That just
    >> encourages the buggers.
    >>
    >> But make sure you are right with determining which group
    >> the fence belongs to first!
    >>
    >So how do you tell if a fence is legal or not? And even if
    >it's not, it's there for a purpose, so surely it's better
    >to climb over it rather than through it. Step ladders work
    >better than plastic piping, you should try them....

    The RA says that if you come across a blocked right of way
    you are entitled to remove the obstruction. Oddly enough, it
    appears that you can only do this if you come across an
    obstruction during the course of a walk (you are not allowed
    to remove such an obstruction if the sole purpose of the
    walk was do this, if understand it correctly).

    Regards, Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England
    <[email protected]

  13. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    KRO <[email protected]> wrote

    >"Paul Cummings" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message news:[email protected]...
    >> I use a plastic tube about two feet long / 1.5 inch
    >> diameter with about a third cut out of it. Works well for
    >> me, especially when I take two of
    >them
    >> for above and below. I've not snagged any clothing on
    >> barbed wire in
    >quite
    >> some while. But that is just for fences legally allowed.
    >>
    >> If the fence is illegal, you boot it down or cut it down.
    >> Never just
    >climb
    >> quietly over it. That just encourages the buggers.
    >>
    >> But make sure you are right with determining which group
    >> the fence belongs to first!
    >>
    >So how do you tell if a fence is legal or not? And even if
    >it's not, it's there for a purpose, so surely it's better
    >to climb over it rather than through
    >it.Step ladders work better than plastic piping, you should
    > try them....
    >
    >KRO

    You carry a step-ladder?

    I use sky hooks, slings and karabiniers (sp?).
    --
    Gordon

  14. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Nick Hopton <[email protected]> wrote

    >The RA says that if you come across a blocked right of way
    >you are entitled to remove the obstruction. Oddly enough,
    >it appears that you can only do this if you come across an
    >obstruction during the course of a walk (you are not
    >allowed to remove such an obstruction if the sole purpose
    >of the walk was do this, if understand it correctly).
    >
    >Regards, Nick.

    I'm puzzled by all the macho talk about hacking barbed wire
    across ROW, anyway. In 32 years of hill and country walking
    the only ROW I have found blocked are those which are
    overgrown or diverted because my map was out of date. ;-)

    Barbed wire along the route of a narrow path, and
    encroaching too close to stiles are a PITA, but in most
    cases they have been hammered down in the immediate
    vicinity, IME.
    --
    Gordon

  15. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message <[email protected]>,
    Gordon <[email protected]> wrote.

    >>The RA says that if you come across a blocked right of way
    >>you are entitled to remove the obstruction. Oddly enough,
    >>it appears that you can only do this if you come across an
    >>obstruction during the course of a walk (you are not
    >>allowed to remove such an obstruction if the sole purpose
    >>of the walk was do this, if understand it correctly).

    >I'm puzzled by all the macho talk about hacking barbed wire
    >across ROW, anyway. In 32 years of hill and country walking
    >the only ROW I have found blocked are those which are
    >overgrown or diverted because my map was out of date. ;-)

    Macho, moi? No, just fed up. I don't get my routes out of
    books and before I go out for a ramble I plot a track using
    Fugawi, send it to the Geko and then walk it. From the map
    it's not possible to get much idea of what one is likely to
    encounter in advance and by the time one comes up against an
    obstacle it's too late to do anything but go round or go
    through. In these circumstances I go through, if possible. I
    believe it's important to do this. The only complaint I have
    ever made to a county rights-of-way department about the
    deliberate obliteration of a footpath wasn't even
    acknowledged, let alone dealt with.

    I could avoid all of these problems by getting my walks from
    books, I suppose [1]. But why should I? One of the pleasures
    of walking routes that one has planned oneself is finding
    oneself off the beaten track. Damn it, I want to do it *my*
    way, not *his* way <g>.

    Note [1]. Actually, I'm not sure this is the case. *Are*
    there any books with circular walks of about 30 to 35 km in
    length around the high ground of Berkshire, Oxfordshire,
    Wiltshire and Hampshire?

    Regards, Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England
    <[email protected]

  16. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message <[email protected]>,
    Gordon <[email protected]> wrote.

    >>So how do you tell if a fence is legal or not? And even if
    >>it's not, it's there for a purpose, so surely it's better
    >>to climb over it rather than through it. Step ladders work
    >>better than plastic piping, you should try them....

    [...]
    >I use sky hooks
    [...]

    Available as a special offer at Lidl in week commencing the
    31st of June. Restricted regions, European sizes only.

    Regards, Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England
    <[email protected]

  17. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Fran <[email protected]> wrote
    >[email protected] said...
    >> Note [1]. Actually, I'm not sure this is the case. *Are*
    >> there any books with circular walks of about 30 to 35 km
    >> in length around the high ground of Berkshire,
    >> Oxfordshire, Wiltshire and Hampshire?
    >>
    >Bound to be!

    Yeaah, course there are, the watershed walks etc. :)

    I only use books for ideas, and a walking partner gets some
    walks from books but I use the map and plot tracks according
    to ROW. To be honest, the Right Of Access Bill means next to
    nothing to me, anyone who wants to expend half their energy
    ploughing through vegetation is welcome, I've done it in the
    past and it has lost its appeal.

    The length of a walk is not very significant, so long as
    it's within my capabilities and offers good views and a
    chance of seeing wildlife.

    Of course you will se more of the latter further from
    'civilisation'.
    --
    Gordon

  18. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message <[email protected]>,
    Gordon <[email protected]> wrote.

    >>> Note [1]. Actually, I'm not sure this is the case. *Are*
    >>> there any books with circular walks of about 30 to 35 km
    >>> in length around the high ground of Berkshire,
    >>> Oxfordshire, Wiltshire and Hampshire?

    >>Bound to be!

    [...]
    >I only use books for ideas, and a walking partner gets some
    >walks from books but I use the map and plot tracks
    >according to ROW. To be honest, the Right Of Access Bill
    >means next to nothing to me, anyone who wants to expend
    >half their energy ploughing through vegetation is welcome,
    >I've done it in the past and it has lost its appeal.

    You and I plan our walks in the same way then, but it can't
    half dump you in some strange places at times. On the walk
    last Friday just before where I had to deal with the barbed
    wire fence I had to follow a ROW across a field densely
    planted with some sort of plant that stood about four feet
    high. Finding my way through this would have been a problem
    at one time, but not since I started to navigate using
    tracks with hundreds of points, rather than 30 or so
    waypoints.

    >The length of a walk is not very significant, so long as
    >it's within my capabilities and offers good views and a
    >chance of seeing wildlife.
    [...]

    For me, a good walk is about 30 to 35 km with some up and
    down thrown in for good measure. Last Friday was about par
    for the course; starting at the car park on the B3051 at
    White Hill, near Watership Down and following the Wayfarer's
    Walk down to Frith Wood, paths and lanes to Wooldings Farm,
    crossing the A34 near Cole Henley, through the woods up to
    Lower Woodcott Down, Seven Barrows and the Wayfarer's Way
    back to where I started from. 32 km with 2000-and-odd metres
    of vertical ascent (according to the GPS) with a nice mix of
    woody lowland and high chalk downland. Perhaps we all have
    our rituals, I always seem to do these circular walks in a
    clockwise direction <g>.

    Regards, Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England
    <[email protected]

  19. In message <[email protected]>, Nick Hopton
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In a recent message <[email protected]>,
    >Gordon <[email protected]> wrote.
    >
    >>>So how do you tell if a fence is legal or not? And even
    >>>if it's not, it's there for a purpose, so surely it's
    >>>better to climb over it rather than through it. Step
    >>>ladders work better than plastic piping, you should try
    >>>them....
    >
    >[...]
    >>I use sky hooks
    >[...]
    >
    >Available as a special offer at Lidl in week commencing the
    >31st of June. Restricted regions, European sizes only.

    I got an adjustable pair for £1.50 from Aldi on 30 February.

    --
    Martin Richardson
    227/284 Munros - 20% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls
    - 0% to go
    228/89 Donalds - 53% to go 0/? Himalayans - 100% to go
    229/1552 Marilyns - 73% to go

  20. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > I bought a pair of Teflon coated light-weight walking
    > trousers that convert into shorts. There is also a zip the
    > length of the lower section of each leg so can be removed
    > without having to take off the boots.

    I've got a pair of those as well, from the last time the
    offers were on. All I have to do now is to lose enough girth
    to be able to do them up...
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.