Lidl, hiking gear...

Martin Richardson <[email protected]> wrote
>In message <[email protected]>, Nick Hopton
><[email protected]> writes
>>In a recent message <[email protected]>,
>>Gordon <[email protected]> wrote.

>>[...]
>>>I use sky hooks
>>[...]
>>
>>Available as a special offer at Lidl in week commencing
>>the 31st of June. Restricted regions, European sizes only.
>>
>I got an adjustable pair for £1.50 from Aldi on 30
>February.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSHIT! You never mentioned them at the
time......
--
Gordon

sandy saunders <[email protected]> wrote

>> Near the Spotted Cow?
>
>Not sure. I live in Denmead and although close to Cowplain
>its a place I rarely visit. The name sounds familiar
>though, sure I have heard the name mentioned in my local at
>Denmead, The Forest of Bere(Good pub)

We dropped into the Brown Cow today and I had a pint of
Black Witch.

8.25miles, curlew, sunburn,[1] oyster-catcher, pied wagtail,
tortoise[2].

[9] Forgot my baseball cap.

[10] In a lady's garden in Chatburn, she calls it Tommy, and
it's about 50 years old. We had stopped to tchk-tchk a
couple of horses, and she told us their names, then
said "Tommy's in my garden. We peered nervously over
the wall and saw the mobile crusty meat pie. She called
to it and it dashed across the lawn to her, then tried
to climb up the low wall to us when we called it.

Talk about One Foot In The Grave . . .
--
Gordon

Nick Hopton <[email protected]> wrote

>You and I plan our walks in the same way then, but it can't
>half dump you in some strange places at times. On the walk
>last Friday just before where I had to deal with the barbed
>wire fence I had to follow a ROW across a field densely
>planted with some sort of plant that stood about four feet
>high. Finding my way through this would have been a problem
>at one time, but not since I started to navigate using
>tracks with hundreds of points, rather than 30 or so
>waypoints.
>
>>The length of a walk is not very significant, so long as
>>it's within my capabilities and offers good views and a
>>chance of seeing wildlife.
>[...]
>
>For me, a good walk is about 30 to 35 km with some up and
>down thrown in for good measure.

Sounds reasonable! I did 37k this week (in 5 days!) with my
lady friend, and 42k last week in 6 days, but our combined
age is 140 years. ;-)

> Perhaps we all have our rituals, I always seem to do these
> circular walks in a clockwise direction <g>.

We are anti-clockwise walkers as a general rule, but often
think about reversing some of the ones we wish to
repeat.....
--
Gordon

In message <[email protected]>, Gordon
<[email protected]> writes
>Martin Richardson <[email protected]> wrote
>>In message <[email protected]>, Nick Hopton
>><[email protected]> writes
>>>In a recent message <[email protected]>,
>>>Gordon <[email protected]> wrote.

>>>[...]
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>Available as a special offer at Lidl in week
>>>commencing the 31st of June. Restricted regions,
>>>European sizes only.
>>>
>>I got an adjustable pair for £1.50 from Aldi on 30
>>February.
>>
>SSSSSSSSSSSSSSHIT! You never mentioned them at the
>time......

Sorry, at the time I was too busy shining my four-season
boots in preparation for a walk around Ambleside.

--
Martin Richardson
227/284 Munros - 20% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls

RJ Webb <[email protected]> wrote

>>We are anti-clockwise walkers as a general rule, but often
>>think about reversing some of the ones we wish to
>>repeat.....
>
>40 years ago, you would have got into big trouble doing
>that where I come from.. Devil's way!
>
>Seriously we had farm workers who obeyed a clockwise only
>rule absolutely.. it must have meant something to them.
>

>I am ashamed to say, I have a clockwise bias
>
>Richard Webb

You'd be a scream in t'Olympic Games then. :)
--
Gordon

Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote
>Gordon wrote:
>
>> You'd be a scream in t'Olympic Games then. :)
>
>Same with oval racing in Nascar and Indy Cars.

Which is topical (for me). I was looking what I could delete
from my drive C: because it is becoming short of space, and
fired up Grand Prix 3 for the first time in years. I got
into it, and was lying 4th in the Italian GP, running on
adrenaline, when a pop-up message appeared to remind me of
my grandson's birthday tomorrow, and crashed the program.

I was livid, but I should have cleared all such programs
before starting....

>Which makes me wonder, why did they decide that turning
>left was better than turning right? Better for a right
>handed person to have their stronger hand on the outside of
>the wheel? To do with Americans having the steering wheel
>on the left perhaps?

Those damn Yanks!

Yeas, I suppose if you are sitting on the left you have the
car balanced against sideways 'G' and you are also further
from the Indy wall of death.
--
Gordon

RJ Webb <[email protected]> wrote

>>You'd be a scream in t'Olympic Games then. :)
>
>LOL What a great idea...<O-bias> Liven up that sterile and
>boring yawn that is Track and Field </O-bias>

You're a synchronised swimming fan then?

'Track' IS the Olympics, in my view.
--
Gordon

The message <[email protected]>
from "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> > You'd be a scream in t'Olympic Games then. :)

> Same with oval racing in Nascar and Indy Cars.

> Which makes me wonder, why did they decide that turning
> left was better than turning right? Better for a right
> handed person to have their stronger hand on the outside
> of the wheel? To do with Americans having the steering
> wheel on the left perhaps?

ISTR that the first purpose built car track in the world was
Brooklands and that was driven anti clockwise.

I am not a horse racing fan but don't horses circulate
anticlockwise as well so it is possibly a universal
instinct, at least for the righthanded majority.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 27 summits New - 16 (Marilyns
4, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 11) Repeats - 11( Marilyns 2,

>We are anti-clockwise walkers as a general rule, but often
>think about reversing some of the ones we wish to
>repeat.....

40 years ago, you would have got into big trouble doing that
where I come from.. Devil's way!

Seriously we had farm workers who obeyed a clockwise only
rule absolutely.. it must have meant something to them.

I am ashamed to say, I have a clockwise bias

Richard Webb

>You'd be a scream in t'Olympic Games then. :)

LOL What a great idea...<O-bias> Liven up that sterile and
boring yawn that is Track and Field </O-bias>

Richard Webb

>Same with oval racing in Nascar and Indy Cars.
>
>Which makes me wonder, why did they decide that turning
>left was better than turning right? Better for a right
>handed person to have their stronger hand on the outside of
>the wheel? To do with Americans having the steering wheel
>on the left perhaps?

Maybe the previous generation of yokels were on to
something.. Oval racing, Track athletics??? Demonic
creations the lot of them. Can you smell Sulphur?

Its a matter of amusement to some that horse racing circuits
are divided into the two directions.. There the factor was
probably the siting of facilities, one direction will give a
better finish view than the other.

Looking through some recent orienteering courses, and
excluding the ones with loads of crossovers, they seem
divided 50-50 as would be expected.

Richard Webb

>You're a synchronised swimming fan then?
>
>'Track' IS the Olympics, in my view.
>--
>Gordon

Agreed.. but it bores me rigid, but I accept that there is
beauty in simplicity.

I am just a very partisan orienteer. And would love to see
hill running and cross country in at least, and some of
that vast duplication of running round in circles thinned
out. Three cheers for Phillipides! At least we have one
real run in there.

As for swimming of any kind ........ :-(

Richard Webb