Lidl



M

Mark T

Guest
Yep, it's time for the Lidl cycling sale:

<www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080310.index.ar7>
 
N

Nick Austin

Guest
On 3 Mar 2008 17:11:52 GMT, Mark T
<[email protected]*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Yep, it's time for the Lidl cycling sale:
>
><www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080310.index.ar7>


Excellent. I loved last years offers. I see this year they
have a mud-guard mounted rear light for just £1.99 which I
don't remember from last year. Also the bike computer is now
£2.99 although it looks like they have restyled the casing.

Nick.
 
N

naked_draughtsman

Guest
On Mar 3, 5:11 pm, Mark T
<[email protected]*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
wrote:
> Yep, it's time for the Lidl cycling sale:
>
> <www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080310.index.ar7>


The shoes look the same as the ones I bought last year although the
description seems a bit different. Last year's shoes were pretty
decent.

Are the unicycles childrens' ones? (The 'adult supervision' warning
makes me suspicious) Are they the same as last years which I believe
were well received on this newsgroup!

peter
 
T

Trevor A Panther

Guest
"Nick Austin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On 3 Mar 2008 17:11:52 GMT, Mark T
> <[email protected]*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Yep, it's time for the Lidl cycling sale:
>>
>><www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080310.index.ar7>

>
> Excellent. I loved last years offers. I see this year they
> have a mud-guard mounted rear light for just £1.99 which I
> don't remember from last year. Also the bike computer is now
> £2.99 although it looks like they have restyled the casing.
>
> Nick.
>


I actually think it they are the worst offers in years

I am still wearing a shirt I bought in 2004 but none of the shirts I have
bought since survive,
The "gloves" -- well mitts -- seem well priced as throw away mitts and I
shall buy 2 or 3 pairs.
The socks are this "new" in the last couple of years style of supposed foot
support which is a load of piffle and looking at the piccies they seem shorter
then ever! Now I like a short sock which doesn't come half way up my shins
but these don't seem to cover my ankle bones. Again I have one pair which have
survived incredibly ( and still comfy) after 3 years all the rest get shorter
and shorter year by year by design and by normal wear, And this so called
foot shaping is a load of rubbish ( I spell it "B*ll*cks") -- just look at the
inside of the sock which is next to your actual foot.

The lights -- well that little rear light is quite excellent for its size --
as an additional light -- but the front light is cr*p -- takes me back to the
40's, 50's type of lamp -- but not as robust.

Mini pumps are just so inefficient -- I have sworn at then several times when
it is tippling and I am breaking the presta valves with them. I have carried a
cyclaire pump for the last 2 1/2 years -- used it rarely ( 3 trailer
punctures) but always easily -- together with marathon + and a track pump at
home -- I am happy.

Most of the rest of the offers ( and not very extensive ) are very "iffy".
Distinctly cheap and nasty this year.

And I have bought my fair share of Lidl and Aldi gear over the years and had
some good buys.

Gloves seem to be my only buy this year!

Different buyer at the head office I suspect -- no real idea of cycling needs
at all. 4 years ago you had to be there when the store opened -- last year
much stuff was available all day. This year it looks as though it will be
there for a week --- except for the gloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
 
T

Trevor A Panther

Guest
"Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]
>
>
>
> "Nick Austin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> On 3 Mar 2008 17:11:52 GMT, Mark T
>> <[email protected]*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Yep, it's time for the Lidl cycling sale:
>>>
>>><www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080310.index.ar7>

>>
>> Excellent. I loved last years offers. I see this year they
>> have a mud-guard mounted rear light for just £1.99 which I
>> don't remember from last year. Also the bike computer is now
>> £2.99 although it looks like they have restyled the casing.
>>
>> Nick.
>>

>
> I actually think it they are the worst offers in years
>
> I am still wearing a shirt I bought in 2004 but none of the shirts I have
> bought since survive,
> The "gloves" -- well mitts -- seem well priced as throw away mitts and I
> shall buy 2 or 3 pairs.
> The socks are this "new" in the last couple of years style of supposed foot
> support which is a load of piffle and looking at the piccies they seem
> shorter then ever! Now I like a short sock which doesn't come half way up
> my shins but these don't seem to cover my ankle bones. Again I have one pair
> which have survived incredibly ( and still comfy) after 3 years all the rest
> get shorter and shorter year by year by design and by normal wear, And this
> so called foot shaping is a load of rubbish ( I spell it "B*ll*cks") -- just
> look at the inside of the sock which is next to your actual foot.
>
> The lights -- well that little rear light is quite excellent for its
> ize -- as an additional light -- but the front light is cr*p -- takes me
> back to the 40's, 50's type of lamp -- but not as robust.
>
> Mini pumps are just so inefficient -- I have sworn at then several times
> when it is tippling and I am breaking the presta valves with them. I have
> carried a cyclaire pump for the last 2 1/2 years -- used it rarely ( 3
> trailer punctures) but always easily -- together with marathon + and a track
> pump at home -- I am happy.
>
> Most of the rest of the offers ( and not very extensive ) are very "iffy".
> Distinctly cheap and nasty this year.
>
> And I have bought my fair share of Lidl and Aldi gear over the years and had
> some good buys.
>
> Gloves seem to be my only buy this year!
>
> Different buyer at the head office I suspect -- no real idea of cycling
> needs at all. 4 years ago you had to be there when the store opened -- last
> year much stuff was available all day. This year it looks as though it will
> be there for a week --- except for the gloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire,
> England, United Kingdom.
> www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Sorry -- I believe the bike hanger is good --but I haven't got room.

The shoes I got last year were rubbish. Laces lasted 2 weeks and the cleat
insert in the sole of one shoe came clear away from the rest of the sole. Very
expensive rubbish -- ( spelt the same way as b4)

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
 
J

Jim

Guest
"Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The shoes I got last year were rubbish. Laces lasted 2 weeks and the cleat
> insert in the sole of one shoe came clear away from the rest of the sole.
> Very expensive rubbish -- ( spelt the same way as b4)
>

I got the shoes last year and I have used them quite a alot, mostly
commuting, and a little off-road.
They haven't fallen to bits, only the laces are starting to look a bit dodgy
after a year of use.
Perhaps you were unlucky or you put a lot more force through the pedals than
me.

Jim J
 
D

Danny Colyer

Guest
On 03/03/2008 20:52, naked_draughtsman wrote:
> Are the unicycles childrens' ones? (The 'adult supervision' warning
> makes me suspicious) Are they the same as last years which I believe
> were well received on this newsgroup!


The website states a rather small height adjustment range of 93-103cm,
which I reckon should be suitable for an inside leg 28-32" (my 20"
wheel, for my 31" inside leg and with cranks 1" shorter than the Lidl
unicycle's likely to have, has the seat set at about 103cm). It looks as
though the seatpost could probably be cut down for shorter people.

It also states a weight limit of 80kg, which, would probably rule out
most people with inside legs much longer than that anyway.

I wish it gave some details about the seatpost. If it happened to have
a 25.0mm diameter, 300mm+ long seatpost with a 4 bolt saddle attachment
then I'd be tempted to buy it just for the seatpost.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
Reply address is valid, but that on my website is checked more often
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
 
T

Trevor A Panther

Guest
I did wear them every day and for a large part of the day but ! am hardly your
average hard pedaler/peddler ( sic) at 70 years old the insert that detached
from my shoes was the one of my right foot which is the one which always take
most bending movement when I am kneeling down -- I kneel on my left knee and
my right foot will always bend the soles of my shoes -- but shoes are supposed
to be able to cope with that!

Trevor A Panther



"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> The shoes I got last year were rubbish. Laces lasted 2 weeks and the cleat
>> insert in the sole of one shoe came clear away from the rest of the sole.
>> Very expensive rubbish -- ( spelt the same way as b4)
>>

> I got the shoes last year and I have used them quite a alot, mostly
> commuting, and a little off-road.
> They haven't fallen to bits, only the laces are starting to look a bit dodgy
> after a year of use.
> Perhaps you were unlucky or you put a lot more force through the pedals than
> me.
>
> Jim J
>
 
M

Mark T

Guest
Trevor A Panther writtificated

> The socks are this "new" in the last couple of years style of
> supposed foot support which is a load of piffle and looking at the
> piccies they seem shorter then ever! Now I like a short sock which
> doesn't come half way up my shins but these don't seem to cover my
> ankle bones. Again I have one pair which have survived incredibly (
> and still comfy) after 3 years all the rest get shorter and shorter
> year by year by design and by normal wear, And this so called foot
> shaping is a load of rubbish ( I spell it "B*ll*cks") -- just look at
> the inside of the sock which is next to your actual foot.


Cheap (2 pairs for 2 quid) and come in several different sizes (as someone
with big feet I like this). Can't see any claims for "foot shaping"
thobut.

> The lights -- well that little rear light is quite excellent for its
> size -- as an additional light -- but the front light is cr*p --
> takes me back to the 40's, 50's type of lamp -- but not as robust.


Surprised they're still trying to shift halogen lamps - can't be too long
before LEDs make them obsolete even at the lowest price points.
 
J

Jon McD

Guest
Nick Austin wrote:
>I see this year they
> have a mud-guard mounted rear light for just £1.99 which I
> don't remember from last year.


I got a "Made in Germany" mudguard light last year at Lidl. This had the
confusing words on the packaging "Rear light for mudguard with sidelight
function". The small print says it is a dynamo light that will be
powered by a capacitor for 4 minutes when you stop. So for sidelight
read standlight. Yet to try it out.

JonMcD
 
A

Alex Potter

Guest
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:35:13 +0000, Jon McD wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I got a "Made in Germany" mudguard light last year at Lidl. This had the
> confusing words on the packaging "Rear light for mudguard with sidelight
> function". The small print says it is a dynamo light that will be
> powered by a capacitor for 4 minutes when you stop. So for sidelight
> read standlight. Yet to try it out.


I got one of them last year too. It's fitted and provides a good "be
seen" rear light attached to the mounting on my rear rack, backed up by a
cateye blinkie on the seat-post.

--
Regards
Alex
http://www.badphorm.co.uk/
 
T

TheMgt

Guest
Trevor A Panther wrote:

> The shoes I got last year were rubbish. Laces lasted 2 weeks and the
> cleat insert in the sole of one shoe came clear away from the rest of
> the sole. Very expensive rubbish -- ( spelt the same way as b4)


Mine had problems , as did the ones I bought the year before. The left
cleat insert partially pulled out of the sole. On the other hand they
were only 12 quid or so and I was still wearing them all day at work
until last Friday.
 
N

Nigel Cliffe

Guest
Trevor A Panther wrote:
> "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]
>> I actually think it they are the worst offers in years


> Sorry -- I believe the bike hanger is good --but I haven't got room.


The hangers are superb if you have suitable garage/shed where lifting a bike
up would be useful. I have a couple from a few years ago, and will add
another one or two this time.

Also useful for some servicing tasks, such as holding bike whilst setting up
brakes, oiling chains, cleaning, etc..


Elsewhere, a very similar hanger costs over £20.



- Nigel


--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/
 
C

congokid

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Trevor A
Panther <[email protected]> writes

>The shoes I got last year were rubbish. Laces lasted 2 weeks and the
>cleat insert in the sole of one shoe came clear away from the rest of
>the sole. Very expensive rubbish -- ( spelt the same way as b4)


You get what you pay for.

I bought my bike shoes probably 12 or more years ago in Covent Garden -
Shimanos that cost around 50-60UKP (I have the invoice somewhere but it
would take ages to dig out). I wore them on my daily commute to work
until two years ago and I still wear them almost every day.

The only sign of wear is a little interior fraying around the back of
the heel, and I'm on the second pair of laces.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
http://congokid.com
 
W

wafflycat

Guest
"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, Trevor A
> Panther <[email protected]> writes
>
>>The shoes I got last year were rubbish. Laces lasted 2 weeks and the cleat
>>insert in the sole of one shoe came clear away from the rest of the sole.
>>Very expensive rubbish -- ( spelt the same way as b4)

>
> You get what you pay for.


Heh... I'm still wearing the original Look boots with cleat recessed into
the sole I bought some five years ago for the princely sum of err.. a fiver
IIRC. I have a second pair I've worn once (but put back in box as the
original pair are still going strong, if a bit battered now after almost
daily use year-round, and I've a third, pristine pair still in the box,
unused... being kept for when the others wear out. I'll probably be getting
fifteen or so years of wear from fifteen squid spent.


>
> I bought my bike shoes probably 12 or more years ago in Covent Garden -
> Shimanos that cost around 50-60UKP (I have the invoice somewhere but it
> would take ages to dig out). I wore them on my daily commute to work until
> two years ago and I still wear them almost every day.