Lietra - how much?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jussibjoerling, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Saw the Leitra website yesterday. We have a couple of trikes that do the WHIRL Saturday rides but I
    am not a big trike fan. However, after seeing the pictures of the Leitra, my mouth started
    drooling. The Leitra site did not post prices. Does anyone know aprox cost of one of these drooled
    on machines?

    Tags:

  2. "JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > Saw the Leitra website yesterday. We have a couple of trikes that do the WHIRL Saturday rides but
    > I am not a big trike fan. However, after seeing the pictures of the Leitra, my mouth started
    > drooling. The Leitra site did not post prices. Does anyone know aprox cost of one of these drooled
    > on machines?

    Prices are listed here http://www.leitra.dk/ in the "prices and ordering"-menu. Just scroll
    down past the german dealer info. You need to add the prices for a trike and fairing and any
    options you want.

    Occasionally C. G. Rasmussen has a used for sale. There was also a used for sale in our recent
    clubmag for 15000 DKK or ~2000 usd but for a rather short person (165 cm or 5 foot 5.)

    Dunno if its sold.

    Mikael

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    JussiBjoerling wrote:

    > Saw the Leitra website yesterday. We have a couple of trikes that do the WHIRL Saturday rides but
    > I am not a big trike fan. However, after seeing the pictures of the Leitra, my mouth started
    > drooling. The Leitra site did not post prices. Does anyone know aprox cost of one of these drooled
    > on machines?

    Alan Weiss, who has posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent as recently as this morning, lives in New
    Jersey and has a Leitra according to his signature line. Perhaps he will comment.

  4. Mikael Any comments/reviews of the Leitra?

    > "JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    > news:[email protected]om...
    > > Saw the Leitra website yesterday. We have a couple of trikes that do the WHIRL Saturday rides
    > > but I am not a big trike fan. However, after seeing the pictures of the Leitra, my mouth started
    > > drooling. The Leitra site did not post prices. Does anyone know aprox cost of one of these
    > > drooled on machines?
    >
    > Prices are listed here http://www.leitra.dk/ in the "prices and ordering"-menu. Just scroll down
    > past the german dealer info. You need to add the prices for a trike and fairing and any options
    > you want.
    >
    > Occasionally C. G. Rasmussen has a used for sale. There was also a used for sale in our recent
    > clubmag for 15000 DKK or ~2000 usd but for a rather short person (165 cm or 5 foot 5.)
    >
    > Dunno if its sold.
    >
    > Mikael

  5. Alan Weiss

    Alan Weiss Guest

    I wrote a review of my experience buying a Leitra you can see here:
    http://www.recumbents.com/mars/pages/lib/libleitra.html There is a link there to pictures of my
    trip, too.

    Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider

  6. JussiBjoerling <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Mikael Any comments/reviews of the Leitra?

    Haven't ridden it personally, only heard some comments, read the websites... I saw a short summary
    of a rider's experiences, in Swedish, on the site of HPVS.

    Duh, why don't people write their riding experiences in English? Like if you are shopping for one of
    the Dutch models, you can find a large database of experiences - in Dutch...

    There are other cool velomobiles besides Leitra, eg. a number of Dutch ones. You have to consider
    your intended (or daydreamed) use, the properties of the model and the price...

    Leitra is more expensive than some Dutch models: I calculated about 7000,- with some necessary
    goodies, while Mango starts at 4500,- about. Leitra might be more intended for practical use, with
    its stunning 2 m turning radius (the Dutch models seem to be 7 m and up...). From the comments I've
    seen it also seems a bit unstable (eg. when braking hard), because of the short (?) wheelbase, but
    dunno if I can really back this claim...

  7. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    "JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mikael Any comments/reviews of the Leitra?

    I went to try one a while back, but wasn't overly impressed. The seat was very uncomfortable for me,
    with a far too upright position (it was also very hard and strangely shaped). It was noisy and hot
    inside the full fairing despite a solar powered ventilation fan. The trike was also very heavy up
    hills, but very fast down them. I didn't think the view out of the windows was particularly good
    either. Further I found that it the steering was very twitchy - something one can probably get used
    to and is probably caused by the rather short wheelbase. Also, the price is rather high - I believe
    a Go-One can be had for a similar price and while I haven't tried one, this looks like a much more
    mature velomobile, while the basic Leitra design has remained unchanged almost since its launch. I
    would love to recommend the Danish trike, being a dane myself, but I can't help but think that there
    must be better solutions out there.

    Mads

    NB: Incidentally the same goes for the main Danish recumbent manufacturer - Hjordt Specialcykler,
    which makes the Bj├Žllby SWB (which I own one of). These are rather expensive in that one could
    purchase an HPVelotechnik Streetmachine for the same price, which comes with full suspension,
    more gears, a much better seat, loads of available options and has a higher build quality.