Lietra - how much?

Jussibjoerling

Guest
Saw the Leitra website yesterday. We have a couple of trikes that do the WHIRL Saturday rides but I
am not a big trike fan. However, after seeing the pictures of the Leitra, my mouth started
drooling. The Leitra site did not post prices. Does anyone know aprox cost of one of these drooled
on machines?

"JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> Saw the Leitra website yesterday. We have a couple of trikes that do the WHIRL Saturday rides but
> I am not a big trike fan. However, after seeing the pictures of the Leitra, my mouth started
> drooling. The Leitra site did not post prices. Does anyone know aprox cost of one of these drooled
> on machines?

Prices are listed here http://www.leitra.dk/ in the "prices and ordering"-menu. Just scroll
down past the german dealer info. You need to add the prices for a trike and fairing and any
options you want.

Occasionally C. G. Rasmussen has a used for sale. There was also a used for sale in our recent
clubmag for 15000 DKK or ~2000 usd but for a rather short person (165 cm or 5 foot 5.)

Dunno if its sold.

Mikael

JussiBjoerling wrote:

> Saw the Leitra website yesterday. We have a couple of trikes that do the WHIRL Saturday rides but
> I am not a big trike fan. However, after seeing the pictures of the Leitra, my mouth started
> drooling. The Leitra site did not post prices. Does anyone know aprox cost of one of these drooled
> on machines?

Alan Weiss, who has posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent as recently as this morning, lives in New
Jersey and has a Leitra according to his signature line. Perhaps he will comment.

Mikael Any comments/reviews of the Leitra?

news:<[email protected]>...

JussiBjoerling <[email protected]> wrote:
: Mikael Any comments/reviews of the Leitra?

Haven't ridden it personally, only heard some comments, read the websites... I saw a short summary
of a rider's experiences, in Swedish, on the site of HPVS.

Duh, why don't people write their riding experiences in English? Like if you are shopping for one of
the Dutch models, you can find a large database of experiences - in Dutch...

There are other cool velomobiles besides Leitra, eg. a number of Dutch ones. You have to consider
your intended (or daydreamed) use, the properties of the model and the price...

Leitra is more expensive than some Dutch models: I calculated about 7000,- with some necessary
goodies, while Mango starts at 4500,- about. Leitra might be more intended for practical use, with
its stunning 2 m turning radius (the Dutch models seem to be 7 m and up...). From the comments I've
seen it also seems a bit unstable (eg. when braking hard), because of the short (?) wheelbase, but
dunno if I can really back this claim...

"JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mikael Any comments/reviews of the Leitra?

I went to try one a while back, but wasn't overly impressed. The seat was very uncomfortable for me,
with a far too upright position (it was also very hard and strangely shaped). It was noisy and hot
inside the full fairing despite a solar powered ventilation fan. The trike was also very heavy up
hills, but very fast down them. I didn't think the view out of the windows was particularly good
either. Further I found that it the steering was very twitchy - something one can probably get used
to and is probably caused by the rather short wheelbase. Also, the price is rather high - I believe
a Go-One can be had for a similar price and while I haven't tried one, this looks like a much more
mature velomobile, while the basic Leitra design has remained unchanged almost since its launch. I
would love to recommend the Danish trike, being a dane myself, but I can't help but think that there
must be better solutions out there.

Mads

NB: Incidentally the same goes for the main Danish recumbent manufacturer - Hjordt Specialcykler,
which makes the Bjællby SWB (which I own one of). These are rather expensive in that one could
purchase an HPVelotechnik Streetmachine for the same price, which comes with full suspension,
more gears, a much better seat, loads of available options and has a higher build quality.