Life after valve replacement surgery?

Sl

Guest
Hi all...

My mom, 58, is having heart valve replacement surgery tomorrow morning. They are replacing the
aortic valve and possibly the mitric valve as well - they were unable to determine from their pre-
operative tests if the mitric valve replacement would be necessary and won't know until during the
surgery. In any case, she's opted for the tissue / animal replacement valves rather than the
artificial mechanical valve.

Understandably, she's quite scared about many aspects of this procedure, especially, I think, what
her life is going to be like afterwards. If there's anyone who can share their experiences as to
what sort of life one can live after this type of procedure, both in the near term (recovery) and
the long term, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

I'd also like to know, if anyone does know, how undergoing this procedure might affect one's ability
to undergo physical therapy. To make a long story short, she was in the hospital for about two weeks
with a variety of issues (including a staph infection that the doctors think probably lead to her
heart valve damage), then she was discharged to a nursing home where she was undergoing some
physical therapy to help her regain her strength. After she was there for two weeks, the symptoms of
her valve damage began to manifest and she's been back in the hospital for the last two weeks as the
doctors performed a bunch of tests. So, by the time she's recovered enough from the immediate
effects of the surgery to begin physical therapy again, she'll have been 99% bed-ridden for seven or
eight weeks at a minimum.

Again, I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who can lend me any information about this.

Thanks!

SL wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> My mom, 58, is having heart valve replacement surgery tomorrow morning. They are replacing the
> aortic valve and possibly the mitric valve as well - they were unable to determine from their pre-
> operative tests if the mitric valve replacement would be necessary and won't know until during the
> surgery. In any case, she's opted for the tissue / animal replacement valves rather than the
> artificial mechanical valve.

My guess is that she had rheumatic fever as a child.

> Understandably, she's quite scared about many aspects of this procedure, especially, I think, what
> her life is going to be like afterwards. If there's anyone who can share their experiences as to
> what sort of life one can live after this type of procedure, both in the near term (recovery) and
> the long term, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

The recovery can be quite rapid considering the surgery. And the long-term functionality can be
quite excellent.

> I'd also like to know, if anyone does know, how undergoing this procedure might affect one's
> ability to undergo physical therapy.

Physical therapy is usually recommended irrespective of the surgical outcome.

> To make a long story short, she was in the hospital for about two weeks with a variety of issues
> (including a staph infection that the doctors think probably lead to her heart valve damage), then
> she was discharged to a nursing home where she was undergoing some physical therapy to help her
> regain her strength. After she was there for two weeks, the symptoms of her valve damage began to
> manifest and she's been back in the hospital for the last two weeks as the doctors performed a
> bunch of tests. So, by the time she's recovered enough from the immediate effects of the surgery
> to begin physical therapy again, she'll have been 99% bed-ridden for seven or eight weeks at a
> minimum.

That will make recovery more difficult and the need for physical therapy more pressing.

> Again, I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who can lend me any information about this.
>
> Thanks!

You are welcome.

Humbly,

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

Take a look on the web site www.valvereplacement.com . The site is dedicated to all who have had or
will have valve replacement surgery and how it affects our lives. The forums are open and are
frequented by many who have already experienced valve surgery -- and who have probably experienced
almost any complication you may see in your mom.

HTH SteveE

"SL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all...
>
> My mom, 58, is having heart valve replacement surgery tomorrow morning. They are replacing the
> aortic valve and possibly the mitric valve as well - they were unable to determine from their pre-
> operative tests if the mitric valve replacement would be necessary and won't know until during the
> surgery. In any case, she's opted for the tissue / animal replacement valves rather than the
> artificial mechanical valve.
>
> Understandably, she's quite scared about many aspects of this procedure, especially, I think, what
> her life is going to be like afterwards. If there's anyone who can share their experiences as to
> what sort of life one can live after this type of procedure, both in the near term (recovery) and
> the long term, I would really appreciate hearing from you.
>
> I'd also like to know, if anyone does know, how undergoing this procedure might affect one's
> ability to undergo physical therapy. To make a long story short, she was in the hospital for about
> two weeks with a variety of issues (including a staph infection that the doctors think probably
> lead to her heart valve damage), then she was discharged to a nursing home where she was
> undergoing some physical therapy to help her regain her strength. After she was there for two
> weeks, the symptoms of her valve damage began to manifest and she's been back in the hospital for
> the last two weeks as the doctors performed a bunch of tests. So, by the time she's recovered
> enough from the immediate effects of the surgery to begin physical therapy again, she'll have been
> 99% bed-ridden for seven or eight weeks at a minimum.
>
> Again, I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who can lend me any information about this.
>
> Thanks!

I agree that valvereplacement.com is a good resource.

Valve replacement is somewhat routine now. The recovery from the operation does not take long and
her doctor will probably recommend a cardiac rehab program for her. She will be able to lead a
normal life after she recovers. Everything that she did before, she will able to do after and
probably more with a new valve.

--

Herb
Boulder, CO