Life Expectancy for a Composit Frame?

gbvol54

Jul 3, 2004
I've got an older Trek 5300 (mid/late 90's?) with a composit frame. While it still rides fine and I see no signs of damage, I'm wondering if there is a natural life span for this type frame. Anyone out there with a materials background? Will I see signs of fatigue prior to finding my face planted in asphalt?

Originally posted by gbvol54
I've got an older Trek 5300 (mid/late 90's?) with a composit frame. While it still rides fine and I see no signs of damage, I'm wondering if there is a natural life span for this type frame. Anyone out there with a materials background? Will I see signs of fatigue prior to finding my face planted in asphalt?

I'd like to know the answer too that as I am tempted to buy a composite frame. Trouble is nobody can give me an informed reply.

Originally posted by lfoggy
I'd like to know the answer too that as I am tempted to buy a composite frame. Trouble is nobody can give me an informed reply.
Depends on how it's built in part.A well made CF frame should be no different than a CF fork,which Leonard Zinn in a tech article claims if not damaged has no definite 'life span'. Find something else to worry about.

THe material properties of CF are not as well defined as those of Aluminium, or Steel or Titianium. This is because the material is actually made by the manufacturer according to the properties they want. They aren't likely to release that sort of information because then the competition will have the formula for the number of tows, their orientation, layers, resin types etc. It all has an effect.

I would agree that it would have no definite life span, but a lot of CF frames have lasted quite a while.