Life expectancy of an Aluminum frame?

azdroptop

May 25, 2005
How long would one last under normal riding conditions. Say 5 to 6,000 miles a year. And how about Carbon?

Thanks!

azdroptop said:
How long would one last under normal riding conditions. Say 5 to 6,000 miles a year. And how about Carbon?

Thanks!

As long as the owner cares to ride it and take care of it. There is no other answer. There are Schwinn aluminum 9xx, 7xx, and 5xx frames out there still from the late '80's, as well as old CF Giant Cadexes.

You're better off worrying about things that are more likely to happen than having your aluminum frame wear out (unless your crashing a lot or weigh in at about 350...), thing like getting killed by old satellites falling out of orbit.....

A lot of the earleir carbons are really going strong. I know two guys in my club who have trained on those bikes for atleast 120000km's each in the last 10 years...they're cadex's are still as flexy and as slow as the day they got them but reliability has been awesome ;) :p .

Plenty of old aluminium bikes still going strong...if you wnat a material debate I recommend bikeforums.net lol. Put simply "IT ALL DEPENDS..."

azdroptop said:

Thanks!

I have an ex-racer friend with an old TVT La-Vie claire frame from the 80's, aluminum lugs and carbon main tubes, still rides the bike.

I have a 2001 Cannondale road bike and a 2001 Cannondale mountainbike,both aluminum,and both showing no signs of fatigue.

azdroptop said:
How long would one last under normal riding conditions. Say 5 to 6,000 miles a year. And how about Carbon?!
how heavy are you, and do you spend much time mashing the pedals whilst off the saddle?

Also, what aluminium bike are you thinking of buying?

I'd say the main things effecting the potential life expectancy of a frame are riding style, and obviously weight and how light the frame is. If a 240lb track sprinter buys an 1200g alu/scandium frame, in my opinion, this is a recipe for a short life span.

I'm a bit of a masher, and I range from 190 to 200lbs, and I managed to crack 2 aluminium frames is under 2 years, but they were nothing fancy like a Cannondale.

One thing I've noticed on all these forums is that 'many' people seem to think that cracking aluminium frames is some sort of a myth. I figure this is partly because most people here are enthusiasts who really look after their bikes, rather than mashers who see their bikes primarily as a tool to race the **** out of. If the subject of cracking alu frames is brought up at a racing club, it's clear that alu fatigue is no myth.

Thanks guys. Basically I'm looking for a new bike and I'd like it to be my last, and or last for over 5 years. I currently have a Lemond Carbon/steel and it has great road feel, but I swear I loose power when I stand to get on it. Anyway, I'm looking at all types of material I just didn't know much about aluminum.

531Aussie: I'm 5'9" and my weight ranges from 186 when I'm really watching what I eat to 192 when I'm not. I come from a heavy weight lifting background and I have big strong legs. I wouldn't call myself a masher, but I do like to hammer it now and then. I guess my biggest concern with aluminum is comfort. I don't want to totally give up comfort for speed.

I'm looking at the Cervelo Soloist-I like the TT/Road ability. I did my first TT last week and love it. Anyway, thanks for the input all of you!